Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-05-2017, 04:21 PM   #1
Railstar

Default Turnover/revolving black powder guns

I may have a new favourite gadget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoNUgQZ-wf8

It’s a matchlock pistol with a hand-spun revolving horizontal drum. These and pepper-box-like turnover pistols seem like a down-to-earth form of repeating handgun to introduce into a TL4 setting – not quite the kind of upgrade that would massively change warfare, but provides a way for people to make more than one shot.

What’s the catch?

Obviously single-shot firearms did not vanish overnight. These gadgets seem to be quite unusual. Therefore, what kind of problems am I missing for this kind of firearm? Why were they not more popular? I am thinking these would be minor modifications to standard firearms, but what modifiers would be appropriate?

First, Bulk is an obvious one. I think the Bulk should be at least 1 point worse, maybe 2.

Would Accuracy suffer because of the extra weight? I can see familiarity penalties applying to someone not used to the heavier guns. Maybe make familiarity with these a Perk?

Possibly slightly smaller barrels/chambers to fit them on the weapon, maybe reducing the wounding modifier from Pi+ to Pi?

With the rotating drum, the break between the drum and the barrel might leak out some of the blast. Should that lower damage at all?

Malfunction rating? More chance of a misfire or hang fire if the spark and the barrel are not perfectly aligned.

Obviously rotating the barrels or drum would be at least a Ready action. Faster than reloading a muzzleloading black powder weapon normally, but it still leaves gaps between shots.

So far I'm thinking Bulk & Malfunction both 1 point worse, Ready actions between shots, and maybe the type of piercing becomes one step smaller.

What else have I missed? Why wouldn’t these come to dominate over single-shot firearms?

I know cost is a factor, but I figure that once gunsmiths become familiar with the designs they wouldn't be that much more expensive to make. I want to avoid the circular situation of them being rare because of being expensive and being expensive because they are rare.

Thanks in advance.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote