Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

View Poll Results: What kind of counters/minis do you prefer for TFT?
Retro-style monocolor flat counters 12 19.35%
Retro-style full-color flat counters 14 22.58%
Cardboard Heroes style standies 19 30.65%
25mm metal minis 1 1.61%
28mm metal minis 5 8.06%
25mm resin/plastic minis 2 3.23%
28mm resin/plastic minis 4 6.45%
Other (please specify) 5 8.06%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-01-2019, 10:25 PM   #51
ak_aramis

Default Re: What kind of counters/figures do you want to see for TFT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infojunky View Post
There is enough support for 15mm Fantasy now as there was for 25mm fantasy when Melee 1st came out. The Trick is to Buy what is available then ask for more, then the market expands.
I just cranked through 12 sites ona search for 15mm. 7 in the UK, 3 in europe, 1 f in the US, and 1 that was for 18mm (and in the US).

The US 15mm's show no signs of being individually based, and their 10mm line is visibly conjoined troops.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:55 PM   #52
Infojunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
The US 15mm's show no signs of being individually based, and their 10mm line is visibly conjoined troops.
Hum, Both Splintered Light and Rebel Minis (Both in the USA) figures are individually based, as is the Selection from Khurasan. Also all of the Demonworld figures are available as loose figures (Ral Partha Europe)

"Never let the fans touch your assets"
Bruce Harlick 2007
Infojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:50 AM   #53
XRaysVision

Splintered Light makes execent figures. They were showing up at Millennium (I don’t know if they still are) where I got to see the figures. I ended up buying a bunch of them. I bought the Robins hood figures and dragons IIRC.

I also have Kurasan figures whic are also really good. But if you’re looking for a 15mm dragon, Splintered Light is going to be hard to beat.
XRaysVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:02 PM   #54
Infojunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRaysVision View Post

I also have Khurasan figures which are also really good. But if you’re looking for a 15mm dragon, Splintered Light is going to be hard to beat.
Funny thing is a lot of the Dragons produced over the years for 25/28mm work great as 15mm dragons as well.

"Never let the fans touch your assets"
Bruce Harlick 2007
Infojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:37 PM   #55
ColBosch

Yes, I am fully aware that there are some 15mm fantasy options. But they are tiny boutique lines compared to 25mm and above. I'll likely stick to Reaper Bones.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:18 AM   #56
XRaysVision

While I think that most people will play in 28mm, there are those who prefer 15/18mm. 15mm are much more space conservative. If a person has limited space, they might prefer using the original map (travel box) size and 15mm figures. There is also the cost. A quick trip through a 15mm vendor’s website demonstrates that those on a budget can get a lot more figures per $ that 28mm. Of course, there are those who just like ‘em.

For myself, I like them both. My collections are predominately 28mm, but I really like some of the offerings in 15mm and the thought of throwing the travel box in my backpack along with an SJG plastic box of 15mm figures for a lunch time Melee at work is awfully attractive.
XRaysVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #57
JLV

You know another thing I'd like to see in future TFT Kickstarters? Maybe another battlemat or two. Ideally one might show how to do buildings (and have a one-page rules "addendum" that addresses partial hexes and the like), while another might have some different terrains involving height changes and a rules addendum for those issues too. Dyson did such a great job on the first two; he might be persuaded to do another couple...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:01 PM   #58
HeatDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
We will not be supporting two separate sizes of counters/maps. The Pocket Box is a one-off item; anything we do going forward will be for the Legacy Edition game.
Pocket Box counters are exactly 75% the size of the Legacy Edition counters. Any TFT counters you can get ahold of in PDF form, you can print out at 75% scale, glue to a manilla folder (use a straightedge to squeegee out excess glue) and cut out to get lovely Pocket Box scale counters. I just made myself a set of the columns from Adventure 5, and they came out really well.

You can fit more manilla- backed counters in a Pocket Box than chipboard-backed ones anyways.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:22 AM   #59
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
Pocket Box counters are exactly 75% the size of the Legacy Edition counters. Any TFT counters you can get ahold of in PDF form, you can print out at 75% scale, glue to a manilla folder (use a straightedge to squeegee out excess glue) and cut out to get lovely Pocket Box scale counters. I just made myself a set of the columns from Adventure 5, and they came out really well.

You can fit more manilla- backed counters in a Pocket Box than chipboard-backed ones anyways.
And, if you happen to have copies of the old games, you can just use those counters straight up...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:58 PM   #60
mark hill

Im definitely for flat monochrome guys .. partially cause Ive drawn so many, but also both for stacking (essential for TFT) and the fact that its ridiculously simple (and fast, and cheap!) to make huge armies of guys. Monochrome cause I think its easier to read the battle on a long table

a complete set of painted models is a lifes work, costly as f***, and where will most common folk, who dont own a palace, store em all? not to mention the difficulty of transporting em to a game

just with 2d flat guys, Im having *significant* storage issues in my life (but Im stupid enuf to wanna draw more of the lil buggers)
mark hill is offline   Reply With Quote