Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-15-2020, 06:07 AM   #11
David Bofinger

Default Re: How common are healing potions?

Sometimes I have a plentiful cheap supply of healing potions in a particular place, but they are perishable so you can't take them somewhere else. I think it adds to the industrial magic feel: a location that matters, though it isn't a city or dungeon or castle.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:08 PM   #12
Helborn

It depends on the campaign. Some campaigns have plentiful Health potions and others do not. Frankly, given the lethality of TFT, I prefer to have plentiful Health potions. At a higher level (above 40 CP) I have even provided Revival potions as treasure
Old 09-18-2020, 10:45 PM   #13
Axly Suregrip

I like to place other healing items... and they are perishable. For example, magical healing mushrooms or berries. The have to experiment with them to learn what they can do and they don't keep very long after being picked.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 02:47 PM   #14
Anomylous

Point I feel is worth making: Give your players less money, and the list price of healing potions (as well as many other useful items) becomes a major factor limiting their use.

Also, if characters don't tend to make a lot of money from adventuring, talents that let them earn money at regular jobs become important! Plus, it makes sense from a worldbuilding perspective: if adventuring is reliably more lucrative than working a regular job, just about everyone will spend their weekends tromping through the wilderness looking for things to kill. If that's not the case in your setting, there's probably a good economic reason for it.

As for alternate modes of healing: Physicker and bed rest is where it's at. I've also introduced a healing spell in my campaign, which works much more slowly than a potion but is easily within the reach of the average party wizard.
Anomylous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 03:40 PM   #15
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomylous View Post
Point I feel is worth making: Give your players less money, and the list price of healing potions (as well as many other useful items) becomes a major factor limiting their use.

Also, if characters don't tend to make a lot of money from adventuring, talents that let them earn money at regular jobs become important! Plus, it makes sense from a worldbuilding perspective: if adventuring is reliably more lucrative than working a regular job, just about everyone will spend their weekends tromping through the wilderness looking for things to kill. If that's not the case in your setting, there's probably a good economic reason for it.

As for alternate modes of healing: Physicker and bed rest is where it's at. I've also introduced a healing spell in my campaign, which works much more slowly than a potion but is easily within the reach of the average party wizard.
I think you're right that my initial adventures probably dish out the gold too freely. That's an adjustment I'm making.

So, how much moolah do your players expect during your everyday labyrinth slog?
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:26 PM   #16
hcobb

If the adventures don't pay more than the $200/wk wage a talentless starting character can make in a common job then why go adventuring?
Old 09-20-2020, 05:19 PM   #17
Anomylous

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
If the adventures don't pay more than the $200/wk wage a talentless starting character can make in a common job then why go adventuring?
Because it's fun?
Anomylous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:44 AM   #18
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomylous View Post
Because it's fun?
I approve of this message.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:32 AM   #19
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Decoding Henry for others (assuming I'm right):

This in Henry making an off-topic jab at the weirdness of his own literal reading of the TABLE OF JOBS in ITL. I may be the only person who saw that and was annoyed enough in the right way that I actually bothered to look at that table to see what on Cidri he was talking about, and I think he's referring to the Town Wizard job at the IQ 17-18 level, which is a "talentless starting character" in the sense of Henry's so-called "typical" ST 6 DX 8 IQ 18 starting female goblin, which in the context of Henry's so frequent posts, seems to make up 80% of his PC populations. So this is coded commentary that his own over-literal reading is silly, in that the table indicates a wizard can get paid $200/week working as a town wizard with no talents (and if read literally enough, even with no spells, since it just lists IQ as a requirement).
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote