Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-12-2019, 04:13 PM   #11
Belisar

Default Re: Jurassic Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigermann View Post
GURPS Dinosaurs (3e)
GURPS Lands out of Time
GURPS Big Lizzie
http://panoptesv.com/RPGs/animalia/animalia.html
Thanks, that helps alot! Will the 3e dinosaurs be easily converted to 4th with the update document?
Belisar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:20 PM   #12
dcarson

I'm working up a GURPS Space 1889 campaign that will be mainly on Venus. So lots of early SF swamps and jungles full of dinosaurs. Using all of animalia, Lands out of Time and 3e Dinosaurs. Should probably buy Big Lizzie.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:28 PM   #13
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belisar View Post
Thanks, that helps alot! Will the 3e dinosaurs be easily converted to 4th with the update document?
Very much yes. Dinosaurs is very useful; the biggest bit is the recalculation of ST and HP; as animals don't need point costs (except when built as Allies; Dinosaurs does not give point values for anything), you don't need to worry about whether things are priced with 3e or 4e costs.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:27 PM   #14
a humble lich

I did a steampunk game where the PCs hunted dinosaurs in darkest Africa. I also had an adventure in a Shadowrun game which basically was Jurassic Park. (PCs went to an island which had a theme park with lots of dangerous critters, the critters got out, and the PCs had to escape.)
a humble lich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:59 PM   #15
Icelander

I can't say that I have.

If I did, I'd want magic around, so I could have dinosaurs with supernatural abilities to work around any inconvenient limitations that threatened to reduce the Cool Quotient. Somehow, I'll accept blatant violations of biologigy and physics, but only if there is an in-setting reason something can break the rules. I hate 'cinematic' rules, where things are unrealistic for metagame reasons and there is no in-setting rationale.

And if I featured dinosaurs (and archosaurs, ichthyosaurs, mosasaurs, plesiosaurs, etc.), I'd want humans who specialize in hunting them and humans who ride them.

Incidentally, what seem like the best land-based dino-mounts, to replace horses in a pulp Lost World?

Last edited by Icelander; 02-12-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:27 PM   #16
AlexanderHowl

The problem is that dinosaurs are too powerful for TL4- and too weak for TL6+. Dinosaurs make good enemies for TL5 campaigns though.

Of course, they become much more fearsome if they have a minimum DR and Injury Tolerance equal to SM (minimum 0 and 1 respectively). In that case, they become quite capable enemies, though somewhat cinematic.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:29 PM   #17
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Incidentally, what seem like the best land-based dino-mounts, to replace horses in a pulp Lost World?
I'd go with Ceratopsians, from the pony-sized Protoceratops through the classic ox-sized Triceratops, and theropods such as the Utahraptor. While Ceratopsians would look cool, they likely lack speed, being more akin to riding an elephant than a horse. Theropods are faster, built for running, but being carnivores likely require a heavy animal protein rich diet, which calls for more bronto meat (and other large herbivores) to be farmed to support the raptors.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:58 PM   #18
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
I'd go with Ceratopsians, from the pony-sized Protoceratops through the classic ox-sized Triceratops, and theropods such as the Utahraptor. While Ceratopsians would look cool, they likely lack speed, being more akin to riding an elephant than a horse. Theropods are faster, built for running, but being carnivores likely require a heavy animal protein rich diet, which calls for more bronto meat (and other large herbivores) to be farmed to support the raptors.
Besides which, there is the issue of taming/domesticating a carnivore for riding/draft purposes. Has that _ever_ been done? (On any level above a freak instance, you can probably find a freak example of anything.) Carnivores have been domesticated as work animals and pets (dogs), pets and vermin control (cats), but I can't think of any case where a carnivore was reliably used as a mount or a draft animal. The creatures that are, oxen, cattle, horses, elephants, etc. are all herbivores to my knowledge.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:00 PM   #19
Johnny1A.2

My world has lots of dinosaurs in it, mostly on other planets (long story). But I don't know that they've ever been central to anything.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:13 PM   #20
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
Besides which, there is the issue of taming/domesticating a carnivore for riding/draft purposes. Has that _ever_ been done? (On any level above a freak instance, you can probably find a freak example of anything.) Carnivores have been domesticated as work animals and pets (dogs), pets and vermin control (cats), but I can't think of any case where a carnivore was reliably used as a mount or a draft animal. The creatures that are, oxen, cattle, horses, elephants, etc. are all herbivores to my knowledge.
Pshaw!

There is a reason I want magic in my Dinosaurs & Humans setting. Insert shamanic ritual where young man enters a warrior society and receives the appropriate dino-mount as his beast totem. Et voila!