Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 02-09-2019, 11:52 AM   #1
hcobb

Default Tactical encounters book

Can somebody please write a book of drop in encounters?

Not just "14-hex dragon", but instead here's a mountain ridge map, here's the distance the dragon will spot the party at (with observation rolls on both sides), here's the tactics it will use (spoiler: claw swipe and fly, no breath), etc.

And do the same for a goblin (or dwarf) tunnel ambush, orc raiding party, elf forest ambush, and so on.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:15 PM   #2
TippetsTX

Default Re: Tactical encounters book

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Can somebody please write a book of drop in encounters?
This is a great idea. Did you suggest to Phil or Steve as a future kickstarter or maybe we could get a couple added to the Hexagram 'zine?
Old 02-09-2019, 01:57 PM   #3
industrialchild

That would be a sweet stretch goal for the zine! We're about to smash the next stretch goal with 4 more days left to go! Now would be a great time to propose that idea on the Kickstarter page!
industrialchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:33 PM   #4
malchidael

While not exactly what hcobb asked for, I figured I'd throw this out in it's pre-alpha form, as I also think published stand-alone/linked encounters is a fantastic idea.

I have NOT playtested this. This was supposed to be the "boss fight" of a series of linked encounters battling against the minions of the "Foul One".

The Summoning Ritual of Murak Zorazz

I started it, then Real Life kicked me in the butt. Things have started to return to my normal level of insanity, so I'm hoping to get back to it (barring me actually getting off my duff and starting a TFT:ITL campaign).

I hope I followed SJGames' fan online policy properly. If not, I will remove the file.
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:44 PM   #5
industrialchild

Thank you so much for sharing this malchidael! I loved reading through that and it sounds amazing! Very well put together! When I get more into The Fantasy Trip, I'll definitely give this a try!
Old 02-10-2019, 03:30 PM   #6
malchidael

Quote:
Originally Posted by industrialchild View Post
Thank you so much for sharing this malchidael! I loved reading through that and it sounds amazing! Very well put together! When I get more into The Fantasy Trip, I'll definitely give this a try!
Glad to share!

Just another warning that I haven't playtested it. So if you run it, please let me know the results, and if I get a chance to playtest it in the near future, I'll post an update.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:41 PM   #7
industrialchild

I surely will let you know! While I don't have the revamp of TFT...yet. I did back the Hexagram Zine project and do plan on adding The Legacy edition, Adventures and the Compendium via BackerKit later on.

However...I can still playtest this because a couple of months ago I was at my local used book store and became wide-eyed when I saw rubberbanded together Metagaming's TFT Melee, Wizard and In the Labyrinth... Unfortunately these were just the books, no counters or anything else, but I've been playing Melee and Wizard on a dry erase hex battle mat with some minis from Descent utilizing those rules. The price was a steal too! Four dollars! This find is definitely up there with a few other gaming finds for sure. I'm not sure at this point if there's a big difference in rules between the Metagaming publications vs. the 2018 reboot, so I hope my report back to you is as accurate as it could be, given this fact.

In a few days, Murak, I'll definitely let you know what my impressions of this are. I just printed out the map and taped it together! It looks gorgeous and makes me want to dive right in! Thanks for making this possible!
Old 02-10-2019, 06:08 PM   #8
malchidael

Quote:
Originally Posted by industrialchild View Post
I surely will let you know! While I don't have the revamp of TFT...yet. I did back the Hexagram Zine project and do plan on adding The Legacy edition, Adventures and the Compendium via BackerKit later on.

However...I can still playtest this because a couple of months ago I was at my local used book store and became wide-eyed when I saw rubberbanded together Metagaming's TFT Melee, Wizard and In the Labyrinth... Unfortunately these were just the books, no counters or anything else, but I've been playing Melee and Wizard on a dry erase hex battle mat with some minis from Descent utilizing those rules. The price was a steal too! Four dollars! This find is definitely up there with a few other gaming finds for sure. I'm not sure at this point if there's a big difference in rules between the Metagaming publications vs. the 2018 reboot, so I hope my report back to you is as accurate as it could be, given this fact.

In a few days, Murak, I'll definitely let you know what my impressions of this are. I just printed out the map and taped it together! It looks gorgeous and makes me want to dive right in! Thanks for making this possible!
Four dollars? That was a score!

Some of the talents and spells have changed; the rules fundamentally have not. The scenario should be fully compatible.

(as an aside, I don't own Descent, but when I was looking at it, I noticed that the Shadow Dragons look to be nearly perfect as 4-hex dragons when using the new standard 1.5" hexes)
Old 02-10-2019, 08:53 PM   #9
malchidael

Here is the pre-alpha version of my next encounter, The Druids Hut. My plan is to create my team of 4 starting ITL characters tomorrow and play through both encounters.

I'm supporting the business I work for from 5pm-midnight, so I'm hoping for a quiet night.

I decided to go with a non-Melee sized map - using Campaign Cartographer, it was a challenge on the initial scenario to get the Melee Map rotated to print horizontally. I know the hexes are a smidge under 1.5"; I'll scale them up after my playtest.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #10
RVA_Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by malchidael View Post
Here is the pre-alpha version of my next encounter, The Druids Hut. My plan is to create my team of 4 starting ITL characters tomorrow and play through both encounters.
This looks great. I love the detail of your maps. I am printing it out to try today.
We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public.
RVA_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote