Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 09-30-2010, 02:55 AM   #11
JCD

Default Re: Being Disturbing the Right Way

Additionally,

Celestially blind characters ALWAYS have to roll Perception. They never have an automatic sense of Disturbance.

For short ranges (< 5 for example) you might rule there is no automatic detection, but that the player gets Perception + Disturbance to detect. Not sure if that breaks the system.

Using my method, Jennifer's 84 Disturbance would have an automatic detection range of a 5+ mile radius. I wonder if anyone heard...

Last edited by JCD; 09-30-2010 at 02:59 AM.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:27 AM   #12
JCD

In the 'Deconstructing' Thread, Jason asked a question about how the darned normal rules are calculated. So in the interests of clarity, I wanted to set this out so we have a baseline to work with.

Bob is an ordinary Celestial of 3 Celestial Forces and 6 Perception. Nicole from Bright Dream does a 22 point Disturbance in recruiting the Narrator.

Our basic calculation is Perception modifier (i.e. Disturbance size) TIMES Celestial Forces. Assume Celestial Forces of 3 on average. 22 Disturbance x 3 = 66 yards. That is the 'increment'. Every 66 yards from ground zero, you get a Perception of -1. But we are starting at +22. 22 x 66 = 1452 Yards.

This means that Bob, 1452 yards away from ground zero, simply needs to roll his Perception to hear it. 'Automatic' detection range is at 6 increments less then this (1452 - {66 x6} = 1056.) Anyone with a perception of 6 or greater and without Celestial Blindness can hear the Disturbance at 1056 yards without a roll because the roll is at a +6 modifier.

To continue the example: For Bob, our average Celestial, to no longer have any chance to hear this disturbance, we need to add 396 yards (66 times 6) to 1452. So at 1848 yards, Nicole is safe from Bob hearing her. This is more then a mile and doesn't include Interventions.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:37 PM   #13
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andygal View Post
use metric, like everybody except you silly Yankees does,
What do you mean, "you Yankees"? (gets out Air Farce Frequent Flyer card)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andygal View Post
and go with 10 meters as the base distance?
That could work...

Edit: Or we could leave the unit up to the GM - "yards" if the Celestial is in Manhattan, "feet" if he's in downtown Tokyo, "miles" if he's in the middle of Saskatchewan...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #14
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
What do you mean, "you Yankees"? (gets out Air Farce Frequent Flyer card)

That could work...

Edit: Or we could leave the unit up to the GM - "yards" if the Celestial is in Manhattan, "feet" if he's in downtown Tokyo, "miles" if he's in the middle of Saskatchewan...
I grok it generally for the sake of story, since I'm often posting without my books directly at hand. However I definitely make adjustments for the Noise level of the area. City Disturbances mask the small stuff. On the other extreme the oceans, since they have neither people nor ruling Superiors, practically magnify Disturbance, allowing islanders a nice little listening post. It's almost as though Disturbance is carried over the water like ordinary sound is carried in it.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:36 AM   #15
Azel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
I grok it generally for the sake of story, since I'm often posting without my books directly at hand. However I definitely make adjustments for the Noise level of the area. City Disturbances mask the small stuff. On the other extreme the oceans, since they have neither people nor ruling Superiors, practically magnify Disturbance, allowing islanders a nice little listening post. It's almost as though Disturbance is carried over the water like ordinary sound is carried in it.
I like this. Before I thought disturbance was painfully nerfed in all places but the densest of urban zones. A football field looks big, but in actuality it just isn't that far with regards to most cities, nearly all suburbia, and all rural areas. If that was so demons can mess with rural areas with complete impunity -- who's gonna hear it? If that's so, what's the point of Game & Judgment, besides internal police -- just go Dragon Ball Z on everyone, fly to a large empty space "just over there" and go explode-y all over the place (his power is 8000, how can that be!?). No one can hear it, so who cares?

But a sliding scale in relation to population density is very, very interesting. Mechanics would have to be more flexible and be more of a DM judgment call, but the game is used to this. Dunno how I'd run it yet, but keep this alternate idea going.

I just use 10 yards as base distance, myself. It roughly works out to 10 meters as well. It works pretty well and the sizable "listening range" actually encourages *some* subtlety and planning from players. Disturbance is a great feature of the game; I'd hate to see it ignored by players running to out-of-earshot distance.
Azel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rules