Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-25-2016, 10:55 AM   #1
Tallor

Default Gauss Bullet Options?

Ultra-Tech seems to imply that all gauss guns use APEP ammo, with the exceptions of shotguns, grenade launchers, and mortars. APEX ammunition is possible with the portable railgun, as it's large enough for such, and will downgrade to a (2) armor divisor.

My question is--can other gauss weapons switch ammo? Can the needles carry a poison, like the dart guns? What about hollow-point bullets, or burrow-darts?
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:32 PM   #2
The_Ryujin

Default Re: Gauss Bullet Options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
Ultra-Tech seems to imply that all gauss guns use APEP ammo, with the exceptions of shotguns, grenade launchers, and mortars. APEX ammunition is possible with the portable railgun, as it's large enough for such, and will downgrade to a (2) armor divisor.

My question is--can other gauss weapons switch ammo? Can the needles carry a poison, like the dart guns? What about hollow-point bullets, or burrow-darts?
As far as RAW, yes. Any warhead option that is available in the same caliber that your gauss weapon is fair game. Though keep in mind that the gauss weapons in Ultra-Tech are mostly meant to be one-trick armor penetration ponies so a lot of the upgrade options give sup-par results when added to a gauss weapon.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:30 PM   #3
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ryujin View Post
As far as RAW, yes. Any warhead option that is available in the same caliber that your gauss weapon is fair game. Though keep in mind that the gauss weapons in Ultra-Tech are mostly meant to be one-trick armor penetration ponies so a lot of the upgrade options give sup-par results when added to a gauss weapon.
What about poisons and/or "burrow darts"? I don't think the latter are given a minimum size...
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:37 PM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

I think Gauss ammo has to be armor piercing, because their thin sliver dimensions wouldn't allow floppy lead.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:59 AM   #5
wellspring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post

I think part of your question is "can gauss ammunition be hollow?"

If that's what you're asking, the answer is yes. Not an engineer myself, but my understanding is that so long as the outer surface is magnetic, the projectile does not need to be solid.
wellspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:32 AM   #6
Gigermann

One question I keep finding myself asking of late is, "why can't it [gauss rifle] be bigger?" Why can't we have a "storm rifle" up-caliber gauss weapon?
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:46 AM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigermann View Post
One question I keep finding myself asking of late is, "why can't it [gauss rifle] be bigger?"
Because it would be heavier and require a larger power supply. Upgrading a 4mm to 10mm would probably result in a weapon that's 5-10x heavier.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:47 AM   #8
Gigermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Because it would be heavier and require a larger power supply. Upgrading a 4mm to 10mm would probably result in a weapon that's 5-10x heavier.
Sure, but how about for 7mm? Yeah, there will be a trade-off, but some folks would suffer the cons for the pros, I'm sure. Logically, the statistics should fall between the rifle and the HMG.

Last edited by Gigermann; 10-26-2016 at 12:01 PM.
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:17 PM   #9
smurf
Banned

Rof and accuracy. Many Gauss weapons are acc 7 and rcl-1 plus avery high rof.

I like Gauss because their weapon cost os high but ammo cost is low.

With a base armour divisor of 3 and 5 at tl11 it is pretty awesome. As for tl9 the prg it is a good weapon.

Sure the other etc, gas powered and etk weapons have more flexibility but the trade is cost.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:43 PM   #10
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
Rof and accuracy. Many Gauss weapons are acc 7 and rcl-1 plus avery high rof.
Sorry. All the Gauss weapons in UT are Rcl 2.

Also, until you get to the 10mm all of them are P- with their default (3) ammo. So things like the Gauss Pistol won't even do Major Wounds on unarmored humans. You need the Gauss PDW to do a Major Wound through concealable Nanoweave and the full-powered Gauss Rifle to do one through a Tacsuit. Even that won't do one through a Hardsuit.

You could give Gauss weapons a # ROF as from HT and that would drop their Rcl to 1 but it'd take away the options to do Suppression Fire and similar things.

I think that Gurps tech assumptions got too realistic for "classic" Gauss weapons in 4e. We no longer believe in the wounding power of extra-fast but extra-small rounds and 4e Rcl can be too narrow to handle a wide spectrum of possible weapon types.

Tags
bullets, gauss weapons