Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:19 AM   #1
Misplaced Buckeye

Default CRAZY idea!! A Battlefields reflection

I was looking through the Battlefields KS now that it's finished and thinking how great the idea of reskins was especially for those of use with larger ODE set ups which got me to thinking about the M series maps and then this light came on.

How about reskining the backs of the Ogre Boards and/or the ODE boards similar to what's coming in Battlefields. Maybe the Icepick map or a Lunar or Mars map? and teaming them up with new scenarios to match say for an Ogre Scenario IV book. Maybe some of the entries for Ogrezine that didn't make the cut?
Or Maybe an island theme for GEV warfare.

Or am I just shooting blanks here?
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:52 PM   #2
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: CRAZY idea!! A Battlefields reflection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye View Post
I was looking through the Battlefields KS now that it's finished and thinking how great the idea of reskins was especially for those of use with larger ODE set ups which got me to thinking about the M series maps and then this light came on.

How about reskining the backs of the Ogre Boards and/or the ODE boards similar to what's coming in Battlefields. Maybe the Icepick map or a Lunar or Mars map? and teaming them up with new scenarios to match say for an Ogre Scenario IV book. Maybe some of the entries for Ogrezine that didn't make the cut?
Or Maybe an island theme for GEV warfare.

Or am I just shooting blanks here?
It's not a bad idea to apply a variant to the backside of existing maps. The BGG thread, ice ice baby, where Keith sacrificed a G1 map to make an icepick map would have been a good candidate to do it to the backside instead.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:07 PM   #3
sparky00

I don't think I could bring my self to sacrifice a G or S map. But the back side of one might be feasible.
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:39 AM   #4
TheAmishStig

Had a thought:

Steve mentioned on Discord that he's picked at S4/G4 ideas on and off over the years, and was kinda inspired by the community's "Why not put S1/G1 on the backs of S3/G3, for those who don't have ODEs..."

There have been a lot of requests for Icepick as an "officially published" map, and the Pocket Box campaign has brought the one scenario that uses the Necromancer map back out of the shadows...

Instead of a setup that requires sacrificing existing maps, maybe we can talk them into making Icepick / Badlands either as a stand-alone campaign with another pair of venerable maps (Battlefields III, perchance?), or as a third board should Battlefields II comes to pass?
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:56 PM   #5
Misplaced Buckeye

For those of us with multiple sets reskinning the backs works at least for me on the Ogre boards
Old 03-01-2019, 12:03 PM   #6
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye View Post
For those of us with multiple sets reskinning the backs works at least for me on the Ogre boards
With ODE boards in general, sure...my thing is I don't want to see non-ODE owners left out in the cold, fearing that's a quick way to turn new blood resentful.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:07 PM   #7
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
With ODE boards in general, sure...my thing is I don't want to see non-ODE owners left out in the cold, fearing that's a quick way to turn new blood resentful.
I agree. Right now 6E players don't have access to G3/S3 unless they track down a copy of ODE. If the theoretical Battlefields 2 includes two new maps, I'd like to see those included in some fashion.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:26 PM   #8
Dave Crowell

Maps sized to fit the map boards for the G/S or classic Ogre maps is a good idea. The manufacturing secs for the boards are already done, so what would be needed is doing the art to fit. A little easier than having to engineer a new size of map board as well.

I would love to see Icepick. A big mounted Necromancer map would also have appeal for doing a Necromancer game with miniatures.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:19 AM   #9
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
I agree. Right now 6E players don't have access to G3/S3 unless they track down a copy of ODE. If the theoretical Battlefields 2 includes two new maps, I'd like to see those included in some fashion.
You and Andy have got to be the biggest negative Nancys. You don't think that if an Ogreist doesn't have access to a board that he won't take the reskin and apply it to chipboard. Yeeesh!! Give people credit...lol. How many are already creating their own maps in the Steam program or the Map Editor...This is just a way of getting maybe a higher quality product and creating more scenarios. Especially since you can download the G and S boards from the resource center.

Last edited by Misplaced Buckeye; 03-02-2019 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:48 AM   #10
ColBosch

...nope, not going to participate further here.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote