Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-12-2017, 10:00 AM   #1
DeathDaisy

Default [RPM] Access to your created Pocket Dimension

The Create Pocket Dimension ritual (RPM p.40) seems fun and useful and I have been longing to use it, but something has stopped me; I don't understand how you access it later.

I have scrutinized the ritual description and searched the forums for ages, but I can't seem find the answer. Do I have to cast another Greater Create Crossroads everytime I go there? Can I open a gate to there at will? Could I bring a collapsible portal with me maybe, and just use Lesser Control Crossroads to open and close it?

I might be missing something obvious, but these forums are often helpful anyway ^^
DeathDaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:02 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [RPM] Access to your created Pocket Dimension

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathDaisy View Post
The Create Pocket Dimension ritual (RPM p.40) seems fun and useful and I have been longing to use it, but something has stopped me; I don't understand how you access it later.

I have scrutinized the ritual description and searched the forums for ages, but I can't seem find the answer. Do I have to cast another Greater Create Crossroads everytime I go there? Can I open a gate to there at will? Could I bring a collapsible portal with me maybe, and just use Lesser Control Crossroads to open and close it?

I might be missing something obvious, but these forums are often helpful anyway ^^
You could set up a gate to that dimension with a Greater Create Crossroads effect to exit and come back. You could anchor it to a key or something so that you could take it with you. If you anchor it to a stationary object I'd call it a Lesser effect, but that may require playtesting.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:57 PM   #3
DeathDaisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
You could set up a gate to that dimension with a Greater Create Crossroads effect to exit and come back. You could anchor it to a key or something so that you could take it with you. If you anchor it to a stationary object I'd call it a Lesser effect, but that may require playtesting.
Hm, let me see if I got this straight. Could I state during the original casting that a gate to the dimension is anchored to a key, and then use Lesser Control Crossroads to open and close it? Could it be a separate ritual? Or could I perhaps make a ritual for a key that opens and closes a gate to the pocket dimension without further rituals?

For example:
The Key
Spell Effects: Greater Create Crossroads + Lesser Control Crossroads.
Inherent Modifiers: Range.
Greater Effects: 1 (×3).

Cast on a key, the key can then be used to open and close a gate of appropriate size (often door-sized) by inserting the key into a imagined or real keyhole and turning it.

This Casting: Greater Create Crossroads (6) + Lesser Control Crossroads (5) + Duration, 1 month (11) + Range, Cross-dimension (10). 96 energy (32×3).

Could something like that work, and be renewed together with the dimension? Or can that even be stated during the original casting, maybe with an extra Control Crossroads?
Old 06-12-2017, 05:35 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Hm, let me see if I got this straight. Could I state during the original casting that a gate to the dimension is anchored to a key, and then use Lesser Control Crossroads to open and close it? Could it be a separate ritual? Or could I perhaps make a ritual for a key that opens and closes a gate to the pocket dimension without further rituals?
Yes, you could. in pretty much all cases.

Quote:
The Key
Spell Effects: Greater Create Crossroads + Lesser Control Crossroads.
Inherent Modifiers: Range.
Greater Effects: 1 (×3).

Cast on a key, the key can then be used to open and close a gate of appropriate size (often door-sized) by inserting the key into a imagined or real keyhole and turning it.

This Casting: Greater Create Crossroads (6) + Lesser Control Crossroads (5) + Duration, 1 month (11) + Range, Cross-dimension (10). 96 energy (32×3).

Could something like that work, and be renewed together with the dimension? Or can that even be stated during the original casting, maybe with an extra Control Crossroads?
That seems fine.

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:30 AM   #5
DeathDaisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Yes, you could. in pretty much all cases.

That seems fine.
Perfect, thanks a bunch for the help
Old 06-13-2017, 05:45 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Perfect, thanks a bunch for the help
Sure. No problem.