Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
Jeminai

Default That's a fast archer!

Can anyone go through the game mechanics to explain how to recreate what this guy does?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zGnxeSbb3g
Old 04-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
Mateus

Default Re: That's a fast archer!

I could not find it in a fast search, but we have a thread not very old regarding this exactly same video. Try to search, maybe you have better luck tham I.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
ErhnamDJ

I think this is the third or fourth time this has come up. I would model it as Performance specialized in a bow-shaped object. That's not an example of something useful for harming anything.

My blog.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
DanHoward

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=100712
Old 04-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

You can "machine gun" with a latex boffer shaped like a sword half a dozen hits a second. The rules for Rapid Strikes are clearly broken! :)
Old 04-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
Anthony

Actually, the rules for Rapid Strike are broken; fast strikes are not terribly hard to pull off, they just don't do much damage. It should probably be something like:

Rapid Strike: attack twice. Multiply your ST by 0.7 -- this affects both damage and Min ST, so rapid strike can only be done with a light weight weapon.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Rapid Strike: attack twice. Multiply your ST by 0.7 -- this affects both damage and Min ST, so rapid strike can only be done with a light weight weapon.
If multiplying by 1.5 gives GURPS a "Math is hard!" reputation, you can only imagine what multiplying by 0.7 will bring.

My GURPS blog.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
If multiplying by 1.5 gives GURPS a "Math is hard!" reputation, you can only imagine what multiplying by 0.7 will bring.
For much of the ST spectrum, you could just make it -1 per die and it would be a close match. (Not that I'm endorsing that variant Rapid Strike; I think there should be more than just a damage penalty.)
Old 04-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
For much of the ST spectrum, you could just make it -1 per die and it would be a close match. (Not that I'm endorsing that variant Rapid Strike; I think there should be more than just a damage penalty.)
The damage penalty is much more severe than the attack penalty in RAW, and it frequently results in an attack penalty -- if you have ST 11 and rapid strike with a broadsword (min ST 10), your effective ST drops to 8, meaning your damage drops from 1d+2 to 1d-1 (or thrust from 1d+1 to 1d-1), plus you get a -2 to hit due to ST lower than the min ST of the weapon
Old 04-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #10
Jeminai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
I think this is the third or fourth time this has come up. I would model it as Performance specialized in a bow-shaped object. That's not an example of something useful for harming anything.
He is shooting with enough force to piece several inches into a target through ring mail. I would say that is deadly force. Also the 11 arrows he puts in the air before the first hits the ground would have the same efficiency of arrows fired at 1/2 D range.

Tags
bow art