Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-15-2019, 06:03 AM   #31
Barantor

Default Re: Working with new components

We used brand new expo vis-a-vis wet erase thin tip markers and it wiped off the cards with a little bit of water after an hour of use easily.

Dry erase we had used previously wiped off with any incidental contact on the cards and was not useful. They were also thin line tip.
Barantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:21 AM   #32
larsdangly

I ran into an unexpected issue with dry erase markers: I absent mindedly used one to make a mark on my Chessex battle mat and it was very hard to get off, even with solvents.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:02 AM   #33
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I ran into an unexpected issue with dry erase markers: I absent mindedly used one to make a mark on my Chessex battle mat and it was very hard to get off, even with solvents.
Chessex mats are specifically for water soluble OHP markers. I have permanent marks on mine because I did not pay attention to that fact.
Chris Rice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:23 AM   #34
larsdangly

Lesson learned!
Old 04-15-2019, 09:53 PM   #35
Tom H.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
Chessex mats are specifically for water soluble OHP markers. I have permanent marks on mine because I did not pay attention to that fact.
Yes, this is tragic. I too have a scarred Chessex Megamat from dyr-erase markers.

The pity is that this is such an easy mistake to make. I have both wet- and dry-erase markers in the same Expo brand. I picked up the wrong ones in the heat of battle. I am making a deliberate effort to segregate these types going forward.

A better cleaning solution

Try rubbing the marks off with Magic Erasers.

Those are the white looking sponges that are amazing at gripping and easily removing soap scum from you bathroom.

Effect:
They will lighten the marks. They can remove marks with intense use in a small area.
(You are supposed to moisten the erasers first.)

Unfortunately, I had drawn some lengthy river boundaries on my mat. And it's impractical to completely remove that much markup. Also beware; the more you use the eraser the likelier you are to fade the grid lines on your mat as well.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:32 PM   #36
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA_Grandpa View Post
When I can't find my preferred material which is artist illustration board, I pickup a few extra drink coasters from the local steak house. I print my counters and paste them to the coasters and then cut them out. Cheap and effective.
That's actually pretty brilliant! Thanks for sharing that one! ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:05 AM   #37
the1weasel

Quote:
I used Sharpie on my Chessex hex mat--to convert it to Megahex format. I think i've given it up though due to the size incompatibility.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:53 PM   #38
larsdangly

Here's another quandry for the hive mind: How do you store your Dyson Logos rubber battle mats when they are not being used? They are such great components but they are also a pretty unusual material and I'm not sure what I should be doing to keep them in good shape.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:32 PM   #39
Anaraxes

Quote:
How do you store your Dyson Logos rubber battle mats
I don't own any, but if they're actually made out of rubber, then general rules for storing rubber things should work:
  • Store them relaxed -- flat rather than rolled or folded, or on edge
  • Keep them away from light, especially UV (sunlight)
  • Keep them away from oxygen - say sealed in ziploc bags, if you can find some to fit
  • Keep them cool
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:50 PM   #40
GlennDoren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
I don't own any, but if they're actually made out of rubber, then general rules for storing rubber things should work:
  • Store them relaxed -- flat rather than rolled or folded, or on edge
  • Keep them away from light, especially UV (sunlight)
  • Keep them away from oxygen - say sealed in ziploc bags, if you can find some to fit
  • Keep them cool
I have the same question--what's the best way to store these mats? I also ordered a few of the Ogre mats from SJG. Rolling em up? Maybe if around a tube perhaps. Keep flat seems a tough proposition unless there's a good suggestion for what box to lay them flat in (ummmm, a pizza box? :-| )

Suggestions, SJG?

--g
GlennDoren is offline   Reply With Quote