Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-21-2019, 01:18 AM   #1
thedanster7000

Default [Low-Tech] Adding Axe Head to Pollaxe

I'm trying to add an Axe Head to a Pollaxe, as per Low-Tech Companion 2 p.13, but am not sure what damage to use. The Axe Head description says to use damage -1 relative to Crushing or +1 relative to Impaling. However, the Pollaxe has both, should I use the higher or lower damage value?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:53 AM   #2
Balor Patch

Default Re: [Low-Tech] Adding Axe Head to Pollaxe

I'd say sw+3 except... it's ridiculous. The pollaxe has a hammer on one side, a spike on the other, and another spike at the tip. Where would you put this extra axe blade?
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:13 AM   #3
Anaraxes

I usually imagine a pollaxe as an axe head opposite a hammer head or spike, with a spiked tip, rather than a hammer-and-spike(a warhammer)+spike.

I guess you have to put the extra axe head at right angles to the first one. Which of course just means you need another spike/hammer opposite the second axe! Woohoo! Make sure it's the opposite of the first pair, so you can do swing cr, cut, and imp along with your thrust imp.

Last edited by Anaraxes; 06-21-2019 at 06:16 AM.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:40 AM   #4
DanHoward

A pollaxe is an axe with a poll on the back. If you want a second axe head, you have to remove the poll, which gives you a double-bitted axe.

Quote:
I usually imagine a pollaxe as an axe head opposite a hammer head or spike
The hammer IS the spike; they used the term differently back then. On a warhammer, the "hammer" is the sharp spikey part, not the flat bludgeoning part. The flat bludgeoning part is called a "poll". Another term for warhammer is "pollhammer".

If it doesn't have a poll, it can't be called a pollaxe. Many people confuse pollaxes with halberds.

Last edited by DanHoward; 06-23-2019 at 05:28 PM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:56 AM   #5
Polydamas

Low Tech page 60 "A dueling polearm with an axe or hammer head ... The weapon on the table has a hammer head; if equipped with an axe head instead, it’s identical to the DUELING HALBERD (p. 68)."

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote