Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 01-17-2019, 04:55 PM   #1
GamerApe

Default Hex Sizes in the New TFT

Pardon me if I missed this in all the excitement, but will all the hexes in the I Want It All Kickstarter bundle be the new (1.5 inch) size, including Melee and Wizard? Will this be the standard from now on? And was there any mention of poster maps, similar to D&D5E products? Thanks!
GamerApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:21 PM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: Hex Sizes in the New TFT

Looks like it is the new standard. And all I can say is 'thank god!'. I've played a lot of sessions on the old 1" hexes and they are just too small for pretty much any miniatures, and barely big enough for cardboard markers (which typically touch in adjacent hexes, and so can't be rotated freely or moved without nudging neighbors). This was a controversial but, I would say, excellent move.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:26 PM   #3
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Note: The Pocket Box game uses a smaller size hex than the other titles.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:28 PM   #4
DarkPumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Note: The Pocket Box game uses a smaller size hex than the other titles.
Can I just point out a minor digital erratum: in the version I have, the PDF of the Pocket Box Melee map has not been "pocket box resized" like the Wizard map has; the hexes are still 1.5".
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:33 AM   #5
BrokenWynde

Please forgive my ignorance on TFT method of measuring hex sizes. I am aware of three ways to measure a hex. 1) distance between the flat sides, 2) diagonally point to point or 3) along one side. Which method?

Also when printing .pdf hexes, what are best printer settings to get accurate size hexes?

If this is covered some other where... please direct me to answer. Thanx!
BrokenWynde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:14 AM   #6
Skarg

The distance is measured from hexside to hexside, perpendicular to the sides.

(There were two old sizes. The old microgame maps were 1" across, the same as GURPS hexes, and worked well with the counters being less than 1" across. But the megahexes in the old Advanced Melee/Wizard/ITL were smaller than that and indeed a bit small for the old counters, and especially fiddly if you just had paper copies instead of mounting them on cardboard.)
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:07 PM   #7
BrokenWynde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post

(There were two old sizes. The old microgame maps were 1" across, the same as GURPS hexes, and worked well with the counters being less than 1" across. But the megahexes in the old Advanced Melee/Wizard/ITL were smaller than that and indeed a bit small for the old counters, and especially fiddly if you just had paper copies instead of mounting them on cardboard.)
Thanks much! This was very helpful as I haven't quite gotten around to unpacking my archived Melee/Wizard/ITL/etc books and Ral Partha minis yet so as to measure them.

After 30 years (alas, the kids grew up and moved away) of not playing it will be like Christmas when I open the boxes!!! Just think, now the big craze is Virtual Table Tops. Now THAT would be an interesting KickStarter!

Thanks again for the measurement info!!!
BrokenWynde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:21 PM   #8
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Or, equivalently, hex center to hex center.

(AFAIK, this is the usual method of specifying hex sizes in the gaming industry. In math class, you're more likely to see the length of one side, which mostly comes up in games when you want to know the area covered by one hex.)
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:10 AM   #9
JLV

Yeah, I always assumed the center dots were there for a reason -- and used them as the basis for measuring distances if it was ever important enough to worry about.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:55 AM   #10
Skarg

Aren't the center dots explicitly for determining line of sight blocks for ranged attacks and rolls to miss? Or did I just do that because I learned Squad Leader right before I learned TFT, and come to think it was mentioned in TFT too?
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote