Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-24-2020, 12:50 PM   #1951
Anders

Default Re: New Sci Fi Setting Seeds

According to the equivalence principle, acceleration is identical to gravity.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:57 PM   #1952
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Spin Gravity seems like it's a different subject than whether or not space can be warped. Could you explain the connection.
Is there supposed to be a connection? I don't recall him mentioning space being warped.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 01:15 PM   #1953
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Is there supposed to be a connection? I don't recall him mentioning space being warped.
I posted a question and got ignored. This led to my mistaking another post as an answer.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 01:24 PM   #1954
Anders

Quote:
I posted a question and got ignored. This led to my mistaking another post as an answer.
And I thought by space being warped you meant gravity. My bad.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:24 PM   #1955
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Spin Gravity seems like it's a different subject than whether or not space can be warped. Could you explain the connection.
I believe Anders and David Johnson2 actually answered that question for me in following posts:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
EDIT: OK, it looks like the confusion was cleared up in the posts above, one made in the same minute I made this post.

Last edited by Alden Loveshade; 10-24-2020 at 01:54 PM. Reason: confusion cleared up
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:32 PM   #1956
GURPS Fox

Well, if you guys want, I can start a worldbuilding thread on a scifi/punk setting that I've been working on called 'A New World: A World of Conflict and Sorrow' here in the forums... it's still a work in progress though...
GURPS Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:02 PM   #1957
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
More that at any point, acceleration and gravity cannot be experimentally distinguished from one another.

This seems to be a foundation point of general relativity. I don't know enough to even guess as to the latest theories that might or might not say something different.

When I was going to college, the joke about the physics department was that they used the same questions for the final tests each year. This was safe, because they changed the answers for each test.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:29 PM   #1958
Astromancer

Quote:
While reading the October 17-23, 2020 New Scientist I read an article that said they're making new dimensions in the lab. (How to build a Higher Dimension by Jon Cartwright).

These are small dimensions, but electrons are jumping through them and they want to use these dimensions to hook up circuits to each other. They suggest this will make quantum computers more workable.

If they're making new dimensions in the lab, what does that say about space warps? Does this mean the Alcubierre Drive is now hard science?
Since, as this article says, they are making new dimensions in the laboratory now in 2020, let's try this idea.

A highly talented grad student in 2025 decided to see if he could create a dimension she could put a molecule through. People had moved electrons through these artificial dimensions why not a molecule. She succeeded and got more ambitious. By 2030 she could move dust grain-sized objects through artificial dimensions. The race is on to create a functional teleporter.

The winner will have the greatest tool both for war and peacetime prosperity ever made.

Basically, a technothriller than can jump into being just about anything else you want.

Ancora Imparo
Old 10-27-2020, 12:54 PM   #1959
Vikingv

Quote:
Originally Posted by GURPS Fox View Post
Well, if you guys want, I can start a worldbuilding thread on a scifi/punk setting that I've been working on called 'A New World: A World of Conflict and Sorrow' here in the forums... it's still a work in progress though...
Do it! That is what we live for (well. sort of)
Old 10-27-2020, 05:30 PM   #1960
Astromancer

Another take on the New Scientist article would be the building stargates. In a universe where physical objects can't move at light speed, or faster, making new dimensions to bypass vast amounts of space.

The catch is simply that space is simply part of timespace. If you don't know how to prevent time travel you can have catastrophes.

Ancora Imparo