Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 02-08-2019, 08:32 PM   #21
TippetsTX

Default Re: 14-Hex Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I'm not sure how an ordinary party playing under the current rules would approach the situation.
That's a good question... I wasn't specifically thinking about the new Legacy ruleset, but with characters effectively limited to 40 points, taking down a 14-hex dragon could be nigh-impossible now.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:01 PM   #22
hcobb

Even if the dragon could use magic it's no match for a party of 30 year olds, even if you don't let the four humans all be wizards. (Staff V for everybody!)

If the dragon just casts reverse missiles on itself then it falls asleep in only six turns.

Best it can hope for is Word of Command.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:06 PM   #23
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
What talents does the average dragon know?
Good question. I wouldn't add talents to summons or illusionary dragons. I think typical talents depend on the age and lifestyle of the dragon, but I think very common would be languages, recognize value, and tactics. I think many would learn detect lies. I think the longer-lived ones would tend to have more and more of the survival-related talents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles G. View Post
Another issue with dragons: why do the tails only (potentially) knock someone down? Why not allow damage, as well, since even a Reptile Man can do damage with their much smaller tails?
Another excellent comparison point. Again, I might want to keep the limit for illusions of dragons and maybe summoned ones, but I agree actual dragons should be able to hurt things with tail strikes if reptile men (or even the new ST 12 reptile children) can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
You know, the more I think about it, the description doesn't actually say that dragons can't cast spells (although I would concede that was probably the intent). It just says "they are never wizards" which could be reasonably interpreted to mean that dragons use the 'hero' template for how they spend IQ. So therefore, they can learn spells, albeit at the higher cost of 3-points per.
Well, yes, you're right... hmm.

It's one of those cases where someone might start to miss the original-edition -4 penalty for non-wizards to cast spells...

GM: You walk into the dragon's lair and discover it may have made it's three-die IQ roll to detect your approach. It seems to have been summoning 7-hex dragons... (rolls dice) you see another appear out of thin air...
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:31 PM   #24
larsdangly

Quote:
Even if the dragon could use magic it's no match for a party of 30 year olds, even if you don't let the four humans all be wizards. (Staff V for everybody!)

If the dragon just casts reverse missiles on itself then it falls asleep in only six turns.

Best it can hope for is Word of Command.
I'm sure you have something specific in mind, but I have not idea what you're talking about this time! 30 year olds and falling asleep in six turns - what is all that supposed to mean?
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:59 AM   #25
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I'm sure you have something specific in mind, but I have not idea what you're talking about this time! 30 year olds and falling asleep in six turns - what is all that supposed to mean?
Reverse Missiles: 28 strength to cast, 14 per turn to maintain.

Typical Age 20 starting Goblin wizard
ST 6 DX 9 IQ 17
Literacy, Goblinish, Humanish, Knife, Soc Tongue
7-Hex Wall, Calling, Cleansing, Create Gate, Regeneration, Spellsniffer, Staff I,II,III,IV,V etc

Work 10 years as a Town wizard, saving $100 per week, gaining 500 XP per year and dying a third of the time.

So with 5k XP and $50k we buy:

Add 5 DX: 1300 XP
Add 18 Mana: 3600 XP
Fine silver dagger: $1k
10 point powerstone in dagger hilt: $11k
Leather armor $100 With a +4 enchantment: $15k
Fireproofing potion: $250
Ring of iron flesh (from the previous 14-hex donor): $16k

With the final result of:

Typical Age 30 Goblin Wizard
ST 6 DX 14(12) IQ 17 Mana 18
Fine Silver Dagger-Staff(1d/1d+2) with 10 point powerstone, Leather Armor(2+4), Iron flesh ring(6), Fireproofing potion
Literacy, Goblinish, Humanish, Knife, Soc Tongue
7-Hex Wall, Calling, Cleansing, Create Gate, Regeneration, Spellsniffer, Staff I,II,III,IV,V etc

21 zaps from the holstered Dagger-Staff of which 20 hit doing an average of 110 damage which ignores armor.

Apparently dragons don't like the dragon flesh they smell on goblin breath.

Last edited by hcobb; 02-09-2019 at 06:00 AM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:10 AM   #26
warhorse11h

14 Hex Dragon
ST 100
DX 14
IQ 24
MA 8/24
armor 6 hits
claws 2d+2
breath 4 dice 5 ST/breath

Has a decorative collar that he wears with a number of gemstones of great value. 5 are significant.
One gem has Diamond Flesh on it, self-powered, always on.
A second gem has Reverse Missiles on it, self-powered, always on.
Third gem has Spell Shield on it, self powered, always on.
the fourth gem is a Powerstone 20 ST
and the fifth, well, who knows.

Plus, dragon has acquired, with assistance, several bags of Explosive Gems. He likes to take wing and then drop the gems on opponents, kind of a dragon Arc Light strike.

Just a hypothetical dragon. He loves roast Goblin.
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:40 AM   #27
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse11h View Post
Third gem has Spell Shield on it, self powered, always on.
That is a 12 million dollar magical item that took 226 enchanter years to make. (This is a vast underestimation. I'll run the actual numbers later.)

Once the location is revealed that dragon doesn't see the next sunrise.

The weekly payroll for all creatures living in the Duchy of Dran is a sizable fraction of the value of that one gem.

Last edited by hcobb; 02-09-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:24 AM   #28
warhorse11h

Quote:
That is a 12 million dollar magical item that took 226 enchanter years to make. (This is a vast underestimation. I'll run the actual numbers later.)

Once the location is revealed that dragon doesn't see the next sunrise.

The weekly payroll for all creatures living in the Duchy of Dran is a sizable fraction of the value of that one gem.
How long does a dragon live and how much treasure does he accumulate in a year. For that matter, how much experience has he gained in his centuries of life. I'll be happy to have you run the numbers. Me, I'll just use GM fiat and let it be.
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:37 AM   #29
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse11h View Post
How long does a dragon live and how much treasure does he accumulate in a year. For that matter, how much experience has he gained in his centuries of life. I'll be happy to have you run the numbers. Me, I'll just use GM fiat and let it be.
If the dragon had only a million dollars of loot on him then the Goblin would summon a greater demon to club it over the head (8d+4 averages 32 points, hits 90.74% of the time for an average of 18 points past that protection. The dragon is dead in 7 turns.)

Last edited by hcobb; 02-09-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:04 AM   #30
Skarg

Where in TFT do spell costs multiply with the hex size of the subject? (The only place I am aware of in enchanting items where the entire item is to be enchanted.)
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote