Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 02:16 PM   #1
Alonsua
Banned

Default Comment my megacorporation

This is a company that I have been using for some time and I just redid it with some changes.

Assumptions.

1. This organization exists in 2019, born of the merger of four leading companies on November 14, 2003.
2. The original companies had common objectives but they developed their main activities in very different sectors, with the three most important sectors being industrials, healthcare and technology.
3. Today Genesis is basically a large conglomerate corporation which brings together the best of companies such as AT & T, Apple, Samsung, Toyota, General Motors, Samsung, McKesson, United Health, Berkshire Hathaway, ExxonMobil, Royal Dutch Shell, Glencore, AmerisourceBergen, Cardinal Health, Walmart and Amazon.
4. The value of each level of rank has been determined in accordance with the rules of the Social Engineering books.
5. The Patron value has been calculated by doubling it since it has access to cutting-edge technologies.

Tasks:

1. Comment on the implausibility of the organization itself.
2. Give me ideas of how any company that exists today could destroy Genesis.
3. Tell me what the Genesis relationship could be with the national governments, considering that, originally, the company obtained international financing worth hundreds of billions in credit lines.
4. Taking into account that the majority shareholders are the founders of the original companies, bringing together a total of twenty-five percent of the shares among the four, how could they recover total shareholder control?
5. Tell me what it would take to destroy the entire organization, not in terms of applying the mechanics of disadvantages, but in narrative terms.

Link to the pdf.

Last edited by Alonsua; 01-10-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:26 PM   #2
Icelander

Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

When was the changepoint in the alternate history?

And what led to anti-trust legislation being effectively removed in the Western world?

Last edited by Icelander; 01-12-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:42 PM   #3
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
When was the changepoint in the akternate history?

And what led to anti-trust legislation being effectively removed in the Western world?
1. The 19th (nineteenth) century, though the new technologies appeared by the 21th.
2. How would you use them in this case?
Old 01-10-2019, 02:44 PM   #4
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
2. How would you use them in this case?
If they exist, the merger couldn't have happened, as it created exactly what anti-trust legislation exists to prevent.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:00 PM   #5
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
If they exist, the merger couldn't have happened, as it created exactly what anti-trust legislation exists to prevent.
I would need further explanation, otherwise it doesnt seem like the agencies could legimitately prevent the merger. Furthermore "The FTC's 1978 aircraft industry bribery cases grew...", so buy them.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:30 PM   #6
Icelander

Quote:
I would need further explanation, otherwise it doesnt seem like the agencies could legimitately prevent the merger. Furthermore "The FTC's 1978 aircraft industry bribery cases grew...", so buy them.
I assure you that nowhere near that list of "AT&T, Apple, Samsung, Toyota, General Motors, Samsung, McKesson, United Health, Berkshire Hathaway, ExxonMobil, Royal Dutch Shell, Glencore, AmerisourceBergen, Cardinal Health, Walmart and Amazon" would be able to merge without running foul of antitrust laws. Indeed, the mere suggestion would cause riotous laughter in the legal departments of any of these companies.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:31 PM   #7
whswhs

Quote:
I would need further explanation, otherwise it doesnt seem like the agencies could legimitately prevent the merger.
In the United States, at least, the Interstate Commerce Commission and sometimes other agencies can issue an order prohibiting a merger. In classic antitrust cases, executives of the businesses involved sometimes went to prison, though currently massive fines seem more common. And "legitimately" can be stretched; in the Alcoa Aluminum case, the company successfully showed that it had not restricted the supply of aluminum, but had steadily lowered the price and pioneered new uses for its product—in short, had not "monopolized" it in the sense most people envision—but it was still found to be in violation of the law.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:36 PM   #8
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
I assure you that nowhere near that list of "AT&T, Apple, Samsung, Toyota, General Motors, Samsung, McKesson, United Health, Berkshire Hathaway, ExxonMobil, Royal Dutch Shell, Glencore, AmerisourceBergen, Cardinal Health, Walmart and Amazon" would be able to merge without running foul of antitrust laws. Indeed, the mere suggestion would cause riotous laughter in the legal departments of any of these companies.
Oh, thats my way of saying that it leads many sectors, not a single one, lets say that Apple wanted to merge with McKesson, would that work? Otherwise I am open to suggestions to make it work, like getting government support to sink the antitrust laws.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:37 PM   #9
Phantasm

There is also a history of court-ordered dissolution of companies to make its subsidiaries independent - most famously, see Bell Telephone being ordered to split up.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Old 01-10-2019, 03:39 PM   #10
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
In the United States, at least, the Interstate Commerce Commission and sometimes other agencies can issue an order prohibiting a merger. In classic antitrust cases, executives of the businesses involved sometimes went to prison, though currently massive fines seem more common. And "legitimately" can be stretched; in the Alcoa Aluminum case, the company successfully showed that it had not restricted the supply of aluminum, but had steadily lowered the price and pioneered new uses for its product—in short, had not "monopolized" it in the sense most people envision—but it was still found to be in violation of the law.
They forgot to pay the fee (?).
Closed Thread