Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 07-27-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
LokRobster

Default LF good 'travelling' car for professional duelist

You're a wildly successful autoduelist, funds are not an issue, you duel because of the rush and excitement of it - you need a vehicle to travel from city to city to participate in events. This isn't a car you take into the arena, but drive from Houston to Dallas to KC-1 to Muskogee; in style, comfort and security [well, as secure as AutoDuel America allows].

Anyone have a design to share, or a quick source of a stock car that's good? What would you drive for tooling around the wastelands between the cities?
Old 07-27-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
Magesmiley

Default Re: LF good 'travelling' car for professional duelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokRobster View Post
You're a wildly successful autoduelist, funds are not an issue, you duel because of the rush and excitement of it - you need a vehicle to travel from city to city to participate in events. This isn't a car you take into the arena, but drive from Houston to Dallas to KC-1 to Muskogee; in style, comfort and security [well, as secure as AutoDuel America allows].

Anyone have a design to share, or a quick source of a stock car that's good? What would you drive for tooling around the wastelands between the cities?
Assuming that you're going it alone and talking about a car (as opposed to a bus or 10-wheeler), I'd be leaning heavily towards a luxury or camper with a universal turret, defintiely an electric motor (probably a sport PP),
universal turrets with some sort of weapon with a lot of ammo (at least 20-30 shots bare minimum, 40 being an even beter number) that has a burst effect (burst effects being particularly nasty to cycles), Improved Fire Extinguisher, LRFP armor, At least solid tires (plasticores under serious consideration), dropped weapon (I'd lean towards an FOJ due to the large number of shots), tool kit, spare tire. Depending on the distance between powerups you might consider extra fuel cells even.

Last edited by Magesmiley; 07-27-2012 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Typo
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
thudthwacker

If this is the car for driving between events, how is the actual duelling car getting to those events? That is: does this car need to be able to transport the other?
thudthwacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
Hemlock

A good traveling 'car' for the CW world ... usually involves rotors and air travel ... go by helicopter or even small plane.

The ground is dangerous.
Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
LokRobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thudthwacker View Post
If this is the car for driving between events, how is the actual duelling car getting to those events? That is: does this car need to be able to transport the other?
In this case the sponsor is transporting/providing the arena car. I figure the driver is taking a vehicle that uses Driving skill, rather than a 10-wheeler or semi rig.

The duelist in question is known for being a crazy risk-taker, chosing to drive the highways between events...
Old 07-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
LokRobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
Assuming that you're going it alone and talking about a car (as opposed to a bus or 10-wheeler), I'd be leaning heavily towards a luxury or camper with a universal turret, defintiely an electric motor (probably a sport PP),
universal turrets with some sort of weapon with a lot of ammo (at least 20-30 shots bare minimum, 40 being an even beter number) that has a burst effect (burst effects being particularly nasty to cycles), Improved Fire Extinguisher, LRFP armor, At least solid tires (plasticores under serious consideration), dropped weapon (I'd lean towards an FOJ due to the large number of shots), tool kit, spare tire. Depending on the distance between powerups you might consider extra fuel cells even.
Great summary. Part of the deterrent to random duels will be the "more trouble than it's worth" factor. I do think I'll go for extra fuel cells for the long distance stretches.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
grimblefig

I would guess that any areas that are trying to rebuild infrastructure (or maintain what they have) would frown on dropped weapons. The explosive kind tend to damage the road, and everything else stays around to be a hazard for other drivers.

Of course. it might be good PR for the duellist if he stopped to clean up after himself once he wins the road duel.
grimblefig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #8
LokRobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimblefig View Post
I would guess that any areas that are trying to rebuild infrastructure (or maintain what they have) would frown on dropped weapons. The explosive kind tend to damage the road, and everything else stays around to be a hazard for other drivers.

Of course. it might be good PR for the duellist if he stopped to clean up after himself once he wins the road duel.
heh, k need to pack a few rolls of paper towels. Oooor, perhaps FOJs burn completely away, leaving only the fresh scent of pine? [and a blackened spot on the asphalt]
Old 07-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
J. Roberts

Smokescreens or flaming cloud ejectors would be good for deterring attacks from the rear, especially if you had good acceleration and top speed for avoiding trouble. Doesn't mess up the road, so no worries from the locals.

Heavy front and back armor, lighter on the sides, since that's where most of your attacks are going to come from. A ramplate would be nice for going through roadblocks. Don't skimp on the top armor; it's not a Car Wars road trip without bandits sniping from the hills or kids rolling rocks on top of you.

Might want to stick to the simpler weapons and leave the laser-guided rockets at home. If you're in the sticks, it'll be easier to find a mechanic who can fix your recoilless rifle than a highly trained technician to tune your pulse laser.
J. Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
ak_aramis

Hive and Queen, with a Aussie road-train style heavily armored box between the hive and queen. with living quarters and a garage.

Uses Road Train rules on p.43 of AADA RASG4:Australia

Worker - 40' Van trailer for use with Hive and Queen.
$75,950 50,350#
______$ ______#_ Sp _ Notes
__ 6000 _ 3000 _ 80 _ 40' van
___ 100 _____ 0 __ 0 _ Standard Kingpin
_ 25000 __ 4000 _ 16 _ Super Oversize PP, +53333 Max Load
_ 18000 __ 1800 __ 0 _ 12xSolid Oversize Tires *
_____ 0 ___ 600 _ 12 _ 4x Sleeper spaces **
_____ 0 ___ 450 __ 6 _ 3x "Passengers" ***
___ 250 ____ 50 __ 2 _ ABF
__ 1000 ___ 800 __ 4 _ Portable Shop ****
___ 300 ___ 150 __ 0 _ Tongue and Hitch assembly *****
___ 300 ___ 200 __ 0 _ Wheel ramps
_____ 0 __ 7800 _ 40 _ Space for max load van
_ 25000 _ 31500 __ 0 _ Armor all: 35 Metal (10 loc)

* 4 of the 12 tires actually go on the tongue and hitch assembly on the Hive
** figure 2 extra crew for the team. One berth is the boss's; the other 3 rotate amongst the 2 extras and the crew of the Hive and Queen.
*** Mechanic, driver, fling of the week
**** I figure that a few thousand more, and maybe 300# more, to treat it as a full shop for anything smaller than a van.
***** Actually on the modified tongue and hitch assembly on the Hive.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote