Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-21-2012, 11:15 PM   #1
inflatus

Default Enthrallment Skill Used on PC's

Should a GM allow a player to use the Enthrallment, Captivate, Persuade, Suggest or Sway Emotion skill on another player to make him do something that he is adamantly against? I can see these skills being used on NPC's but using on player characters might cause some issues. My opinion is that the GM should allow some roleplaying for the persuasion but it should never come to skill checks. The roleplaying should also be stopped if the conversation becomes personal out of game.

I wanted to know if any players or GM's have encountered this situation in their sessions and if so, what came about?

the cheeseshop
inflatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Enthrallment Skill Used on PC's

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatus View Post
Should a GM allow a player to use the Enthrallment, Captivate, Persuade, Suggest or Sway Emotion skill on another player to make him do something that he is adamantly against? I can see these skills being used on NPC's but using on player characters might cause some issues. My opinion is that the GM should allow some roleplaying for the persuasion but it should never come to skill checks. The roleplaying should also be stopped if the conversation becomes personal out of game.

I wanted to know if any players or GM's have encountered this situation in their sessions and if so, what came about?
I had a Courtesan use Sway Emotion (using Sex Appeal) on a PC once, I ended up using the rules for using Influence skills on PCs. Seemed to work fine to me.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:30 PM   #3
inflatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I had a Courtesan use Sway Emotion (using Sex Appeal) on a PC once, I ended up using the rules for using Influence skills on PCs. Seemed to work fine to me.
What if you were trying to persuade the PC to seriously harm a family member or change their religious beliefs? Do you think that another player could roll a skill check to change a PC's diehard religious beliefs? I was thinking that every character has an imaginary line that they will not cross. How does a skill check figure into this instance?

the cheeseshop
inflatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:34 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
What if you were trying to persuade the PC to seriously harm a family member or change their religious beliefs? Do you think that another player could roll a skill check to change a PC's diehard religious beliefs? I was thinking that every character has an imaginary line that they will not cross. How does a skill check figure into this instance?
Usually with bonuses to Will rolls. I could have sworn there was a section in Social Engineering but I can't seem to find it.

I suppose it would come down to what sort of disadvantages the PC in question has. Maybe a +1 bonus per -5 in disads could work. Do keep in mind that just because they think they will never cross that line doesn't mean they won't. Just my 2 cents of course, YMMV.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:42 PM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:
Should a GM allow a player to use the Enthrallment, Captivate, Persuade, Suggest or Sway Emotion skill on another player to make him do something that he is adamantly against?
Yes. Those are actual mind control abilities. They cost fatigue. Being in the grip of Captivate or Suggest is no different from being hit with a spell from the Mind Control College.

edit. Oh, sorry. I didn't understand the question. It's not fundamentally different from having players steal from each other. If you'd allow one, allow the other.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 09-22-2012 at 12:08 AM.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:52 PM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Should a GM allow a player to use the Enthrallment, Captivate, Persuade, Suggest or Sway Emotion skill on another player to make him do something that he is adamantly against?
That's a game style issue, not a rules issue. Those abilities do work on PCs, but like any sort of PvP, can cause problems between the players.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:52 PM   #7
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

See the box on B359 Influencing the PCs which talks about using influance rolls against PCs.

Other than that treat stronger mind control as you would physical violence in intra-party conflict in accordance with your group's social contract.

In most of my groups cases I remind them they agreed to play characters that wouldn't willingly devolve into such fights as I have not intrest in GMing such games
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:01 AM   #8
gjc8

Quote:
Should a GM allow a player to use the Enthrallment, Captivate, Persuade, Suggest or Sway Emotion skill on another player to make him do something that he is adamantly against? I can see these skills being used on NPC's but using on player characters might cause some issues.
The effect of Persuade is to provide a +3 (+4 on a critical success) to reaction rolls. That's not enough to make an NPC do something they're adamantly against. No problems there. Likewise with Sway Emotions. People don't do things that they're adamantly against just because they're angry. Players should roleplay the emotion properly, but it doesn't control their actions like that.

The only issue is Suggest and Captivate. And there I'd say they're pretty much mind control abilities, as David Johnston2 says. Note that you get a resistance roll against the Entrallment in the first place, and both explicitly have rules for what to do if they're forced to do something they're adamantly against (for Suggest, a bonus to the resistance roll; for Captivate, a new Will roll which is at a penalty but is not opposed). Note also that if the PCs have reason to believe that the storyteller has hostile intent, I don't see anything that prevents them from leaving or even attacking during the 20 or 30 minutes it takes for Enthrallment to have an effect.
gjc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:03 AM   #9
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
For the sake of realism, that should be as difficult to make a PC do as it is to make an NPC do. After all, PCs aren't surrounded by invisible "magic resistance" fields just by virtue of being PCs. They live in the world in which the game takes place, and are therefore subject to all the metaphysics of that world to the exact same degree as those characters who are played by the GM.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #10
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Usually with bonuses to Will rolls. I could have sworn there was a section in Social Engineering but I can't seem to find it.
Influencing PCs, p. 32, may be what you're looking for.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps 4th edition, roleplaying, rules interpretation, skill