Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Card Games

Old 10-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
RandomPlayer

Default Illuminati: Megabucks

I recently purchased the game at a local Expo, and a group of my friends including myself are loving it.

Took us a few games to figure out the mechanics of the game, but we believe we got most of it down.

The Megabucks in the game seem to be a little tedious at times. Giving out the income and what not. My question is: are there other methods of using the Megabucks system? I was thinking of taking the Credit Card System on one of the newer Monopoly Board Games and using that.

Time is an issue and I would like to eliminate the wait on giving out the income and anything during an action. Any ideas are welcome and would like to hear what other players do to speed up the game.
RandomPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
PK

Default Re: Illuminati: Megabucks

The Monopoly credit card thingee only tracks total money. Knowing how many megabucks are on each group is crucial in Illuminati. So you'd need, at the very least, a custom program that can keep track of what groups you have.

But you don't have to have delays! My games never do. Just have whoever's turn is coming up get the money ready ahead of time. He should take it all out of the bag/box/bank and make little stacks next to each group. Then, when his turn starts, he moves the stacks onto the groups, which only takes a few seconds.

It sounds like the problem here is that each player is waiting until his turn starts to even touch the bank, and that's just inefficient.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:31 AM   #3
theSlack

That money tedium is the one part I hate about the boxed version of illuminati. I enjoy the short lived ccg deck-building version from the mid-nineties, much quicker, and built decks tend to have a cohesive theme. Power structure in the ccg looks like a plan... Power structure in boxed version...luck of the draw, best of what's available mess.

The ccg was much more tidy, and faster to play.

Last edited by theSlack; 10-23-2013 at 01:08 PM. Reason: clarification of usage of hate.
theSlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
grimblefig

Of course, using something like the Monopoly credit card thing would be a HUGE advantage for the Gnomes.
grimblefig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
RandomPlayer

Thanks for all your feedback guys, I'll just be a little bit more prepared on giving out the Megabucks. I'll just have myself write down all the income from each card from each player on a piece of paper and have it ready before their turn.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomPlayer View Post
I'll just have myself write down all the income from each card from each player on a piece of paper and have it ready before their turn.
Why can't they do it themselves?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
RandomPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Why can't they do it themselves?
I would assume they won't cheat, but I won't take that risk.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomPlayer View Post
I would assume they won't cheat, but I won't take that risk.
Ah, I don't ever play with the "cheating" optional rule (and really think it's a terrible idea). Other than bluffing in betting and/or bidding games I don't tolerate cheating in games that I play. If someone clearly and deliberately cheats once, that's the last time they'll ever play any game with me.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #9
Bo Smith

We played two games about a week ago. I was the only one that had ever played before. After the first turn folks had setting their income for each card at its side down pat; and it never really slowed play down. The only problems we had were keeping enough "small bills" in the till. With four people we ran low on ones, twos, and fives in a hurry; but we worked around that, too, when we realized that we just had to "make change" as needed to keep the cash flowing (a few "bidding wars" got that money back in the kitty rather quickly).

Oh, we were all honest in our "change-making". No need to closely supervise anyone.

Tags
illuminati card game, megabucks, time