Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 08-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
Eben

Default Re: Can Polymorph Potion be used to prevent your opponent from getting a level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemroid View Post
Does this also mean that if a monster instantly defeated that would give the munchkin level 10 you can wander in a monster that he/she would have to defeat in order to get the level?

If the munchkin can wander in another monster for the needed level and can defeat said monster, then yes, you could still win. You still don't get a level for the polly-ed monster.
Eben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:51 PM   #12
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Can Polymorph Potion be used to prevent your opponent from getting a level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemroid View Post
Does this also mean that if a monster instantly defeated that would give the munchkin level 10 you can wander in a monster that he/she would have to defeat in order to get the level?
I'm not sure what you're asking here, as most auto-defeats (like Pollymorph Potion) give you Treasures, only, as a reward, since you didn't kill the Monster. There are a few auto-kills, but we've already established in most instances, whether it's an auto-kill or only an auto-defeat, that combat is not entirely over unless the card specifically says it is, and that people could wander in a Monster to keep the combat going.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #13
jraggio

I assume that Friendship Potion can be used to do the same thing? If I play this to discard all monsters I assume that no level is gained. It doesn't say that on the card, but my guess is that no level is gained since the monster was not killed. Correct?

Thanks,
John
jraggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #14
Clipper

Yes, you got that right on Friendship Potion. Note that the biggest difference with this card is that it does end the combat, as it says you may Loot the Room, so you can't use Wandering Monster to add monsters to the fight after it has been used.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #15
jraggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
Yes, you got that right on Friendship Potion. Note that the biggest difference with this card is that it does end the combat, as it says you may Loot the Room, so you can't use Wandering Monster to add monsters to the fight after it has been used.
Interesting distinction. Thanks.
jraggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:38 AM   #16
Enzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB2826 View Post
Why does everyone always seem to manage to kill the joke in Pollymorph Potion?
lol :) I hadn't noticed the 2nd L either. Very nice :D
Enzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #17
NIKr0mancer

Does Pollymorf Potion help in auto-kill situations like epic Orc or the monster in Starmunchkin that is defetead automatically by one of classes (sorry, i don't know their english names)? Or does Friendship Potion help?
Sorry for bad English.
NIKr0mancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #18
Clipper

With those examples, no you can't stop them. The Epic Orc feat actually states "Your foes cannot play any cards to stop this" and automatic kills and defeats, such as a Janibot when there is a Gadgeteer present, happen instantly before anybody else can play any cards.

However, in both these examples, the combat hasn't ended yet, so you are still able to play a Wandering Monster into the combat. Once there is a new monster present, you could play Friendship Potion and this would stop them getting Treasures from the monster they instantly defeated as well, although they would still get the levels from that first monster.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #19
MunchkinMan

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking if Pollymorph Potion prevents an auto-kill? If that was your question: No. The epic Orc ability says that it can not be stopped. In a more general sens, once the Monster is dead from an auto-kill event, it's removed from combat and you can't play any cards to affect that Monster.

This has been said over in the other forum many times, but I'll state it here for anyone who hasn't run into it there: Munchkin does not have a stack mechanic for play. If you've played that other game (or similar) before, you'll know what I mean. If you haven't, don't worry about it, I'll just say that cards/events are resolved as they occur (with a few notable exceptions, like Wishing Ring), which means that you can't normally play some other card in order to cancel the effects of a just played card or a just used ability. For the question I answered above, this means that once the auto-kill has occurred, the Monster is removed, and that means a card that would affect or remove the Monster can not be played, unless of course the card says it can.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:45 AM   #20
DragonRider13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB2826 View Post
Why does everyone always seem to manage to kill the joke in Pollymorph Potion?
Because they don't notice it, that's why.
DragonRider13 is offline   Reply With Quote