Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-08-2020, 05:33 PM   #1
thom

Default Cost of reducing multiple Blocks penalty?

OK experts, say we use the multiple blocks rule from MA, p 123. Exactly how would you go about pricing reducing the penalty by half without using the Trained by a Master or Weapon Master advantages? I can't seem to find the formula for getting the cost right. Thanks for any help!

thom
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 05:56 PM   #2
Jareth Valar

Default Re: Cost of reducing multiple Blocks penalty?

We've added non-cinematic versions of those Advantages. Basically reduced the point cost and removed access to cinematic skills and techniques.

I believe we reduced then by 10 points. We got the idea from a Pyramid article I believe.

I'm at work right now and away from books, but I will look for the article.
Jareth Valar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:06 AM   #3
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
say we use the multiple blocks rule from MA, p 123.
Exactly how would you go about pricing reducing the penalty by half without using the Trained by a Master or Weapon Master advantages?
Extra Arm (Shield Mount -80%) [2] would normally allow you another unpenalized block, I think?

Instead of offsetting one instance of -5 (effective +5 once) to make you -0 on your 2nd block maybe if you spread that out to +3 on the 2nd block (only net -2) and +2 on the 3rd block (only net -3) that could work?

The 4th block should be -5 since you're effectively doing a 2nd block with your Shield Mount at that point.

This would normally require a 2nd shield though, so having a 2nd arm wielding the same shield might require some complications like the 'Weapon Swap' perk, which I think has to be a free action on YOUR turn, not your attacker's, so this might not be feasible...
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:26 AM   #4
AlexanderHowl

Not really possible outside of a cinematic game with current skills, though you could potentially design a skill that allows for more efficient blocks with bucklers. Perhaps we could call it Bouclier (which is just French for shield), make it a DX/A skill, and give it equivalent bonuses/penalties as for fencing parries. It would give a +3 bonus to block during a retreat, would only apply a -2 to block per extra block in a turn, and suffer encumbrance penalties. I think that could be a realistic way of having an improved block capabilities.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blocking