Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #11
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Lockheed Skunkworks to build Ogre fusion reactor prototype by 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
And I'm sure their unicorn breeding program will take off any time now too.
people though the same thing about their Blackbird project too...
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
people though the same thing about their Blackbird project too...
Fool me once... "They've" been saying fusion is right around the corner since before I was born. It's gotten to the put up or shut up point. Don't tell us what you're going to do, just when you've actually done something useful.

Not that cautious developers can hide "Ground Breaking Research!" from the idiot media, though.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #13
ladue

That prototype might be ready by 2117, but they aren't anywhere near having one working by 2017. Figure that they'll need at least 10 years of a working, power providing permanent setup first, and they aren't within 10 years of getting one of those working either as far as I've seen.
ladue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #14
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladue View Post
That prototype might be ready by 2117, but they aren't anywhere near having one working by 2017. Figure that they'll need at least 10 years of a working, power providing permanent setup first, and they aren't within 10 years of getting one of those working either as far as I've seen.
For something that size and new, I would almost guess 10 years just to get the building, zoning, and E.P.A. permits. lol
Old 03-12-2013, 12:30 AM   #15
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
That was my understanding. Nothing at a remotely useful scale existed outside labs, and none of the labs had reached net energy production. (I can't recall whether even the tiny experiments have reached net energy production.)

The claim that Lockheed will build a "compact" reactor (with more power than anything experimental that I know of) in 4 years and have it commercialized in 10 years (after six decades of failures and a decade before ITER lights up) seems laughable. If they were proposing to have a prototype by 2107 rather than 2017, it might be plausible...
Sure, those year-quotes and the ITER bit make this a bit unlikely - unless they've actually got a new design. If it's a newer, better design, then there's no real need to wait for ITER, and if it'd work on a small scale, then all they need to do is build the small scale design. The huge timeframe for ITER is due to the extreme infrastructure challenge; something that's much smaller would obviously take a shorter amount of time to test and produce.

Basically: If they can actually build the compact version and already have a design for it, then it makes sense that the timescale would be greatly shorter, because there'd be no need to do the massive engineering challenge that the larger building-sized experiments require.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:06 AM   #16
fifiste

Hmm so they'd be able to have the same or even more time for running thing and futzing up and rebuilding thing and futzing up again etc.
But they'd win a considerable amount on the building time as they are not using a holy s**** that's huge gargantuan model like ITER is.
fifiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:38 PM   #17
johndallman
Night Watchman

There was an update in 2016. They're now looking at a much larger reactor. The square-cube law is implacable.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote