Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Board and Dice Games

Old 05-11-2019, 07:57 PM   #1
Cundiff

Default Bolo and Slammers Hammers Inspired Scenarios?

Has anyone ever thought about reading Laumer's or (who ever wrote Slammers) books with the purpose of using them as design basics for new Ogre Scenarios?

Or, considering that, how about designing counters and units based upon those universes? Seems like something that's just Begging to be done.
Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:43 AM   #2
tomc

Default Re: Bolo and Slammers Hammers Inspired Scenarios?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cundiff View Post
Has anyone ever thought about reading Laumer's or (who ever wrote Slammers) books with the purpose of using them as design basics for new Ogre Scenarios?
David Drake wrote Hammer's Slammers. If you like Military Sci Fi it's top notch stuff.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:42 AM   #3
Cundiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
David Drake wrote Hammer's Slammers. If you like Military Sci Fi it's top notch stuff.
Yes, I love Military Sci-Fi and have read and collected all of the Slammer stories. Just couldn't recall the author. I've recently come to know John Hemry (writing as Jack Campbell). He's writing the Lost Fleet, Lost Planets, and Genesis Fleet series. He also wrote Stark's Marines, which I think might translate well to Ogre. The two "Fleet" series are more in line with GMT's new Talon series.

Speaking of Talon, I wonder if there might be a willingness to consider a sort of "joint" cooperative effort to develop Talon and Ogre "cooperating" games? That is to say write variant rules so the two games can be used together rather akin to how the Confederated Fleets and the Bolos did in Laumer's books.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:31 PM   #4
wolf90

I realize this is seriously threatening to drag this thread off topic, but while we're recommending authors, I've been enjoying all the novels by Ian Douglas recently, perhaps more commonly known as William H. Keith Jr from Traveller fame. If you haven't read them, they are well worth your time. Not too much that can carry over to Ogre, but great reads nonetheless.

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:25 PM   #5
Cundiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
I realize this is seriously threatening to drag this thread off topic, but while we're recommending authors,
D.
Ok, I'm back from the dead. 2 or 3 stents, depending on whether I believe the pre-surgery assessment or the post-op nurse's description (the doctor never did discuss anything with me).

No, you're not dragging things off topic. In fact I think it's a good idea for Ogre fans to recall other series that have the ability to provide us with more scenarios. For instance perhaps two of us fans remember the same book and design scenarios for it. One of us might have a better idea and better design for one.

Also, identifying other series might give us all access to book series we didn't know exisited and from which, after reading we can contribute more for our favorite Ogre game.

So, go right ahead remembering those books that impress you, and when I stumble across more I will too.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:28 PM   #6
Misplaced Buckeye

Unfortunately this topic has been brought forward many times and has merit. The issue always being that a BOLO being a planetary siege unit would decimate an Ogre of any size which is a continental siege unit; unless you dial it back to say a Mark XV or XX.

The Slammers really never got into AI vehicles as I remember(been a while since I read them). The stories were more about the men with the vehicles being the icing on the cake.

The Old GUY chronicles fall in the same vein but are very enjoyable.

I just picked up the Slammers board game so maybe I can get into it soon.
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:43 PM   #7
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
I couldn't agree more.

When it come to sci-fi, my three favorite authors/series are:
- Hammer's Slammers
- Bolo novels
- Heinlein's works

There are others in the top 10, but these are the premier series. (Note: The Honor Harrington novels are probably fourth on my list)

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:49 PM   #8
43Supporter

On-topic: It *is* possible to blend _OGRE_ and the old Mayfair edition of the _Hammer's Slammers_ boardgame -- sending Slick Des Grieux against a Mk. V can be impressively bloody....

In fact, there's a slew of games which can be combined with _O_, for maximum bloodshed and "in what alternate reality did *this* seem like a Good Idea" responses:

_Hammer's Slammers_, Mayfair ed.
_Starship Troopers_, Avalon Hill ed.
_Battle of Kalnock_/_Battle of Stanrey_ (Japanese games based on the _Sun Fang Dougram_ anime series)
_S.F.3.D_ (another Japanese game)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote