Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-22-2018, 12:10 PM   #31
platimus

Default Re: New Staff to-hit roll using IQ! (serious balance problem, no?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
There is a big difference in probability when moving, say, from 11 to 12 as the target for a 3d6 roll, so a wizard with DX 11 and IQ 12 will be far more effective with a staff under the new rule.
Well, yeah, whenever you go up a point on the bell-curve there's a big difference (until you get to around 14) but is it a "big game-balance" difference? I'm not so sure. I wouldn't use IQ to swing the staff either way though.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:14 PM   #32
hcobb

Wizard page 19: "the wizard may roll against his IQ if it is higher than his DX."

Compare against base or adjusted DX?

Would anybody have a problem with adjusting this entire section to only (and always) use IQ when rolling to miss with the staff?

Last edited by hcobb; 09-22-2018 at 12:20 PM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:36 PM   #33
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Wizard page 19: "the wizard may roll against his IQ if it is higher than his DX."

Good question. Also it adds the whole "base IQ or never-explicity-mentioned adjIQ?" As written, it looks to me like adjDX compared to base IQ (which would be used to hit, since nothing ever mentions an IQ adjustment for armor or iron or anything, which also adds a whole other level of "this is unbalanced and weird").

Quote:
Would anybody have a problem with adjusting this entire section to only (and always) use IQ when rolling to miss with the staff?
So, for striking into HTH piles? Only that it's still a weird new unique way to do things that's unclear what modifiers to use and makes dubious sense. I think the idea has some charm though. I would not find it to be a big deal from a balance standpoint, unlike rolling to hit with IQ.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:38 PM   #34
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post

I would. All staff attacks should be versus DX the same way all other attacks are. Would you let a wizard roll against IQ to avoid hitting a friend with a fireball?
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:23 PM   #35
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
I would. All staff attacks should be versus DX the same way all other attacks are. Would you let a wizard roll against IQ to avoid hitting a friend with a fireball?
As previously stated by myself and others, I agree.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:42 PM   #36
malchidael

On one hand, I can see a valid reason for this.

With the 40 point stat cap that has been discussed elsewhere, if you wanted to have your wizard get IQ20, the highest DX you could start with is 12 (assuming human), and it could never improve (start ST 8/DX 12/IQ 12 and add your 8 points to IQ).

Of course, casting spells based on DX will still be a problem - they'll have better odds of hitting someone with a stick than of casting spells. Which is odd, given that they are a Wizard.

I can see it now - armies of heavily armored wizards all lined up to beat on things with their sticks, while the non-wizards learn basic spells like aid, blur and clumsiness to buff them and bane their foes.
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:03 PM   #37
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by malchidael View Post
On one hand, I can see a valid reason for this.

With the 40 point stat cap that has been discussed elsewhere, if you wanted to have your wizard get IQ20, the highest DX you could start with is 12 (assuming human), and it could never improve (start ST 8/DX 12/IQ 12 and add your 8 points to IQ).

Of course, casting spells based on DX will still be a problem - they'll have better odds of hitting someone with a stick than of casting spells. Which is odd, given that they are a Wizard.

I can see it now - armies of heavily armored wizards all lined up to beat on things with their sticks, while the non-wizards learn basic spells like aid, blur and clumsiness to buff them and bane their foes.
LOL
Ok. Good (and amusing) point. It is balance changing.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:38 PM   #38
Skarg

Apprentices with the Aid spell already assist powerful wizards to cast spells with high ST requirements to cast. They may as well also be used to raise their DX to cast spells, as well. Particularly for wizards who mainly cast spells in peaceful circumstances.

(So either IQ is not adjusted down by anything, so wizards can wear armor etc and still be really accurate with their staffs, or the DX modifiers also apply to IQ, so now there's such a things as adjIQ, but only to hit with staffs? I also wonder if the adjDX 2 wizard with adjIQ 14 attacks at the same time as people with adjDX 2 or adjDX 14?)
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:48 PM   #39
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
This isn't an errata per se but I think it deserves consideration as a potential serious mistake. It seems to me it quite throws off the balance in basic TFT arena combat, ...
Hi Skarg, everyone.
I agree. Wizards have got a lot of boosts in this revision of TFT, making them combat monsters as well is unwise, I think.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:08 PM   #40
Cromarty

I don't think that the original posted character is overpowered.

He will automatically lose to any wizard that gets close enough to cast a rope spell.

When cast his DX will go below 2, rendering him helpless.

Then it just involves closing the distance, aiming for 1 turn and despatching him
Cromarty is offline   Reply With Quote