Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-23-2017, 02:05 AM   #51
Jaware

Default Re: Need help with some stuff with Ritual/Path magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Well, for RPM + Technomagic, I suggested UB = 20% of (cost of Magery + Ritual Adept), but those two systems are significantly different, so you're getting a lot more flexibility. For RPM + Ritual Symbols, I'd probably halve that (so, 4 points for adepts and then effectively a leveled perk for mages). Or if that's too complex, you could just go a flat 5 points for non-adepts, 10 points for adepts.
Alright. I appreciate it much.
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:15 AM   #52
Jaware

I have one last question (for now)... maybe...

I was trying to build a list of spells to be commonly cast.

I was trying to make a lightning bolt spell with a stunning secondary with the turns metal Dr into Dr 1. But the closest I got to cost like 51 energy for 3rd damage. Does that sound ok?

I was also trying to make a defensive blocking spell. One that took the kinetic energy out of hits. And i either got 6 energy, or 18 energy. Which makes more sense? Grreater or lesser efect? A sword or arrow both can come to rest naturally. But I don't know. Seems cheap for the effect.

and lastly I was trying to make a signature fire attack.

mostly one that delt damage, was an "essential lifebane" fire. Cause in fire that can't be easily put out and spread over a target making more lifebane fire. However. It wouldn't burn anything other than the person hit with the missile spell. It was long and complicated which made sense. I came to some 110energy or so. But I want another effect. But I don't know where to start. I want to treat things as though they were one flammability class higher. How would I model that? Any ideas?
Old 06-23-2017, 02:23 AM   #53
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post
I was trying to make a lightning bolt spell with a stunning secondary with the turns metal Dr into Dr 1. But the closest I got to cost like 51 energy for 3rd damage. Does that sound ok?
Hmmm. How? Should be something like Greater Create Energy (6) + Damage, 3d External Burning (Side Effect, Stunning, +60%; Surge, Arcing, +100%) [32]. 38x3. 114 energy

Quote:
I was also trying to make a defensive blocking spell. One that took the kinetic energy out of hits. And i either got 6 energy, or 18 energy. Which makes more sense? Grreater or lesser efect? A sword or arrow both can come to rest naturally. But I don't know. Seems cheap for the effect.
This is a Greater effect for sure. I just wrote up a spell to do something like this recently but I can't remember who I did it for. It was in an email I remember that for sure. I'll look and see if I can find it. It's not that cheap though.

Quote:
and lastly I was trying to make a signature fire attack.

mostly one that delt damage, was an "essential lifebane" fire. Cause in fire that can't be easily put out and spread over a target making more lifebane fire. However. It wouldn't burn anything other than the person hit with the missile spell. It was long and complicated which made sense. I came to some 110energy or so. But I want another effect. But I don't know where to start. I want to treat things as though they were one flammability class higher. How would I model that? Any ideas?
Add Incendiary. If you want to add multiple Incendiary levels just add Cosmic. That's covered in GURPS Power-Ups 4.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:57 AM   #54
Jaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Hmmm. How? Should be something like Greater Create Energy (6) + Damage, 3d External Burning (Side Effect, Stunning, +60%; Surge, Arcing, +100%) [32]. 38x3. 114 energy

This is a Greater effect for sure. I just wrote up a spell to do something like this recently but I can't remember who I did it for. It was in an email I remember that for sure. I'll look and see if I can find it. It's not that cheap though.

Add Incendiary. If you want to add multiple Incendiary levels just add Cosmic. That's covered in GURPS Power-Ups 4.

I didn't put surge and arching is why it wasn't triple didgits.

that's what I thought as well. But the book said anything that could naturally stop was a lesser effect. So I didn't know. It felt like it needed to be more expensive.

Ahh. That makes sense. Would that be a greater energy effect? Or what?
Old 06-23-2017, 10:14 PM   #55
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
I didn't put surge and arching is why it wasn't triple didgits.

that's what I thought as well. But the book said anything that could naturally stop was a lesser effect. So I didn't know. It felt like it needed to be more expensive.

Ahh. That makes sense. Would that be a greater energy effect? Or what?
Yeah, it's natural if you can call it down during a cloudy sky - not so much if you through it from your hand. Everything must be paid for for attacks - so you have to add enhancements.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:54 PM   #56
Jaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Yeah, it's natural if you can call it down during a cloudy sky - not so much if you through it from your hand. Everything must be paid for for attacks - so you have to add enhancements.
My appologies. In my haste to type before work, I seemed to have mis - phrased my statement.

For the lightning bolt, I didn't out surge in because I didn't feel the need to put an effect in that I didn't want. And arching, I don't know what book it's from off the top of my head.

but the lesser effect was for destroy energy for the"defensive" spell to slow down an attack.

in the book when it's talking about destroy energy, it says that if something could be stipend naturally, the example it uses is for a fire running out of fuel, it's a lesser effect. But stopping the sun from shining can't be done with a lesser because it's unnatural for the sun to just stop shining.

I would see a sword swinging as a lesser effect. It's not normally in motion. And it will end it's motion if no additional force is applied. Much like the campfire example.

that is what I was confused over.

as for the asking about the greater effect, I was referring to the application of the incindiary modifier and how that would look when written out.

Tags
magic, monster hunters, path, ritual, ritual path magic