Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-06-2006, 08:21 AM   #391
ham2anv

Default Re: 50-point Abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan
Costs Hit Point, 2 HP, -20%; Trigger, Injury, -15%
Does this power actually need 3 HP spent to function? If not, then I question whether these two should be valid together, at least at full value. I'd reduce the Trigger to -5% in such a case, personally.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:47 AM   #392
Gurps Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ham2anv
Does this power actually need 3 HP spent to function?
When I was building this ability, I assumed as follows:
  • If you aren't injued at all, you have to open a new bleeding wound on your body of at least 1 HP, in order to activate the ability. Net at least 3 HP required.
  • If you already have one or more bleeding wounds opened, you needn't suffer any new injury. 2 HP required.
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:40 AM   #393
Gurps Fan

For comparison, here's a Powers-suggested version of "disintegration" that does affect living targets:

Disintegration Ray Gun II (-80%): Corrosion Attack 125 points (125 points equals 125*0.3 = 37.5 dice; Breakable, DR 4, Can break down, SM -4, Hard to repair, -50%; Can Be Stolen, Quick Contest of ST, Doesn't work fo the thief, -15%; Increased 1/2D, *5, +10%; Superscience, -10%; Takes Recharge, 5 seconds, -10%; Unreliable, Malf 16, -5%) [75]. Notes: This Ray Gun is a superscience gadget that resembles a bulky, extra-large pistol. It has the same stats as Disintegration Ray Gun I, but it always does 125 points of damage and decreases DR by 25, even vs. living targets. It also contains a biometric scanner that limits usage to the authorized "owner"; even if stolen, it can't be used by the thief. Seems much more cost-effective than the Ray Gun I? 75 points.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:23 AM   #394
Arakhor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Wanderer
Powers has: Requires Surface (which lets you stay airborn for 5 secs) -20%
Additionally your ability lets you not only fly in one direction, but do turns and such, so you might want to add something like: Temporary Disadvantage (Basic Speed -5 (reduces it to 1) (Only for in flight steering purposes -50%)) -50%, but then drop the nuissance effect (the time you land defines the turn you can do...)
Hmm. I'm not so sure about the Requires Surface limitation, though I suppose even an aerial speed of 4 or so would allow you to do some twisting in the air or so. I guess Acrobatics would help out there.
While I'm at it...

Gift of Tongues [53]: Mind Reading (Cosmic: no IQ QC +50%, Universal +50%, Racial -20%, Sense-Based: Hearing & Sight -30%,Telepathic -10%, Understand Only -50%) [27] Telecommunication (Telesend, No Concentration Needed +15%, Universal +50%, Racial -20%, Sensory-Based: Hearing & Sight -30%, Telepathic -10%, Speech Only -20%) [26]

The character subconsciously monitors the minds of those he can see and hear so that he can interpret any foreign language he hears, provided of course that the words themselves aren't made-up nonsense. Likewise, if the character makes an IQ roll, any real words he says will be apparently translated to the native tongue of anyone visible that can hear him.

Orion, Freelancer, Skulls.

Last edited by Arakhor; 06-06-2006 at 02:52 PM.
Arakhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:29 PM   #395
Gurps Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakhor
Gift of Tongues [53]: Mind Reading (Cosmic: no IQ QC +50%, Universal +50%, Racial -20%, Sense-Based: Hearing & Sight -30%,Telepathic -10%, Understand Only -50%) [27] Telecommunication (Telesend, No Concentration Needed +15%, Universal +50%, Racial -20%, Sensory-Based: Hearing & Sight -30%, Telepathic -10%, Speech Only -20%) [26]
There's already a conceptually similar ability in Powers. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers, p. 148
Universal Translator: Mind Reading (Hearing-Based, -20%; Telecommunication, Telesend, -20%; Universal, +50%) [33] + Telesend (Universal, +50%) [45]. Notes: The possessor can project his thoughts to make himself understood to anyone, regardless of language. After establishing outgoing contact, he can open full two-way communication. This lets him understand his subject’s words and intentions -- if he can hear that person speak. 78 points.
If you haven't got Powers yet, I recommend for you to buy it now (Requires Surface is also in Powers). It's a valuable, suggestive, thought-provoking resource -- maybe one of the best books Kromm's ever written.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:44 AM   #396
Atreyu_Hibiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan
There's already a conceptually similar ability in Powers. . .

If you haven't got Powers yet, I recommend for you to buy it now (Requires Surface is also in Powers). It's a valuable, suggestive, thought-provoking resource -- maybe one of the best books Kromm's ever written.
"Conceptually similar abilities" are perfectly welcome in this thread... after all, "hurts the other guy" is the conceptual basis for a lot of the submissions, and I've gone to the sample Powers for ideas a time or two. (There was an entry on a forgetfulness ability that clued me in to how to build the neuralyzer, for one...)

And I heartily agree with you on the remainder of the post. Powers is the third book in the Basic Set. 'Nuff said.
Atreyu_Hibiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:44 AM   #397
zorg
Experimental Subject

Could anyone comment on this power, please? I'm not sure whether it needs Malediction or not.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:12 AM   #398
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg
Spirits of Strife and Discord [+76]
Affliction 1 (Disadvantage: Unluckiness +15%; Secondary Effect: Cursed +15%; Area Effect 512 yard radius +450%; Persistent +40%; Extended Duration Permanent - until next Monday +150%; Selective Area +20%; Based on Will +20%; Spirit -25%; 1 hour Preparation Required -50%; Special Effect: the accidents are mischievous pranks by chaotic spirits, and their nature should reflect this - all accidents must be caused by external influences, for instance)
Notes: The summoner conjures spirits of chaos and disharmony. These spirits haunt a certain location for up to one week, causing mischief and accidents. They can be commanded to spare certain persons.

Design Note: Inspiration was the summoning spell "The Kerubim of Exasperation and Confusion", from Nephilim - Occult Roleplaying. Considering that this is a basic technique of Summoning, quickly learned and easily available for starting characters, it is certainly powerful. I'm not sure whether Malediction is required. At the moment, armored individuals are protected from the spirits.
Comments?
I think that Mallediction would be interesting, mostly because otherwise there might be some weird effects, like people in presurized armor (or any kind of armor that covers all locations) getting a bonus to resist the effect of the trickster spririts.

Also, it would make the ability more effective IMHO, as long as you had a greater will than the target, since right now, he only needs a simple will roll to avoid the effect, and he would need an opposed roll with Malediction.

So my veredict is that yes, it needs malediction to work as intended.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:02 PM   #399
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads

Note: all these abilities are inspired by some lines from "Les Miserables" musical; names are purely indicative, and don't necessary reflect the "reality" of the opera (which is, by the way, splendid).

"Monsieur, you come from God in Heaven!" [49]

Charisma 6 (Pact, -10%) [27] + Fearlessness +6 (Pact, -10%) [11] Honest Face [1] + Penetrating Voice [1] + Shtick [1] + Trascendent Appearence (Impressive; Pact, -10%) [18] + Vow (Be a good man) [-10]. Note: You have a supernatural magnetism that makes acting against your will virtually impossible... until you start doing evil or selfish things: at this point, you immediately loose any benefit given by the ability until you expiate. If you keep yourself good and selfless, however, you look like a god on earth, able to use his presence to aid others. Particularly:

- Your presence is magnetic even if you look like an ordinary man: you gain a +5 reaction bonus from anyone who can see your face.
- When you interact directly with other people, they react at +6 (this effect stacks with the above presence bonus): your words seem simply "too true to be contradicted".
- You inspire trust in others, avoiding to raise unmotivated suspects anytime.
- Other people's reaction is not influenced by your dressing's conditions: you can be out from a battle and still look reliable.
- When you speak, people hear: when you wanto to be heard other noise, everybody gets a +3 to his Hearing roll.
- You are nearly impossible to frighten or intimidate: you get +6 to your Will rolls to resist fear or intimidation, and give a -6 penalty to Intimidation used against you.
49 points
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:03 PM   #400
Gurps Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreyu_Hibiki
"Conceptually similar abilities" are perfectly welcome in this thread... after all, "hurts the other guy" is the conceptual basis for a lot of the submissions, and I've gone to the sample Powers for ideas a time or two. (There was an entry on a forgetfulness ability that clued me in to how to build the neuralyzer, for one...)
Sorry for the gaffe, I withdraw the comment.

As compensation, here are 25-pointers conceptually identical to 3e Ultra-Tech 2 nanotechnologies:

Guardian Nano Injector (-80%/+150%): Impaling Attack 1 point (Limited Use, 1 use, Slow Reload, -35%; No Blunt Trauma, -20%; No Signature, +20%; No Wounding, -50%; Melee Attack, Reach C, Cannot Parry, -35%) [1] + Affliction 1 (HT; Advantage, Resistant to Nanite-Command Attacks (+8), +80%; Extetded Duration, Permanent, Until a month after the injection, +150%; Follow-Up, Impaling Attack, -70%; Nanite Command, -10%) [25]. Notes: A built-in injector that grants the target "guardian nano". It makes the target far more resistant to physiological attacks by nanomachines (no effect against purely physical attacks like disassemblers). Remains effective for a month or until removed with appropriate countermeasures. 26 points.

Shrike Nano Injection Gun (+95%/+113%): Impaling Attack 1 point (Armor Divisor 10, +200%; Limited Use, 1 use, Slow Reload, -35%; No Blunt Trauma, -20%; No Wounding, -50%) [4] + Affliction 1 (HT; Extetded Duration, Permanent, +150%; Follow-Up, Impaling Attack, -35%; Nanite Command, -10%; Negated Advantage, Resistant to Nanite-Command Attacks (+8), +8%) [22]. Notes: A built-in dart gun that injects "shrike nano" to the target. It suppress guardian nano or similar countermeasures, to force the victim's body to make way for other nanite intrusions. It is in effect until removed with appropriate medical/superscience treatment. 26 points.

Here I assume that "Nanite Command" (see Some Wierder origins, p. 182 of Powers) is assumed to be a power that fall under the source Superscience. "Nanite Command, -10%" is a power modifier belongs to Superscience and "Nanite-Command Attacks" is treated as a Common category for Resistant.

Tags
gurpsland, house rules, pdf, powers, sample powers