Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #11
Nymdok

Default Re: 1e Tomb of Horrors Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I don't think it's trivial. The philosophical differences between D&D DCs and GURPS modifiers are vast not to mention the purely mathematical differences between 1d20 and 3d6 probability.
I'd definitely have to look into it more, but if its simple pass/fail it shouldn't be that tough.

The saving throws, for example, in 1e AD&D are flat d20. A 60% chance of success is a 60% chance of success regardless of what your rolling.

Now granted, 3d6 gets a bit coarse in the middle, but the difference between 60% and 62.5% is pretty small and overall, Id say pretty negligible.

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #12
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymdok View Post
Ah. Let me be more clear. I have not ever played anything past BD&D and AD&D 1E. I do not understand the following terms/phrases.

DC

Save DC

Favored Save

Unfavored Save

If someone would be kind enough to outline how all this works and, more importantly what the odds of success and failure are, then the mapping is a trivial matter.

As I do not understand the terms or the mechanic, its a task Im poorly suited for.

Nymdok
DC: Number you must reach with a d20+modifiers. If you have a disarm traps skill of +12, you succeed at a DC 22 check on a 10 or more.

Save DC: The number you must reach with a d20+mods to get partial or no effects from a trap, a spell, or some other nastiness. There are three types of save: reflexes (dodging out of the way, it's what you use to halve the damage of fireballs), Fortitude (Resisting an effect that targets the body directly, most often for paralysis, instant death, poisons, etc etc) and Willpower (resisting an effect that targets the mind directly). See Favored save for more details on saves

Favored save/Unfavored save: D&D 3rd ed has two save progressions, a favored, or fast one, and an unfavored, or slow one. The favored one is about twice the unfavored one. Each class gets between 0 and 3 favored saves. For example, the fighter has a favored fortitude save, and unfavored willpower and reflexes saves. To roll a save, you add your relevant attribute (Dex for Refl, Con for Fort, Wis for Will), your base save bonus (from your level) and any items that give a bonus to saves. Characters who have levels in more than one class, calculate the saves independently for each class, and add them together (So a level 4 fighter/level ranger would have +4 fort/+1 refl/+1 will from his 4 levels of fighter, and +4 fort/+4 refl/+1 will from his 4 levels of ranger, for a total of +8 fort/ +5 refl/+2 will. If he has Dex 20 (bonus of +5), Con 14 (bonus of +2) and Wis 14 (bonus of +2), his final saves will be +13 fort/+7 refl/+4 wis
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #13
Nymdok

Ok so lets do an example.

The First false entrance, 1. False Entrance Tunnel (page 5 of the Revised PDF) says DC 23 for 1/2 Damge, Search DC 24, Disable DC 24.

If I understand this right, then those numbers alone really mean nothing until we know the context of the party involved. I know that the module is designed for 9th level chars.

So taking the first case, Reflex save at DC 23, can you take an average of say Fighter, Magic User, Thief, and Cleric and come up with some number?

In other words, do all Fighters have unfavored reflex saves fro example? Do all 9th level fighters have the same reflex save?

Nymdok
Old 01-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymdok View Post
In other words, do all Fighters have unfavored reflex saves fro example? Do all 9th level fighters have the same reflex save?
They all have the same base save of +3, yes. Individual fighters will vary based on their Dex bonus. Like I said upthread, this information is easy to find.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:43 PM   #15
rogersd

Nymdok thank you for all of your work. I recently, well before Christmas, downloaded this adventure off the WotC site and am reading through with a mind to converting it for use in my Dungeon Fantasy game. It appears that you have done much of the work for me.

Can't wait to see your monster conversions.

You have my sincerest gratitude.

Dave.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:31 PM   #16
Nymdok

No prob rogersd! If it helps you and makes your gaming easier then enjoy!

As always, if you do use this pdf in any capacity, feedback is always appreciated :)

Nymdok

Tags
balance, conversion, tomb of horrors