Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 07-20-2020, 02:53 AM   #1
Steve Plambeck

Default Staff Mana without using Experience Points

I teased in the thread on XP I had a personal solution to decouple Staff Mana from the XP system. This would be desirable if you felt spending XP on things besides Attribute increases was gamey. You could use this as a model and tweak it to your heart's content.

First, drop all the Staff spells except the original IQ 8 one. It's not that Staves have to lose any of their new features. Instead, these features become conferred on a wizard's Staff automatically as the wizard improves. Even SJ has pointed out that a wizard's Staff doesn't actually change, it's really the wizard's learning and ability to do things with the Staff that are changing. The only ability I want to talk about here though is the Mana storage that ITL introduced with Staff II.

My preferred method is to allow the wizards to store increasing levels of Mana in their Staves as they acquire progressively higher and more expensive wizardry talents. But if you don't like or want wizardry talents, just ignore that part and only go by the IQ levels suggested below. Ok, at:

IQ 8 - the figure takes the Adept talent. Being IQ 8 it can learn the Staff spell and create a Staff, but at this level it has no clue how to store any Mana in it yet.

IQ 11 - the figure takes the Wizardry talent, which confers (among whatever else) the ability to store Mana in their Staff equal to their own ST minus 6 (a minimum of 2, assuming they have a minimum ST of 8).

IQ 14 - the figure takes the Sorcery talent, which confers (among whatever else) the ability to store Mana in their Staff equal to their own ST minus 4 (for a minimum of 4).

IQ 17 - the figure takes the Thaumaturge talent, which confers (among whatever else) the ability to store Mana in their Staff equal to their own ST minus 2 (for a minimum of 6).

IQ 20 - the figure takes the Enchanter talent, which confers (among whatever else) the ability to store Mana in their Staff equal to their own full ST (for a minimum of 8).

IQ 23 - the figure takes the Arch Mage talent, which confers (among whatever else) the ability to store Mana in their Staff equal to their own ST times 2 (for a minimum of 16). (Too generous? Well, you don't have to go this far).

So that's it. Keep in mind this is only setting the maximum Mana capacity for Staves. These wizards would still have to follow the rules to charge the Mana, use the Mana, and recharge the Mana.

This differs from RAW in that XP would no longer be spent on Mana Staff capacity. That capacity could not increase however without spending XP to increase either ST or IQ. As worded above, the Mana capacity of the Staff increases 1 if the wizard's ST went up 1. Or, the Mana capacity goes up 2 each time the IQ increase 3, but you could spread those levels out differently if you wanted too.

Either way, the Mana capacity doesn't go up unless XP gets spent on Attribute increases, which means it goes up more slowly as the figure's Attribute total grows. Yet, that capacity will always be relative to whatever ST the wizard started with or grew to. With a big jump to double capacity coming later (under RAW that's at IQ 17 with Staff V, but in my example I put it quite a bit later, not that you couldn't move that up if you wanted to).

To review, in my example the progression of increasing Staff Mana levels from low to high is: 0 (zero), ST-6, ST-4, ST-2, full ST, and double ST.

Some sample builds and their corresponding Staff Mana capacities using the IQ cutoffs from above:

ST 09, IQ 11: 3 Mana (9-6)
ST 08, IQ 14: 4 Mana (8-4)
ST 12, IQ 12: 6 Mana (12-6)
ST 11, IQ 14: 7 Mana (11-4)
ST 13, IQ 11: 7 Mana (13-6) (would be DX 8 as a 32-pointer)
ST 10, IQ 17: 8 Mana (10-2)
ST 10, IQ 20: 10 Mana (STx1)
ST 09, IQ 23: 18 Mana (STx2)
Old 07-21-2020, 04:10 PM   #2
Helborn

Default Re: Staff Mana without using Experience Points

I like your proposal though RAW mana is based on the Wizard's IQ not ST. I have always preferred that mana be a reflection of the Wizard's ST so that the wizard doubles or triples his casting ability rather than quadruples it or even more.....

SJ's progression is every 2 IQ pts beginning with IQ11 which IMHO is better since it is more attainable. IQ 23 is beyond most lifetimes....
Old 07-23-2020, 01:56 AM   #3
Steve Plambeck

Default Re: Staff Mana without using Experience Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helborn View Post
I like your proposal though RAW mana is based on the Wizard's IQ not ST. I have always preferred that mana be a reflection of the Wizard's ST so that the wizard doubles or triples his casting ability rather than quadruples it or even more.....

SJ's progression is every 2 IQ pts beginning with IQ11 which IMHO is better since it is more attainable. IQ 23 is beyond most lifetimes....
Where I spread out the intervals at every 3 IQ, you could just as easily spread them out only by 2 points. Then using the same rate of Mana increase as above, you'd get to Mana = 2X at IQ 18, which is very close to where the doubling occurs in the RAW (IQ 17 with Staff V).

One could also substitute IQ for ST as the basis of Staff Mana in the formula I gave. As Staff Mana becomes interchangeable with ST for spells after you have it, starting with ST in the first place felt a little more logical to me. It also seems interesting to force the wizard into making the choice: do I increase my Staff Mana 1 point immediately by increasing my ST, or do I have the patience to wait until I increase my IQ 2 or 3 more, take the next wizardry talent, and then get 2 more Staff Mana automatically? Decisions, decisions!

Also I really wrote the rule for a game I'm designing, and ST was the nearest TFT equivalent I could translate to from own design.