Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-31-2016, 09:34 AM   #11
starslayer

Default Re: Help needed: Magic system for an occult horror game

I haver given this some thought and come up with an idea.

Use effect shaping rpm, it requires petitioning and dealing with outsider entities. (Ie source of power)

All botches result in direct assault on the caster, focusing on as long lasting, and annoying effect as possible or for very big spells full on manifestation of the outsider (ie instant death under most circumstances)

Magery does not provide bonus to skill, and total energy used does not impact skill.

A fright check is required after every casting before the effect will manifest under the casters control. Penalty equal to 1/10 the energy (as per effect shaping normal penalty), magery is a boost to this fright check. Anything that would normally result in a bonus to skill is a bonus to the fright check. Anything that would be a penalty, a penalty. Apply an additional greater effect modifier for anything 'blatant'. Failure on the fright check is the same as botching the spell as well as regular fright check failure results)

This will result in either very cautious wizards, doing everything in the best conditions possible with great resistance to ftry anything big, or quirked broken 'things' with assorted mental disadvantages from failed fright checks coupled with being dogged by the effects of the outsiders they have offended. Charms and hanging rituals will represent most used magic.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:52 AM   #12
Refplace

Default Re: Help needed: Magic system for an occult horror game

I kinda like a fright Check as a limiter for some magic. Nice idea.
Especially good for various summoning magic, spirits, demons, et.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ritual path magic, thaumatology