Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 04-13-2019, 12:46 PM   #51
jfleisher

Default Re: Fnord Con M6 M7 maps

My four mats were folded for shipping as well, but it looks like no lasting damage was done.

My Ogre Miniatures Blog: http://ogreminiatures.blogspot.com
jfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:29 PM   #52
HeatDeath

I brought mine home from Fnordcon rolled up and then folded once in the middle to form a V. This material will put up with being packed like that for most of a day with no ill effects, but I probably wouldn't push it too much farther than that.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:25 PM   #53
ColBosch

I really think that, for most of us willing to drop $30 on two feet-by-two feet of completely optional playing area, a few extra bucks in shipping to keep our investments safe from, well, shippers is well worth it.

I have a suggestion. In Warehouse 23, add a dropdown to each playmat's page, like when choosing a size for a shirt. In that menu, have options for shipping the mat folded (no extra charge) or rolled (say, +$5 or whatever). If someone selects "folded," pop up a window saying that SJ Games does not recommend shipping this way and that y'all can't be liable for creases caused by rough handling during shipping. Similarly, if they choose "rolled," pop up something saying that they'll ship separately and that rolled playmats don't qualify for free shipping. I mean, say these things professionally, but let us decide if we're willing to accept the risk to save a few bucks.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:03 PM   #54
Oldgamer72

So, I'm glad I happened to read the last couple days posts or I wouldn't of known about the folded/rolled option on the playmats. I completed my backerkit on the first day and this wasn't an option or even mentioned(I did think, at the time that the shipping seemed low). I just went back and checked and they were the folded option. I changed them to rolled because, as already mentioned, even under the most direst of extreme circumstances "only a monster would fold a neoprene backed cloth playmat". I may have missed it but this should be a Kickstarter Update so people who don't read the forums know and, if necessary, change their backerkit order. Thanks for keeping up the good fight Phil, but please let it be known to all the backers.
Oldgamer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:42 AM   #55
Stabliser

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
NOTE: The mats are offered rolled or folded in BackerKit. Personally, I would _never_ fold a neoprene-backed cloth playmat. It is way, way too easy to permanently damage a playmat by folding it. The folded option is for those who wish to save some bucks in shipping, yes, but you run the risk of your playmat being forever destroyed. It can arrive destroyed if it has been folded when the mailing company stacks a lot of packages and crushes your playmat.
As Im saving $28 on shipping I guess I know what Id spend it on if one of the mats arrived in an unsuitable condition from being folded.
My M1,2&3 arrived folded (which bothered me at the time) but all seemed fine so I'll take the chance again. They will not be stored folded after arrival.
Stabliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:06 AM   #56
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgamer72 View Post
Thanks for keeping up the good fight Phil, but please let it be known to all the backers.
And our office. I may have mentioned that there are split opinions when it comes to folded vs rolled playmats.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:36 AM   #57
Izzy_B

Quote:
And our office. I may have mentioned that there are split opinions when it comes to folded vs rolled playmats.
Jeez, you'd think the CEO's opinion would carry more weight
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:40 AM   #58
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy_B View Post
Jeez, you'd think the CEO's opinion would carry more weight
If we were like most companies, yes. Our office, though, works very closely together and Steve and I prefer to work with the team rather than dictate terms. Disagreements and discussions can make for better games.

There are times when "this is how it is" happens. We're not yet there on the rolled vs folded debate (though it is coming; only a monster would fold a playmat).
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:08 AM   #59
Izzy_B

Quote:
If we were like most companies, yes. Our office, though, works very closely together and Steve and I prefer to work with the team rather than dictate terms. Disagreements and discussions can make for better games.

There are times when "this is how it is" happens. We're not yet there on the rolled vs folded debate (though it is coming; only a monster would fold a playmat).
Well if you have monsters working in W23, thats that. My own limited experience in running retail internet sales is that customers who receive product damaged in shipping can get monstrous really quickly and returns/replacements arent good for the bottom line.

But I respect that you have your process and here I'm just some random guy whose wife wonders why he keeps ordering more stuff for "that tank game" ^_^
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:57 PM   #60
Buzzardo

Quote:
I've got an idea for an accessory designed specifically for storing playmats. Just need time to work at it.
I'm looking forward to this. I'll keep mine in their cardboard tubes for now, till I hear what this might be.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote