Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-08-2015, 12:32 AM   #1
lachimba

Default TV series with ideas for GURPS

Edit (original or amazing ideas obviously preffered)

1st off the bat.

Sense8 i'm not the biggest fan, but the being able to perceive send your senses, take over the actions of another, communicate with each other, and/or lend them your skills feels like it's almost made for an RPG where the party splits up.

Be great to use in a game where none of the PCs ever meet in person or just any appropriate game.

I'd design the ability package based on GURPS abilities them just add power modifiers to fit the campaign

Last edited by lachimba; 12-14-2015 at 08:35 PM.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:12 AM   #2
Mailanka

Default Re: TV series with ideas for GURPS

Sliders is essentially Infinite Worlds

The Man in the High Castle certainly inspired my girlfriend to explore GURPS Infinite Worlds (and Chrononauts)
Old 12-08-2015, 04:35 AM   #3
Gold & Appel Inc

Building the protagonists of Sense8 is more than doable with GURPS, on a high budget. Other systems, probably not-so-much. I liked the first season and have kicked around ideas for a write-up myself. It's basically a supers setting, where they all get global Mindlink, sensory Telesend, and a high budget for multiple Modular Skills limited to what anybody else in the gestalt who is Concentrating on the individual using the skill can do. Establishing new Mindlinks with any psi they make eye contact with is probably more Feature than Advantage, given how it is exploited by the show's villain.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:51 AM   #4
mhd

The new "Into the Badlands" TV series seems like a pretty fun Martial Arts campaign. It's no Six String Samurai, but it does have a postapocalyptic antebellum filled with kung fu and deadly stiletto heels.
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:17 AM   #5
Anders

I would love to play in the Ash vs. Evil Dead world. Groovy!

Xena Warrior Princess may also be a viable alternative. Although with more sensible armor.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:44 AM   #6
Gigermann

Terra Nova. It's a terrible show, really, but it's RPG gold—dinosaurs and ultra-tech. I'm still working on that campaign for my group; I expect to run it next year sometime.
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:57 AM   #7
Not

M*A*S*H, TV or movie.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:51 AM   #8
Nymdok

When discussing GURPSable TV shows the limiting factors are normally small cast, overly iconic characters, and uneven character balance.

Other key points to look for are large casts, welll built worlds, and a fairly high level of internal consistency especially where abilities are concerned.

I know Buffy/Angel, Xena/Hercules and Doctor Who gets a lot of love from the fans, but Id never game in those worlds, because they have centerpiece characters and everyone else is kind of along for the ride. Good for TV. Not so great if your a character in the supporting cast. This eliminates ALOT of the Superhero TV shows we see these days (DD, JJ, Flash, Arrow, but not necessarily GOTHAM or Agents of Shield)

Star Wars is a big wide open world, but for my taste its a mess and I would have to apply so many external restricitions that it would quickly diverge from what star wars is to many people which is largely just a 'Plot calls all shots' imagination playland.

Farscape was an amazing show, but its SO character driven (as opposed to world driven) that once you try to insert your own characters it quickly looses alot of its charm. Add to that there's alot going on in the world, but little if any of it ever gets explained and again, you have to bring so much to the table that it rapidly changes the setting and is bound to disappoint.

Vikings for example is a great show, but its also so character driven that if those characters are removed (or even changed just a bit) then it completely hollows out the world and you dont really have a lot left.

Most Cop, Doctor, and Lawyer shows, Id probably dismiss out of hand as being too repetitive and mundane but the REAL problem again is the overly iconic characters.

Nymdok

p.s. You didnt really think I was going to post without saying Exo Squad, Visionaries, Mission Impossible/The Man From UNCLE, Warehouse13, Alien Nation, Firefly, did you?
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:57 AM   #9
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post

Sense8 [...] Be great to use I'm a game where none of the PCs ever meet in person or just any appropriate game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post

Building the protagonists of Sense8 is more than doable with GURPS, on a high budget.
I like the show's premise. It would be ideal for online games where only some of the players show up sometimes, and where the GM is often communicating with the players separately. When a player isn't there . . . bam, the GM just loans out the skills of the unplayed character, who effectively "possesses" the played one for a scene. Since this is always voluntary, always benefits the possessee, and has no effect on the physical wellbeing of the possessor, it shouldn't offend any player. When both players are present, of course, "visiting" becomes possible, and they can have weird interactions that earn reaction penalties from random people who see them talking to and kissing air.

The somewhat mature themes that recur throughout the show aren't really essential to the premise. If your gaming group isn't comfortable with them, just leave them out. Personally, I found the sexy stuff fine but the violence extremely nasty in places. This being JMS and the Wachowskis, "graphic" is a thing no matter what kind of scene is going on; beyond the sex and violence, they really rub your face in alienation, drug use, poverty, prejudice, etc., too. Of course, my experience is that visually graphic media are the best media for engaging players in a game based on fiction – nine out of 10 players whose PCs were inspired by fiction in my campaigns were inspired by an intense film or television show.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:18 AM   #10
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymdok View Post
Not so great if your a character in the supporting cast. This eliminates ALOT of the Superhero TV shows we see these days (DD, JJ, Flash, Arrow, but not necessarily GOTHAM or Agents of Shield)
But a Defenders-style team up of Daredevil (with Stick, perhaps), Jessica Jones and Luke Cage against their villain line-up would be quite GURPS-able- I'd put their point values in the same ballpark.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps, jessica jones, mad max, rule of cool, sense8, tv series