Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 01-01-2020, 03:23 PM   #1
hcobb

Default DX dumping

Is anybody else in favor of forcing minimum DX levels on DX replacing talents such as Missile Weapons. (Compare with Acrobatics.)
Old 01-01-2020, 03:31 PM   #2
Shostak

Default Re: DX dumping

Higher ST would make more sense for Missile Weapons. Being strong enough to draw a bow easily should improve accuracy.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:55 PM   #3
Nils_Lindeberg

I don't understand why you should need high DX to get a talent so you can get even higher adjDX. In my house rules, I removed all DX prereqs. The only ones I might keep are those that give an ability that you don't roll for, like better climbing speed for acrobatics.

I find it pretty much intuitive that if you don't have a high DX, you will have to practice more than others in order to be as accurate as they are. And if you really want to be good, you need to practice and be talented, which means both a high DX and the talent.

I would also introduce some sort of minimum adjDX to perform some tasks. In order to disallow the Blob tank. I am fine with someone having multiple negative adjustments to DX and still be able to try to swing for an auto success. But I am not as happy with a negative adjDX that artificially uses auto success as a loophole. And by this, I mean, that if I already have adjDX 5 to hit I might as well aim for the head. :-)
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:19 PM   #4
hcobb

The real fix to adjDX zero fighting is to rule that any result that is 10 or 11 over your adjDX is a drop weapon and anything above that is a break weapon.

Won't stop the wizards, but will stamp down on those muggle archers.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:45 PM   #5
Nils_Lindeberg

True. It should be enough. :-)
Old 01-01-2020, 10:52 PM   #6
Skarg

I don't know that dropping and breaking weapons much more often makes a whole lot of sense, though maybe some other form of stumbling when attacking and missing by 10, such as slipping to kneeling position, or having the weapon not actually dropping or breaking but becoming unready. Or hitting yourself in a random body location for half damage.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:50 PM   #7
Skarg

Here's a deluxe table-icious write-up.

I know many TFT players hate tables, but this shouldn't happen very often.

If you manage to miss a melee weapon attack roll by 10 or more but it's NOT a drop or break weapon result, you managed to bungle in another way.

Roll 1 die. (If you missed by more than 10, add the amount you missed over 10 to the roll. So if you missed by 12, it's 1d+2).
1: You stumble around clumsily. Attackers get a +4 to hit you until next turn, though your adjDX may be so low you might be the last figure to act...
2: You don't drop your weapon but you mess up how you're holding it, so it will take another turn doing a Ready action to ready it.
3: You stumble into a kneeling position.
4: You stumble into a random facing.
5: You stumble (move one hex, like a Disengage) in a random direction, and change to a random facing. If there's a pit in that direction, roll 2/DX not to fall in. If there's something (like a body) to trip on in the hex, or the hex is blocked or occupied, roll 2/DX or fall down (in that hex, if possible).
6: Actually, you do drop your weapon.
7+ Something even worse happens. Roll another die on the table below:

The Worse Table:
1: You trip and fall down. If you're adjacent to a pit or other undesirable place to fall, roll for direction, and if there's something to avoid in the indicated direction, roll 2/DX to not fall in.
2: You hit yourself in a random body location, for 1/2 damage.
3: You send your weapon flying in a random direction 1d hexes away. It has a 1 in 6 chance to hit each standing figure along its flight path for 1/3 damage.
4: You send your weapon flying in a random direction 2d hexes away. It has a 1 in 6 chance to hit each standing figure along its flight path for 1/2 damage.
5: You attack in a random direction - re-roll to hit, even if it's a friend. If there is no figure in the target hex, but there is something to get your weapon stuck in or on, your weapon gets stuck there and it will take a turn of pulling and a 5-die ST roll to get it out during combat. If the hex is empty or your attack doesn't hit or get stuck in anything, you pull a muscle crippling your main weapon arm for 2d hours.
6: You twist your ankle crippling it. You fall and are not able to stand without a crutch for 1d hours.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:25 AM   #8
Nils_Lindeberg

Dropping weapon is basically just lose your next attack.
Break weapon is slightly worse, but most people will have a backup weapon and then it is just a matter of losing an action to draw it.

So I will exchange break weapon with stumble, out of balance or whatever. You have to stand up or get your balance back. Maybe you got the wind knocked out of you and need to breathe, or your helmet dropped down in your eyes or whatever. But it will take you an action to fix it, and your opponents have a +4DX to hit while you do it.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:47 AM   #9
hcobb

The big problem I have isn't somebody swinging a sword at adjDX zero, because there are hopefully some hostiles standing right next to them who will hammer them while they try for that auto success.

It's archers or thrown spells who are doing violence from a distance.

So if you miss a roll by ten or more you fumble and drop your weapon in a random adjacent hex.

Roll 2/DX or the weapon is also broken.
Roll 2/DX or sprain something for a hit damage on yourself. (Ignore armor and magic protections.)
Old 01-02-2020, 11:26 AM   #10
Nils_Lindeberg

Report sergeant!

Well our archer unit emptied their quivers over the west wall. We were lucky and hit a couple of enemies on the wall, most likely some more on the other side of the wall and we took the usual casualties, sir!

Usual casualties?

You know, broken bows, archers falling over, throwing away their bows hitting friends in the head and quite a few nasty sprains, some shooting themselves, the usual. But we brought crutches so they will be able to get back to camp, sir. Ranged combat is dangerous work sir, even when the enemy isn't firing back.

:-D