Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 03-31-2014, 07:09 PM   #1
Padovese

Default 3 hand weapon equipped by a hireling

We ran into an issue tonight, about a hireling that can legally equip the "3 Handed Sword." I know that hirelings can equip weapons that are legal for them but all of the hirelings only have 2 hands. So the question is can a hireling equip an item that requires 3 hands?
Padovese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:43 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: 3 hand weapon equipped by a hireling

A Hireling that can carry and use a weapon for you can use any weapon so long as it is appropriate to what the Hireling can use. For example, a Wizard Hireling can use any weapon a Wizard can legally use. Since a Wizard can use any Item without Class/Race Restrictions, as well as Items that say "usable by Wizard only," and the Three-Handed Sword has no Class/Race restrictions, the Wizard Hireling can use the Three-Handed Sword.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #3
GnomeBard

Okay, I've been playing Munchking for a couple months now and I'm always learning new rules that I haven't known before so I come on these threads to check out what I might be not understanding.

So I come across this thread and think I know what the outcome is going to be and I read this curveball. What I understand from the moderator is that a Hireling is a cheat card essentially. They can hold whatever you want as long as it isn't restricted by class/race but I would have to say that it makes no sense that a hireling can wield a 3 handed sword given that it strictly requires "3 hands" to use. That is just as much of a restriction as a class/race. Unless you are saying that the hireling can wield the "3 Handed Sword" because my character is only wielding one weapon and I essentially have 3 extra hand spots bc of the hireling, then I would disagree with this ruling. It seems to contradict the logic that is usually used to argue the games rules.

I would say that a hireling should be able to use any card that doesn't contradict the common restrictions given to each player i.e. 2 hands, class/race restrictions. One card I think that could be argued here is a "Matching Set" card. No restrictions and its one card.
GnomeBard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:33 PM   #4
MunchkinMan

The rules for Hirelings don't say how many heads, Hands, feet, or torsos they have, and therefore do not establish the same restrictions a player must operate under. The Hirelings that use an Item for you typically say that they use an Item that X can use, where X is the appropriate Class or Race. I'm on my phone, so I won't repeat what I already wrote above, to reduce myself the pain of having to write it all again on this clumsy interface. My statements above are the official line, and represent the intended and desired purpose of those kind of Hireling cards
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:32 PM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomeBard View Post
What I understand from the moderator is that a Hireling is a cheat card essentially.
Yes, one that lets you swap Items in and out.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:37 AM   #6
GnomeBard

Alright, sounds good guys. Thanks for the clarification. I just had to push the point because I know when I do this (give a 3 Handed Sword to a Hireling) I will have to be able to prove that it is doable.
GnomeBard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equipping, hireling