Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
JMD

Default Modular Ability Limitation - Preexisting Abilities

I don't seem to see any thing in the books or forums about a limitation for Modular that would restrict the user to using it only to bolster preexisting abilities. I was thinking -50% since the ability to gain brand new skills and abilities seems like a large part of the usefulness of this advantage.

Any thoughts?
JMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
JCurwen3

Default Re: Modular Ability Limitation - Preexisting Abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
I don't seem to see any thing in the books or forums about a limitation for Modular that would restrict the user to using it only to bolster preexisting abilities. I was thinking -50% since the ability to gain brand new skills and abilities seems like a large part of the usefulness of this advantage.

Any thoughts?
There's nothing in the books that I know of or can see either, but -50% sounds just right. It's the value for the Limited limitation that's most restrictive, so it feels right here. I wouldn't allow a lower Limited limitation value on MAs.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
munin

"...only being able to add points to abilities you already have: -20%." (p. P64).

It's actually very flexible, because not only can you increase the level of any ability you have, you can also add any enhancements you want (GM willing). You could turn a ranged attack into a melee attack by adding Jet or Melee-Capable, or add Affects Insubstantial or Underwater only when you need it, change an offensive attack into a defensive Wall, add Selectivity to turn off enhancements, etc.

If you can only improve some of your abilities, it's more of a limitation.

Last edited by munin; 10-24-2012 at 05:30 PM.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Yeah, "all abilities you already have" include so many of the things in the -30% through -50% versions that so many characters will have that it would be a giveaway at -30% or lower. I suppose the GM could give a deeper discount than -20% for someone who has very few abilities. I wouldn't go as far as -50% for anyone who wasn't a blank slate, though.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
limitations, modular abilities