Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 11-18-2018, 08:18 AM   #11
Shadekeep

Default Re: Ritual spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Wow, this is certainly extremely detailed... almost disturbingly so. ;)

What do you have that is perhaps a bit more appropriate for use as a standard template for rituals?
This particular process is so thorough because I had the original "real" alchemical operation to work from. As I say, I like verisimilitude. ^_^

For ritualistic spells in general I find it useful to stipulate the following extra parameters at a minimum:
  1. Time involved - how long does it take to carry out the ritual?
  2. Materials needed - what special supplies (raw metals, gemstones, rare plants, animal products, etc) are needed?
  3. Constraints - can this only be performed at a certain time? or in a certain place? or any other specific restrictions?
  4. Additional knowledge - does the caster need to know anything beyond the spell itself, such as the name or location of the target of the spell, or a unique sigil or word?
  5. Consistency - does the ritual need to be completed uninterruptedly, or can it be done in stages with gaps in between?
So to use an example inspired from the demon summoning thread, let's say this is our ritual version of a standard TFT spell, customised to a particular demon:

Summon Greater Demon - Barbatos
Time needed - Same as stipulated in Summon Greater Demon spell.
Materials needed - A live gamecock or pheasant as an offering.
Constraints - Can only be summoned when the Sun is in Sagittarius.
Additional knowledge - Must know the Sigil of Barbatos in order to draw it as part of the summoning.
Consistency - Summons cannot be interrupted, otherwise the entire ritual must be started afresh.

(more info about Barbatos)
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:59 PM   #12
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
A good list, and I could see rituals being an important part of many of those. For example, I think Regeneration should be complex, laborious, time consuming, and expensive. It should also require some pretty choice ingredients.
That sparks an idea... if I move forward with applying ritual rules to the spells I have outlined, it would make sense to split them into two categories; simple and complex.

For example, the Ward spell would be simple since it might only require enough time for the wizard to draw a rune or sigil where the spell is placed (which gives me an idea for a new magic item... invisible chalk).
Old 11-25-2018, 04:18 AM   #13
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Wow, this is certainly extremely detailed... almost disturbingly so. ;)

What do you have that is perhaps a bit more appropriate for use as a standard template for rituals?
I have rules and flavor for rituals in my Theurgy document that might work for you, main thread here.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:52 PM   #14
TippetsTX

Another idea I'm considering is to make Rituals cost 2 IQ instead of 1... because everyone knows that wizards got it too easy with all those 1-point spells. ;)
Old 12-18-2018, 02:00 PM   #15
Terquem

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Gather a hundred villagers every day to each contribute one fatigue and in a few weeks you've got a magic sword.
This is absolutely believable - I visited Newgrange in 2012 and what struck me the most was that you have to imagine that five thousand years ago, someone in a small village of probably no more than a few hundred able bodied adults convinced everyone, EVERYONE* that building that thing was important, and kept everyone working on it for probably thirty years.

*Okay, maybe not everyone, but at least a significant part of the population had to get on board with the idea to even get it off the ground, and estimates are that it took between five and thirty years to finish it.
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:08 PM   #16
hcobb

Rituals cost no IQ because they are not memorized.

Instead the writing is on the walls of your dedicated ritual space.

Your group follows along for a few weeks to make your dingus.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:18 PM   #17
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Rituals cost no IQ because they are not memorized.

Instead the writing is on the walls of your dedicated ritual space.
I never considered that spell costs were related to memorization, at least not directly. To me, the IQ cost represents the study and effort that goes into learning the spells just like with talents. Therefore, my logic for increasing the cost of Rituals is simply a result of them being more involved than regular spells.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 12-18-2018 at 02:49 PM.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:28 PM   #18
TippetsTX

A few thoughts about how rituals might work... I like the idea that because of their potency (several of the spells I listed previously are permanent or at least semi-permanent) the wizard must sacrifice 'potential' energy in the form of XP in addition to the initial ST that must be spent to trigger the magical effect (ST is the spark, but XP is the fuel). And since I like simple math, the XP cost could be the IQ of the spell times 10.

TBH, I also like the idea of using IQ as the factoring agent for other potential 'costs'. For example...
  • XP cost = IQ x 10
  • Material cost = IQ x $100
  • Preparation time = IQ in hours
  • Casting time = IQ in turns
Old 04-21-2019, 10:20 PM   #19
JLV

One suggestion that Joe made elsewhere is something I like -- a Ritual might be a good way to reduce Spell fatigue/mana costs. The longer the ritual lasts, the lower the cost. I think that might have some real possibilities. And making them cost 2 IQ points in order to gain that potential benefit would then make a lot of sense...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:09 AM   #20
FireHorse

I might speculate that rituals could [also/alternatively] increase the likelihood of spell casting success.

Three Notions, Not Mutually Exclusive

Ritual Magic [talent?]

Ritual Magic acts like a general spell 'booster', allowing a spellcaster to perform any other spell with some kind of benefit: Better chances, or lower Mana/ST cost, or perhaps even both, but at the cost of greatly increased casting time.

This has the benefit of being very general — the type of ritual is not specified, and doesn't need to be. The mathematical effects are the same (whatever they may be), regardless.

…and/or…

Circle Magic [talent? or spell?]

Perhaps 'Circle Magic' depends on the complexity of the circle. The quick, simple circle scratched into the dirt with your staff (1-2 turns to make) gives you only a very small bonus.

But the multi-layered web of interlocking circles and maddening geometric shapes that you spent a month carving into stone (and filling in the lines with molten gold), and then surrounded by a ring of 360 candles and 12 chanting acolytes… well, that circle is quite a bit more effective.

Or maybe Circle Magic has tiers, and you need the higher levels to make more complex circles. (Or maybe Circle Magic is itself a tier of Ritual Magic?)

Either way, this is more specific, and the bonus you can potentially get out of it is much greater — but the degree of bonus is inversely proportionate to its usefulness in combat.

…and/or…

Even more Specific…? [spells, I think]

You might have much more narrowly-applied kinds of rituals, with consequently more dramatic effects.

For example, 'Rain Dance' might be a ritual that only works with weather spells — so it can increase the Magic Rainstorm spell's area of effect (enough to make it practical for saving whole villages from drought), or it can turn Lightning into Chain Lightning (have fun inventing that one), that kind of thing.

This might be going too far though, because it invites a whole host of weird 'rituals' that people might dream up.

I rather like the other two though, especially the Circle thing. (If Staves are a thing, it seems only proper that Circles should be too.)
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote