Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > The Gnomes of Zurich > The Industry

Old 01-28-2011, 07:56 PM   #31
Ed the Coastie

Default Re: B.A.D.D. is coming back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain View Post
BADD representatives? IIRC one of the points made around the time Pat Pulling died was that she was it's sole member.
I remember hearing/reading that somewhere. But there were other groups of "concerned parents" circulating anti-D&D literature at the time; over the years, I have developed the (ahem) "BADD habit" of lumping them all together.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:42 AM   #32
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
And the guy who draws all those Chick tracts... Can't forget him.

That would be Jack Chick himself IIRC. He may be a warped puppy, but Chick would have made a decent career as an illustrator if not for his religious fervor.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:08 AM   #33
Xplo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
In high school I ran into a few problems, a player got my original 3e Basic Set confiscated once, and it got back to me with every single weapon word highlighted (your tax dollars at work!), the Christian club wrote 2-3 letters to the campus paper decrying the Gaming Club as Satanic, and I once (as President of the gaming club) brought before the Superintendent of Schools because he thought we were a gang or something.
I always think it's so weird to hear these stories, considering that (a) I was unaware that most of this was going on, and (b) seriously, wtf.
Xplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:20 AM   #34
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain View Post
That would be Jack Chick himself IIRC. He may be a warped puppy, but Chick would have made a decent career as an illustrator if not for his religious fervor.
Try hate, paranoia and delusions, rather than religious fervor. He merely masquerades his mental illness as religious ferver.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #35
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplo View Post
I always think it's so weird to hear these stories, considering that (a) I was unaware that most of this was going on, and (b) seriously, wtf.
I know I showed you the letters in the paper, I mentioned it to everybody in the club at the time.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #36
Mailanka

Hey, Mormon paranoia pushed me into the arms of GURPS.

See, my mother, devout Mormon that she was, had heard that D&D was evil, therefore, I wasn't allowed to play it. However, she agreed with me that the church had explicitly stated that D&D was evil, not role-playing. Therefore, I was allowed to spend my days playing Traveller, FASERIP Marvel, WoD (yes, World of Darkness) and GURPS.

(And really, she did the sensible, parenting thing: She sat in on a few sessions, played along a bit, and saw that this hobby certainly wasn't harmful or creepy, and so gave me her blessing)
Old 01-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #37
darksaba

Now I was watching a detective show tonight, and the plot point was "guy unable to separate reality and fantasy goes for a swim with lead weights attached to his feet because he believes himself to be immortal from playing too many RPGs". The story was badly researched, and IMHO badly executed and normally I'd have just written it off as another attack against our hobby by lazy Hollywood writers, but as theres this thread going on I'd though I'd ask: Has anyone ever been seriously hurt/killed from role-playing getting out of hand? Does anyone know of any real cases? Is there a shred of evidence that these things ever happen?
Old 01-29-2011, 02:39 PM   #38
Eben

The only injuries I know about are either traced back to urban myth or are just stupidity in action incidents. You know, lets wave the real sword at the police officer who doesn't know you are in a LARP kind of thing.
Eben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #39
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaba View Post
Now I was watching a detective show tonight, and the plot point was "guy unable to separate reality and fantasy goes for a swim with lead weights attached to his feet because he believes himself to be immortal from playing too many RPGs". The story was badly researched, and IMHO badly executed and normally I'd have just written it off as another attack against our hobby by lazy Hollywood writers, but as theres this thread going on I'd though I'd ask: Has anyone ever been seriously hurt/killed from role-playing getting out of hand? Does anyone know of any real cases? Is there a shred of evidence that these things ever happen?
Um, that is almost Guarrenteed to be the NCIS episode, and I have to dissagree with you. An not point did they Blame the MMORPG, and the reason why he did it was a Shipmate took advantage of his unstable and talked him into do it, to cover up something else.

Furthmore on of the Main Character of the series is an Well established MMORPG player, who not only holds down a job as an NCiS specail agent, but is also a sucessful writer, and is well regarded by his Director.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:45 PM   #40
Eben

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Um, that is almost Guarrenteed to be the NCIS episode, and I have to dissagree with you. An not point did they Blame the MMORPG, and the reason why he did it was a Shipmate took advantage of his unstable and talked him into do it, to cover up something else.
That was NCIS. It did seem to me that the sailor was shown as crazy on his own and he just latched onto the game as a reality filter. Kind of like the people who become obsessed over their D&D character.
Eben is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roleplaying