Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-22-2018, 10:53 AM   #371
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: Campaign: Facets

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Oooo … what's the fundamental magical unit of length?
The Crowley Length?
The Potter Length?
The Merlin Length?
The Glenda Length?
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:50 PM   #372
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
The thaum. ;)
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 02:17 PM   #373
tshiggins

Quote:
One yard. Duh.

This is GURPS. :)
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:37 PM   #374
SionEwig

That was interesting. A very large amount of information, some of which might even be useful, if they take proper advantage of it. I am pleased that they didn't open fire on the flying sub. Perhaps they are finally learning discretion (joking).

Quote:
The young man behind the desk seemed to know them by sight, and welcomed them warmly to the offices and asked how he could assist them. Aurelia said they’d like to speak to someone about becoming vendors, and find out more about import duties.

The clerk smiled and said that wouldn’t be necessary. Someone named Gerda Jonckers had left an invitation to join her for a luncheon in her offices the day after they got settled in, he said, and asked if tomorrow would work for their schedule?

Aurelia cautiously replied that it might, but asked who Ms. Jonckers might be. The young man apologized and said he’d forgotten his manners, and neglected to consider the fact they’d arrived in town so recently.

Gerda Jonckers served as director of the Geoctroyeerde Nieuw Haarlem Compagnie, which (in their parlance) made her the CEO of the corporation -- and therefore the woman in charge of the the entire town and all GNHC activities that took place, there.

Aurelia blinked at the response, took a moment to let the implications sink in, and then said the group would gladly meet with Ms. Jonckers for lunch, the next day. However, once the group left the building, she freaked out a bit.

After all, Aurelia noted that the last time she got invited to a "friendly meeting" with an alpha-personality business-woman, she got mind-controlled; a deadly firefight broke out in close proximity to Denver International Airport; the cops came pouring in and almost captured or shot everybody; and the group found itself in a brutal feud with a more powerful and experienced lodge of magical practitioners.
Gee almost like someone might have sent a message about them ahead (along with descriptions and information known on the party) and then once they arrived that someone just might have gotten the descriptions of everyone and possibly have put surveillance in place. Gee, can NPCs think things through and be competent? ;-)
SionEwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:14 AM   #375
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SionEwig View Post
That was interesting. A very large amount of information, some of which might even be useful, if they take proper advantage of it. I am pleased that they didn't open fire on the flying sub. Perhaps they are finally learning discretion (joking).
Aurelia's comment about "their ogres" pretty much summed up the situation. The twin .50s, by themselves, could have taken out the Paradise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SionEwig View Post
Gee almost like someone might have sent a message about them ahead (along with descriptions and information known on the party) and then once they arrived that someone just might have gotten the descriptions of everyone and possibly have put surveillance in place. Gee, can NPCs think things through and be competent? ;-)
They'll find out, tomorrow (today). That's the next session. :)
Old 09-23-2018, 09:53 AM   #376
SionEwig

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
Aurelia's comment about "their ogres" pretty much summed up the situation. The twin .50s, by themselves, could have taken out the Paradise.
That's an understatement.

Quote:
They'll find out, tomorrow (today). That's the next session. :)
Can't wait for the write-up. Here's hoping that the dice don't roll too badly.
SionEwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:33 PM   #377
evileeyore
Banned

Just going to reask this in case it was missed yesterday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
So... did they find out how to find their way back to their portal? Or do they already have rituals to home in on portals?
Old 09-23-2018, 06:51 PM   #378
tshiggins

Quote:
Just going to reask this in case it was missed yesterday...
In addition to the Healing spells that everybody researched, early on, the only person who studied the Gate spells was (wait for it...) Sunmi Jones.

She, of course, is now at-large in the 1919 world, doing an errand for Erzulie Dahomey and, more immediately relevantly, not with the party.

Now then, Rebecca is back from spending her second summer with a drum & bugle corps, but whether or not she decides to play again is up in the air. She's an 18-year-old girl who wants to get something going that resembles a normal social life, so she may have bowed out of the campaign, permanently.

Henrietta does have the ability to detect magic and see auras, and such, which means she could home in on it. The group also spoke with the Nieuw Haarlem Corp staff mage, this session, and discovered that Henrietta also has access to a spell to potentially "home in" on a portal, but she hadn't prepped it for this trip.

Also, as an FYI, I'm using Raekai's Project Grimoire conversions of the basic Magic spells to RPM, located here:
As a .xls file for older versions of Office.
As a .xlsx file for newer versions of Office.

You can read more about that in his thread at, http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=124196

I like that, a lot, since G: Cabal was originally written with a slightly modified 3e G:Magic system, in mind. I also cross-checked a couple dozen of Raekai's conversions with similar spells posted in this thread, http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=122009 .

The numbers matched up really well, so I decided to use Project Grimoire as the base spell list. What makes it nice is that the Raekai "showed his work" on the conversions, and that makes them really easy to use as worked examples for RPM, to either modify or use to help build original spells, once the group decides they're ready to give that a try.

Last edited by tshiggins; 09-23-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:43 PM   #379
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
In addition to the Healing spells that everybody researched, early on, the only person who studied the Gate spells was (wait for it...) Sunmi Jones.
I thought someone else has started to study up on Gate magic because Sumni was, well, Sumni.

Quote:
The group also spoke with the Nieuw Haarlem Corp staff mage, this session, and discovered that Henrietta also has access to a spell to potentially "home in" on a portal, but she hadn't prepped it for this trip.
That's the answer I was hoping for. They did think to ask and not just once again jump in without a planned for retreat...

;)

Quote:
Also, as an FYI, I'm using Raekai's Project Grimoire conversions of the basic Magic spells to RPM, located here:
As a .xls file for older versions of Office.
As a .xlsx file for newer versions of Office.
Cool I check it out.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:12 AM   #380
tshiggins

Quote:
I thought someone else has started to study up on Gate magic because Sumni was, well, Sumni.
It's high on the list, but they had to spend a lot of time working on the dirigible over the summer.

Also, since they fear the 1711 world will be fraught with danger, those who did study spell colleges chose options likely to help them survive the year. :)

Quote:
That's the answer I was hoping for. They did think to ask and not just once again jump in without a planned for retreat...

;)
Oh, given the lack of fuel and general difficulty in flying back to the West, the decision to rush through the portal to the Orbital Realm of Jupiter definitely would have terrified most angels. :)

Quote:
Cool I check it out.
Raekai put a ton of effort into it, and as worked examples of RPM, Project Grimoire is simply brilliant.

Tags
cabal, campaign, facets