Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-07-2017, 11:32 AM   #1
Apollonian

Default Good Powers for Satanist Pirates/Spies?

I'm filling out some details on the Chevaliers de la Crane for my Victorian Cabal game, and I'd like to tap the hive mind for some ideas for cool powers - especially on the imagery & fluff side - to give individual Chevaliers. Key guidelines:
  • The power is granted by a powerful demon (Baphomet) that communicates with the Chevaliers through the Crystal Skull
  • Baphomet is pleased by murder and souls, and that's what he encourages and rewards by granting powers
  • The power should be fairly simple tricks - not full-fledged spell-slinging magic. More Assassin's Creed or Dishonored style.
  • Covert is nice, but not necessary

Anyway. Any ideas?
Apollonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:28 PM   #2
Gedrin

Default Re: Good Powers for Satanist Pirates/Spies?

Given your Baphomet, I'd look at the cultist in question and give something along the lines of Detect:People That Deserve It. Frex: a character with a background/flaw that predisposes them to hate prostitution would be granted the power to see johns and hookers...always on.

Give them something cool, like the ability to blur their form. Power varies from making them hard to ID, to bonuses to stealth, to penalties to hit them in combat. Fuel power with points.

Points can only be filled by appropriate sacrifice. A chicken grant one point, but not if you already have two. A hooker 10/15. Infant... The idea is that you can do the little stuff on a chicken, but if you want -5 to hit in combat, human sacrifice is required.
Gedrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:45 PM   #3
Angle

Well, for subtle you best bet is probably relatively normal advantages recast as supernatural abilities, maybe with some luck or serendipity thrown in.
Angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:29 PM   #4
mhd

There's nothing wrong stealing from Tim Powers, so I'd make magic independent from any inborn gifts: Anyone can practise it, and a lot of people do. Most don't go beyond minor tricks, but those you'll encounter pretty often.

Minor mind control and reality influence, i.e. the aforementioned Luck/Serendipity advantages plus some social ones. Maybe combining impulse points with threshold based magic, leading into some kind of "angelic limit break" if people are overdoing it.

And lots of minor minionry, where physical manifestations, be they ever so small are actually already on the advanced scale, with big monsters being exceedingly rare.

That should make pirate havens quite chaotic.
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:30 PM   #5
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
I'm filling out some details on the Chevaliers de la Crane for my Victorian Cabal game, and I'd like to tap the hive mind for some ideas for cool powers - especially on the imagery & fluff side - to give individual Chevaliers. Key guidelines:
  • The power is granted by a powerful demon (Baphomet) that communicates with the Chevaliers through the Crystal Skull
  • Baphomet is pleased by murder and souls, and that's what he encourages and rewards by granting powers
  • The power should be fairly simple tricks - not full-fledged spell-slinging magic. More Assassin's Creed or Dishonored style.
  • Covert is nice, but not necessary

Anyway. Any ideas?
A small thing, but if you mean "Knight of the (cristal) Skull", it would be "Chevaliers du Crâne" in French, the word "crâne" is masculine.

-Perhaps a "Ghost Rider" like aspect; but with blue flame and a crystal skull ?

-Some awe/terror

-Temperature Tolerance
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:13 AM   #6
Varyon

Murder and souls implies a method of assassination in which the worshipper harvests the target's soul.

Something I'm considering for one of my own settings was to have characters able to become essentially servants of death, wherein they gain a variety of powers (by killing more and more) that might be appropriate here. In this case, they might be fueled by harvested souls or something similar. They gain ETS, Detect (Sapient Life), Penetrating Vision, and a short-ranged Warp upon making a kill undetected, although this is only available for about a second. Essentially, they can use the large amount of energy released upon death by an unsuspecting target to basically "pause" the world, check out where all nearby targets/threats are - seeing through walls - and then Warp either somewhere safe or to set up their next kill.

If they personally kill an animal, they can then tan the leather and it will obey them to a limited extent. Leather armor is more resilient than a comparable weight of steel, and a favored trick of such characters is to have several long strands of leather attached to their hand (typically hidden up the sleeve) that can reach out and twist together into a rope. The threads at the end can function like fingers to grip - this is essentially used like a grapnel, and can also grab foes and pull the foe and character together. For some users, the leather armor functions like power armor, augmenting the character's strength.

Characters can also sense lingering "death energy" on people and weapons. This only lasts for a short while on people, but can be used to identify killers or witnesses to killings. It lasts a good deal longer on weapons, but only applies to those that were actually used for killing. The character can even get a sense, through careful observation, of when the weapon was last used to kill, how many people it has killed, and how often it has been used to kill. Probably not as useful for your pirate/spies, however (in the setting there are spells that can approximate this, and such characters often use the ability to figure out which of their weapons are likely to show up on such scans, discarding those to avoid being caught).

The characters also have an improved ability to blend into shadows and improved senses, including night vision - think Garrett from the Thief series of games. Their connection to death also extends their lifespans, which may also be appropriate for demon-worshippers. A lot will depend on how you envision Baphomet.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:20 AM   #7
Anders

Obscure, Silence and Single-Minded seem natural fits for a focused assassin.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:42 AM   #8
Humabout

Kill for Me
17 points

With a simple touch, you turn a person into a ticking time bomb of murderous rage. You must touch your target's skin, clothing doesn't count! If your target fails an unmodified Will roll, he will, in one day, attempt to kill anyone he meets for 5 hours x his margin of failure. He won't show hesitation, mercy, or remorse - even if the person is his own wife or child - until the duration has elapsed, and there will be no sign of your influence on him. He simply becomes the perfect servant of Baphomet.

Statistics: Affliction 1 (Based on Will, +20%; Contact Agent, -30%; Delay, 1 day, +0%; Disadvantage, Compulsive Killing, No Control roll, -37%; Extended Duration, x300, +120%; Melee Attack, C, -30%; No Signature, +20%) [17 points).

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote