Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 01-11-2014, 09:43 AM   #1
Justin_Bedard

Default Dead Airway [OC]

Freemont Airport, 1968

7:00 News, Open to a black/white television, channel switches to News channel 7. cue cut-scene opening, title flashing. After the short cue, a newswoman in front of the airport entrance pulls a microphone up to her face.
Newswoman: Today, at Freemont Airport, A Quarantine was place this morning when several passengers from an incoming flight from Boca were reported sick with an unknown disease. Reports from the air tower has revealed that the plague had been spreading among the citizens trapped inside.
A fly-over of the airport reveals the building to be sealed, with the lights off. A side-scroll reveals a few military cars pulling up to the airport.
Newswoman: I can see... yes, several government officials seem to be approaching the building.
Several armed men get out of the military cars, slowly approaching the airport. one officer runs up to the camera.
Soldier: Shut down that camera! You {Points towards newswoman}! as of now, this building is contained by the {Static drowns out the name of the unit}. you are to remove yourself from the area!
Camera pans to the ground, moving towards the news van. A crashing noise can be heard from the airport. gunshots are heard, the camera points towards the airport, revealing several dozen people running towards and tackling the men standing guard. A zoom-in shows several of the infected biting into and killing the guards. the camera points towards the ground again, and the van door opens, the newswoman enters (panicked).
Newswoman: Oh-h my god!
Camera points out window, the soldier shoots several oncoming infected, but it does nothing. they leap on him, tearing through him in seconds. a last zoom-in of the airport entrance shows a small group of people, walking out with weapons held high. they take out some zombies before heading into one of the military cars before the camera shuts off.

This may be the end, but how did it begin?
Looking for 1-2 Player characters, since I have some from GURPS (Diskussion)

Book Sources: 4th Edition.
Basic Set, High Tech, Horror, some homebrew/internet search stuff on zombies, Possibly mass combat...

Character constraints:
Tech level: Middle of TL 7 (1968),LC: 4, with LC 3 guns and ammunition available with a 1 point purchase (License: Gun Owner) for each weapon.
status Limits: 0 (Passenger, bag boy, etc.) to 3 (rich lawyer, actress, etc.), same for rank.
Wealth: 2,500$, with a "free" passport and plane ticket. restricted from Struggling to Very Rich (above that, you own a plane...)
Home brew: Recovery [1], Easy to knockout (-2 per level), Common Sense [1]

Population: 22,000

NPC'S and possible pre-made PC's:
Glen Haverfield, Character Background
Gordy White, Character Background
Sierra Jones, Character Background

Comment area:
The Matrix Walker:
Truthfully, starting wealth IS 15,000$, but you only have access to all that money should you build a full history, as well as purchasing a house, car, etc. this however is very time-consuming.

Just saw Charles... I can't tell if you're being serious, but that character has some flaws.
1) Blindness? really? it's all right, but you're setting your character up with no personality.
2) What's up with the dog? is it an ally, or a signature gear? either way, it's something along a 5 point ally or a signature gear [2 to 3, depending on breed]
3) What's with the 10-point and above skills? shuffle those points around and add more skills... or... I don't know... buy off some disadvantages?
4) What's with the empty bag, and the "equipment"?
sorry if it seems brutal, it's just that your character is quite broken. take the other PC's as guides. points though for the original character.

i'm not saying no, just why?

Last edited by Justin_Bedard; 01-13-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Justin_Bedard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
cynical13

Default Re: Dead Airway [OC]

Please let me know if I need to change anything. I just edited this to include possessions.

Name: Professor Henry Riddle
Race: Human

Attributes [80]
ST 9 [-10]
DX 11 [20]
IQ 14 [80]
HT 9 [-10]

HP 9
Will 14
Per 14
FP 9

Basic Lift 16
Damage 1d-2/1d-1

Basic Speed 5
Basic Move 5

Ground Move 5
Water Move 1

Social Background
TL: 7 [0]
Cultural Familiarities:
Languages:

Advantages [8]
Common Sense [1]
Eidetic Memory [5]
Lightning Calculator [2]

Disadvantages [-50]
Absent-Mindedness [-15]
Bad Sight (Nearsighted) [-25]
Curious (12 or less) [-5]
Oblivious [-5]

Skills [37]
Administration IQ/A - IQ+0 14 [2]
Chemistry/TL7 IQ/H - IQ+2 16 [12]
Mathematics/TL7 (Applied) IQ/H - IQ+0 14 [4]
Physics/TL7 IQ/VH - IQ-2 12 [2]
Running HT/A - HT+3 12 [12]
Scrounging Per/E - Per+0 14 [1]
Search Per/A - Per+0 14 [2]
Writing IQ/A - IQ+0 14 [2]

Stats [80] Ads [8] Disads [-50] Quirks [0] Skills [37] = Total [75]

Hand Weapons

Ranged Weapons

Armor & Possessions
4 Batteries $4 Wgt:0 Location: In suitcase.
1 Blanket $20 Wgt:4 Location: In suitcase.
1 Cigarette Lighter $10 Wgt:0 Location: In jacket pocket.
1 Cloth Armor (Tweed Suit) $30 Wgt:6 Location:torso, groin
1 Flashlight, Mini $10 Wgt:.25 Location: In jacket pocket.
1 Ordinary Clothes $120 Wgt:2 Location: In suitcase.
1 Personal Basics $5 Wgt:1 Location: In Suitcase.
1 Suitcase, Hard $250 Wgt:8 Location: In hand.
1 Transistor Radio $15 Wgt:.5 Location: In suitcase.
1 Traveler's Rations $2 Wgt:.5 Location: In suit pocket.
1 Wristwatch $20 Wgt:0 Location: On wrist.
1 Plane Ticket Wgt:0 Location: In jacket pocket.
1 Passport Wgt:0 Location: In jacket pocket.

Last edited by cynical13; 01-13-2014 at 11:31 AM.
cynical13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:08 PM   #3
FrumpyAndy

Please take a look and let me know if any adjustments need to be made. Got any rules on starting gear?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4z...it?usp=sharing

Here's his character sheet with the basics of some starting gear:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4z...it?usp=sharing

I created the Throwing Dart item and just based it on a mix between a blowpipe (to emulate its darts) and a small knife (to emulate a standalone ranged weapon). He's got 3 of them as it's his set that he uses when he plays at bars or whatever. I was surprised but the shotgun is appearing as LC4. Let me know if it's not cool to start with it and I'll drop it.

Last edited by FrumpyAndy; 01-11-2014 at 05:23 PM. Reason: adding detail
FrumpyAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:31 PM   #4
wat3rm0le

So here is my character: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-k...it?usp=sharing

Charley Houle, a blind, amateur weightlifter flying back from the 17th International Stoke Mandeville Games held in Tel Aviv in 1968. He travels with "Lucy" his Labrador Retriever guide dog.

Let me know what you think-- I don't know if I'm making a munchkin or just zombie fodder, but I think Charley will be fun to play.
wat3rm0le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:29 AM   #5
the_matrix_walker

Another character for your inspection... newly retired Army Captain Rosco Brown...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FE&usp=sharing

Rosco has just retired from a 30 year career in the Army. His service has taken him all over the world in defense of the United States. Now he's returning to his hometown for good. He's purchased a 10 acre spread, and he plans to fix up and modernize an old dilapidated log cabin on the property and rough it while he does. He was allowed to take his personal kit with him, and he's got enough money left after the purchase of the property for some tools and materials, and he's anxious to get started on this new adventure.

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 01-13-2014 at 09:56 PM.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:09 AM   #6
FrumpyAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wat3rm0le View Post
So here is my character: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-k...it?usp=sharing

Charley Houle, a blind, amateur weightlifter flying back from the 17th International Stoke Mandeville Games held in Tel Aviv in 1968. He travels with "Lucy" his Labrador Retriever guide dog.

Let me know what you think-- I don't know if I'm making a munchkin or just zombie fodder, but I think Charley will be fun to play.
Seems to me you'd need to take a 4 point Ally Advantage (which you can afford at face value, barring any other potential issues with your character) for your seeing eye dog. It's <25% of your point total (1 pt) and always there (x4).
Old 01-13-2014, 07:47 AM   #7
FrumpyAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Another character for your inspection... newly retired Army Captain Rosco Brown...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FE&usp=sharing
Just my two cents from a quick look at Rosco (I'm not an expert by any means so I could be wrong on some or all of this).
  • So Rosco has a lot of focus on these two 1903 Colts (including a license for each?), but doesn't seem to be carrying them.
  • Justin has mentioned on the corresponding G+ post that he's using Basic and Horror as sources, neither of which contain Unlimited Ammo, Weapon Bond, or Wheelman! that I could find.
  • Light Sleeper is [-5] rather than [1], putting you at [-55] total, which is beyond the [-50] limit.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:56 AM   #8
the_matrix_walker

What's your preference on the side-arm? There were a few possibilities for the Officer's semi-automatic pistol sidearm in the era, but I don't see them written up in GURPS terms. That's why I was just using the stats for the Auto Pistol .40... but if this being called TL 7, I should probably base it on the Auto Pistol, 9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Bedard View Post
Starting wealth is specifically 15 000$, with 20% of that being 3000$, The price of pre-existing starting gear (Passport & Plane Ticket) lowers that to roughly 2,500$. so no, Signature gear is worth 1/2 or 1,250$ per point.

So Gig gear is worth 1/5th normal.

Normal TL 7 would be half of $15,000, or $7,500 per point. (It makes a pretty huge difference, so I want to make sure.) I want the very fine pistol, which is 5x as expensive, which is still just a point of sig gear for a pair normally, but at your reduced rate, one would be 3 points and a pair would be 5 points.

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 01-13-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:14 PM   #9
wat3rm0le

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrumpyAndy View Post
Seems to me you'd need to take a 4 point Ally Advantage (which you can afford at face value, barring any other potential issues with your character) for your seeing eye dog. It's <25% of your point total (1 pt) and always there (x4).
Oh good call F.A. Thanks!
wat3rm0le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:08 PM   #10
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Bedard View Post
Truthfully, starting wealth IS 15,000$, but you only have access to all that money should you build a full history, as well as purchasing a house, car, etc. this however is very time-consuming.
The guideline you're referring to is a suggestion for the distribution of starting cash for those with a "settled lifestyle" (which would not apply to a career military man just embarking on his retirement) it's not a rule unless you're "Houseruling" it and it has no impact on the value of Signature Gear unless you are also "Houseruling" that... so you might be able to see my confusion on the matter.

By the way... it's quite difficult to know when you've responded if you just keep editing the intro post. It also makes it impossible to reference rulings you've made and erased.

Tags
gurps 4e, horror, pbp, zombies