Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-13-2010, 12:14 AM   #1
MatthewVilter

Default Crouching

I'm having a hard time understanding the crouch rules as presented in the Combat chapter of the Basic Set.

On page 364 it says that it is a free action to crouch or stand from a crouch at the start of your turn. The errata tells me that you can actually stand from a crouch at any time as a free action which is in line with page 368. Page 368 also says that you can crouch after you take your other actions if you move no more than a step.

Does this mean that if I start my turn crouched behind a low wall I can stand as a free action, shoot my gun as part of a attack maneuver, and (because I did not move) crouch as a free action? Could I in fact step as well just for the heck of it? OTOH if I start my turn a few yards away from this low wall can I not get behind it because if I move more than a step I lose the opportunity to crouch that turn!?

I suppose I could crouch at the start of my turn and move behind the wall from there but that brings me to my second question. How fast can you move when crouching? Page 367 outlines speed for all the other postures but is silent in the case of crouching. In fact I can't seem to find any place where all the effects of the different postures are summarized.

I seem to be having a lot of trouble with a pretty basic concept so any help will be appreciated!
MatthewVilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:46 AM   #2
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Default Re: Crouching

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewVilter View Post
Does this mean that if I start my turn crouched behind a low wall I can stand as a free action, shoot my gun as part of a attack maneuver, and (because I did not move) crouch as a free action? Could I in fact step as well just for the heck of it? OTOH if I start my turn a few yards away from this low wall can I not get behind it because if I move more than a step I lose the opportunity to crouch that turn!?
The first two seem to be allowable under the Crouching section, but if you can't see your target from your crouched position, it would count as a Pop-Up Attack, p.B390. You can't run several yards to a wall and then crouch on the same turn, but you can run and drop prone behind it for cover, then change to a crouch on the next turn.

Quote:
How fast can you move when crouching?
p.B387 says Crouching increases movement cost per hex by +1/2, equivalent to moving at x2/3 normal rate.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:

On page 364 it says that it is a free action to crouch or stand from a crouch at the start of your turn. The errata tells me that you can actually stand from a crouch at any time as a free action which is in line with page 368. Page 368 also says that you can crouch after you take your other actions if you move no more than a step.
Fundamentally:
  • Before you select and execute your maneuver on your turn, you can shift from crouching to standing, or vice versa, as a free action.
  • After you select and execute your maneuver on your turn, you can – if you have not moved more than a step – shift from standing to crouching as a free action.
  • At any time if you are crouched, you can shift from crouching to standing as a free action.
Quote:

Does this mean that if I start my turn crouched behind a low wall I can stand as a free action, shoot my gun as part of a attack maneuver, and (because I did not move) crouch as a free action?
Yes – but see Pop-Up Attacks (p. B390) for special penalties that will apply.

Quote:

Could I in fact step as well just for the heck of it?
Yes.

Quote:

OTOH if I start my turn a few yards away from this low wall can I not get behind it because if I move more than a step I lose the opportunity to crouch that turn!?
Correct. Per p. 98 of Martial Arts, though, you can run over to the wall and throw yourself prone behind it. This costs 1 movement point.

Quote:

I suppose I could crouch at the start of my turn and move behind the wall from there but that brings me to my second question. How fast can you move when crouching? Page 367 outlines speed for all the other postures but is silent in the case of crouching. In fact I can't seem to find any place where all the effects of the different postures are summarized.
You want p. B387, where it says that crouching movement costs +1/2 movement point per yard.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:34 AM   #4
MatthewVilter

Thank you for the replies! I also found the Postures Table on page 551 so that's good.

I still have questions:

Is there any way in the Basic Set (I don't have MA) to go prone with out taking the change posture maneuver? I know it is more or less free to go prone as part of a dodge and drop so it seems like you ought to be able to drop on your own with out needing to be shot at or having your teammate throw sugar cubes at you. ;)

When in a low posture is your Dodge score based on you modified Move or do you just use the flat modifiers listed on pages 549 and 551?

Is your adjusted skill limited to 9 when making a ranged move and attack?

If I perform an All-Out Defense (Double Defense) and then a Sacrificial Dodge and succeed can I then Block or Parry the hit?

When making a Sacrificial Dodge and Drop do I keep the +3 bonus to Dodge for a normal Dodge and Drop?
Old 07-15-2010, 01:41 AM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
When in a low posture is your Dodge score based on you modified Move or do you just use the flat modifiers listed on pages 549 and 551?
Dodge is based on Basic Speed (which doesn't change with posture) not Move.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:10 AM   #6
MatthewVilter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Dodge is based on Basic Speed (which doesn't change with posture) not Move.
Makes sense...

Thank you!
Old 07-15-2010, 02:31 AM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Is there any way in the Basic Set (I don't have MA) to go prone with out taking the change posture maneuver? I know it is more or less free to go prone as part of a dodge and drop so it seems like you ought to be able to drop on your own with out needing to be shot at or having your teammate throw sugar cubes at you. ;)
Expressly no. However the rule from Martial Arts isn't going to break anything if you include it by itself.

Quote:
Is your adjusted skill limited to 9 when making a ranged move and attack?
No.

Quote:
If I perform an All-Out Defense (Double Defense) and then a Sacrificial Dodge and succeed can I then Block or Parry the hit?
I don't see why not. The only thing you expressly can't do with a Sacrificial Dodge is retreat.

Quote:
When making a Sacrificial Dodge and Drop do I keep the +3 bonus to Dodge for a normal Dodge and Drop?
It is a form of Dodge and Drop so yes, as far as I can tell. It makes sense for most ranged attacks, knocking your buddy prone to take the hit is going to make it unlikely he gets hit; for grenades, not so much, but throwing yourself on the grenade ought to be easier than most dodges anyway.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basic set, crouch, free actions, movement, rules