Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 05-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
marvin

Default Marvel RPG?

So I want to run a supers campaign using GURPS, but I want to use parts of the Marvel universe for background. Is it worth getting the new Marvel RPG if I don't plan on using its rules?

I haven't read comics in over ten years. Will the RPG catch me up? I know there are some really good Marvel to GURPS conversions in the GURPS forum so I'm not worried about that. I just want background and setting info.

Thanks,
Benjamin
marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
Captain-Captain

Default Re: Marvel RPG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin View Post
So I want to run a supers campaign using GURPS, but I want to use parts of the Marvel universe for background. Is it worth getting the new Marvel RPG if I don't plan on using its rules?

I haven't read comics in over ten years. Will the RPG catch me up? I know there are some really good Marvel to GURPS conversions in the GURPS forum so I'm not worried about that. I just want background and setting info.

Thanks,
Benjamin
It won't hurt, but unless your going to run current marvel you won't need the up to the latest material.

The rules for the faserip game are online for downloading. Don't have a link.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:16 AM   #3
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain View Post
It won't hurt, but unless your going to run current marvel you won't need the up to the latest material.

The rules for the faserip game are online for downloading. Don't have a link.
Should be right over here: http://www.classicmarvelforever.com/cms/

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:48 AM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
If you aren't using the rules, you're probably best off going to original sources (comic books) or character guides (both fan sites and official publications). Also, bear in mind that comic book characters are extremely inconsistent in power level and other abilities, so don't sweat the exact details.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:01 AM   #5
ak_aramis

Quote:

Thanks,
Benjamin
It really won't be that much use. The profiles lack the granularity needed to convert to GURPS powers meaningfully, and the background is more detailed on Wikipedia.

You're far better off with the FASERIP marvel stuff, as at least that gives you some stuff that you can look up for maximum ranges and such.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:54 AM   #6
SCAR

There is very little Setting/Background in the new Marvel RPG.
There are a load of character builds for many of the Avengers, Fantastic 4 and X-Men, etc - but as ak_aramis said, the rules system doesn't really give you much to help in converting those characters to GURPS.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:38 AM   #7
Mailanka

The marvel database has lots of information on heroes, and there's a Marvel thread floating around on the GURPS forum. I don't think you need to dig up the RPG.

(I've collected every Marvel RPG made, from Faserip to SAGA (underrated) to Universe (ditto) to the recent "Action" version. They all have their charms, but they all tend to be lower in detail then GURPS will be, and thus personally of no more utility for coming up with stats than the Marvel Database)
Old 05-10-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
SCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
(I've collected every Marvel RPG made, from Faserip to SAGA (underrated) to Universe (ditto) to the recent "Action" version. They all have their charms, but they all tend to be lower in detail then GURPS will be, and thus personally of no more utility for coming up with stats than the Marvel Database)
Do you have this one from MWP which uses Cortex Plus? I only mention it becasue you used the word 'every' and didn't mention it. I can make no comparisons with other editions/versions of Marvel RPG's since I don't own, nor have I read any others. I quite like this one, and I'm not usually much of a 4-color super's fan.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post
Do you have this one from MWP which uses Cortex Plus? I only mention it becasue you used the word 'every' and didn't mention it. I can make no comparisons with other editions/versions of Marvel RPG's since I don't own, nor have I read any others. I quite like this one, and I'm not usually much of a 4-color super's fan.
I do, and it's 6 step granularity (No, d4, d6, d8, d10, d12), lack of ranges, and lack of background material makes for a poor reference for other games.

It's fine and playable. But it's a lousy reference.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post
There are a load of character builds for many of the Avengers, Fantastic 4 and X-Men, etc - but as ak_aramis said, the rules system doesn't really give you much to help in converting those characters to GURPS.
Quoted for truth, and to point out that it's hardly limited to this single case. IME, it's easier and generally better to convert, as an example, Force abilities from the Star Wars films and novels (or the distillations on the relevant wiki) to your choice of system than it is to convert WEG's or WotC's Force mechanics.

Edit: Also, just wanted to add: It's much easier to lose detail than to add it. GURPS is one of the higher detailed games, mechanically speaking. Any conversion of game material to GURPS from a more abstract system tends to require so much added detail that it's usually simpler to recreate rather than convert.

Last edited by RyanW; 05-10-2012 at 02:47 PM.
RyanW is offline   Reply With Quote