Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-18-2020, 07:38 AM   #1
Anders

Default New perks

Weather Nose

You get a bonus equal to your Acute Taste/Smell level when using Weather Sense (not Meteorology).
Old 07-18-2020, 08:09 AM   #2
Anaraxes

Default Re: New perks

I Can Feel a Storm Coming

Characters with Chronic Pain from an old war wound or rheumatism can sense upcoming weather events. Add a bonus of magnitude equal to the Chronic Pain penalty to Weather Sense rolls, cancelling out the pain penalty during attacks and providing a bonus on good days when the self-control roll is made.

You can take Weather Sense instead of Meteorology at any TL, not just TL4 and below.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:34 PM   #3
kirbwarrior

I love when I noticed that ESD is just a skill bonus tied with Distinctive Features, so I made a few perks using the same formula for other skills;

Unsettling - Intimidation. You have something about you that gets under people's skin or bothers them just so. It's not enough to make for bad impressions but can be used to intimidate others. In a cinematic campaign this was taken as "Bald" once XD

Monkey Arms - Climbing. Not quite Brachiator, but you are still better at climbing, swinging, etc. However, your arms and legs look a little odd and you tend to walk in an obvious manner.

Twitchy Hands - Fast Draw. Your fingers move with little thought on your part and seem to know where you hide things on yourself. The behavior does slightly stick out, and might even qualify for something like Dishonest Face.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:06 AM   #4
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I love when I noticed that ESD is just a skill bonus tied with Distinctive Features, so I made a few perks using the same formula for other skills.
What is ESD?
Old 07-19-2020, 04:26 AM   #5
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
What is ESD?
Extreme Sexual Dimorphism. It's a mouthful so I just acronym it. It's basically a perk +1 bonus to a skill with downsides.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:27 AM   #6
Gumby Bush

Developing Item

This is a generalization of Named Possession. Pick a source. As you gain Character Points, your item gains value in a way related to that source at a rate of 1/10th campaign starting wealth per Character Point you gain. This might be mundane, for a gunsmith who is constantly tinkering with her SMG; magical, as in the original Named Possession perk; or anything else the GM allows.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:41 PM   #7
Donny Brook

Effective Body Mechanics

The character has +20% to Basic Lift for either (choose at time the perk is taken):

-one second on any given task (useful to: heave a weight up onto something or topple something over, for example); or

-one narrow, specific type of task defined by at least two of: shape/structure of object, encumbrance category, terrain, body part(s) used, emotional state, (maybe others).
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:26 AM   #8
Gef

Kudos to the foregoing.

Levitation

Game-mechanically equivalent to Accessory: Chair.

PS: I mentioned this one before in a thread for power perks; obviously it's not meant for realistic settings.

Last edited by Gef; 07-20-2020 at 03:45 AM.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:36 AM   #9
Gef

Innocuous

Something about you (specify) that would normally draw comment or ire, people just don't notice unless you want them to (or they have some power of true seeing). If can't directly endanger them, and if it's something that would normally warrant a disadvantage, you don't get credit for it. People aren't blind, but they react to you as if the social circusmtances were different. Here are some examples:

Innocuous Age: This one's from Phineous and Ferb. Sure the bystander may ask, "Aren't you a little young to be flying a starship?" but he's non-plussed when they answer "Yes, we are."

Innocuous Appearance: You may be a hideous monster, but you can walk about town and greet the folks with nobody blanching or running scared, as if it were Halloween.

Innocuous Carry: You can go armed and not get hassled. Brandish the weapon, let alone attack somebody, and that changes.

Innocuous Dress: You can wear an aloha print and flip-flops to a black tie party, or a tux to a pool party, ignore the "No shoes, no shirt - no service" sign.

Innocuous Habit: Light up in front of the No Smoking sign.

Innocuous PDA: From necking to dirty dancing, this perk protects your partner too, but only when he's returning affection to you, not when he dances with the next girl.

If you want to turn it into a telepathy power, use a Cosmic Modular Ability (Limited). Each level allows you to make people ignore one inappropriate thing about you, although at higher levels you might be better off with Invisibiliy.

As Kromm noted when I posted originally, what this perk mainly does is allow a player to visualize his character in a certain way that would not otherwise fit the campaign. I'd say it still requires at least a cinematic if not fantasy setting, except that there are some people who push the envelop with flamboyant behavior like "wardrobe malfunctions" and get away with it sans censure.

Last edited by Gef; 07-20-2020 at 03:57 AM.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 04:39 AM   #10
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
Kudos to the foregoing.

Levitation

Game-mechanically equivalent to Accessory: Chair.

PS: I mentioned this one before in a thread for power perks; obviously it's not meant for realistic settings.
I think I might allow that as a Psychokinesis perk, though you'd need a second level if you wanted to be able to move (at roughly the speed and agility of an office chair on rollers, or perhaps a regular wheel-chair). I think I'd also allow something like that as the PK equivalent of Accessory: Skates. I don't think I'd allow it for Accessory: Bicycle, but I'd be willing to give a fairly decent discount on the regular Levitation ability (something like 'Very low flight ceiling').

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perks