Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #11
Anaraxes

Default Re: I could use a little help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fschiff View Post
"Somatic" means something else...Just say "Body Movement", please.
What do you think "somatic" means, if not "of or having to do with the body"?
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #12
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
What do you think "somatic" means, if not "of or having to do with the body"?
Of the body, not "of the body movement" - verbal doesn't mean "of or having to do with the mouth" after all. You could call verbal components "oral" but as that does literally mean "of or having to do with the mouth", the obvious giggling and jokes immediately follow.

Somatikinetic? Or am I mixing my languages?
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #13
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Of the body, not "of the body movement" - verbal doesn't mean "of or having to do with the mouth" after all. You could call verbal components "oral" but as that does literally mean "of or having to do with the mouth", the obvious giggling and jokes immediately follow.
Okay, how often do you hear 'verbal exam'? How often do you hear 'oral exam'?
Old 08-13-2012, 08:05 AM   #14
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
I hear "oral exam" far more often in a dental context. As in they are examining my actual mouth. To be honest, we don't do spoken exams at all.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #15
Anaraxes

Quote:
Somatikinetic?
"Gesture" is from Latin, I think. "Somatic" and "kinetic" are both Greek, so there's no miscegenation to fear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
"Oral exam" the usual term in the US for the final exam to get a doctoral degree; usually involves a long session with three professors. It also works for dentists. No help there.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #16
kdtipa

Default Re: I could use a little help... { Powers, V/S/M components and energy swords }

Couldn't you use the accessibility limitation to model the requirement for hand gesture? Less value for an ability that requires one hand free, and more value for an ability the requires both hands free?
kdtipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #17
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Component: Material
Value: as per Trigger, using consumable material.

Component: Foci
Value: -5% to -10%, but see Notes.
Notes: For -5%, this is Accessibility: Must have <specific foci> somewhere on my person, where the foci are small, cheap, and can be purchased or crafted. For -10% the foci are more inconvenient to keep spares - weighing one quarter the casters Basic Lift, costing 1/5th starting Wealth, or unusually awkwardly sized and/or shaped. Foci must merely be worn on belts, placed in medicine bags, etc. to function. For alternatives, consider Gadget limitations for "this one specific item", or see the Hand components below.
Note RAW Triggers can be Foci and not all consumable. As it includes exposure to a foci not just dose of a component

such as Trigger: Brandish Holy Symbol
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #18
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Note RAW Triggers can be Foci and not all consumable. As it includes exposure to a foci not just dose of a component

such as Trigger: Brandish Holy Symbol
Where on earth do we have Trigger: Brandish Holy Symbol instead of Accessibility? That's not exposure to a condition, that's an action.

I mean, fundamentally it doesn't matter at all how you write it down, it's just a percentage value (The basic set has the somewhat weird suggestion, under Alternate Form, that "Can only change during the full moon" is a Trigger, when that sure as heck sounds like a classic Accessibility, and the "only during full moon" example actually exists under Accessibility not under Trigger)
Old 08-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #19
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Where on earth do we have Trigger: Brandish Holy Symbol instead of Accessibility? That's not exposure to a condition, that's an action.

I mean, fundamentally it doesn't matter at all how you write it down, it's just a percentage value (The basic set has the somewhat weird suggestion, under Alternate Form, that "Can only change during the full moon" is a Trigger, when that sure as heck sounds like a classic Accessibility, and the "only during full moon" example actually exists under Accessibility not under Trigger)
It's been so long I don't remember where I got it from. However note Horror's "Must change during the full moon" is Uncontrollable Trigger not Uncontrollable Accessibility.

Edit: It comes down to this Accessibility is about when you can use it, Trigger is about What you need to have to use it.

Accesses ability "only during full moon" you can be underground and still use it even if you can't see the moon.

Trigger "Can only change during the full moon" you need to be exposed to the Full moon. so heavey cloud cover or underground doesn't let you chnage even if it's the night of the full moon.

Last edited by roguebfl; 08-13-2012 at 10:59 AM.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #20
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
I use the following houserules, which were inspired by someone elses take on the subject.

Component: Material
Value: as per Trigger, using consumable material.

Component: Foci
Value: -5% to -10%, but see Notes.
Notes: For -5%, this is Accessibility: Must have <specific foci> somewhere on my person, where the foci are small, cheap, and can be purchased or crafted. For -10% the foci are more inconvenient to keep spares - weighing one quarter the casters Basic Lift, costing 1/5th starting Wealth, or unusually awkwardly sized and/or shaped. Foci must merely be worn on belts, placed in medicine bags, etc. to function. For alternatives, consider Gadget limitations for "this one specific item", or see the Hand components below.

-Rest is snipped-
Wow... Thank you for all of that! It's exactly what I was looking for and more. I'm giggling like a giddy schoolgirl! I'll be saving the table linked in your post. It's very fleshed out and the pricing on the limitations seem fitting! Thanks again!
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
innate attack, limitations, st-based