Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 06-22-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
anathanatoid

Default Fighting High Level Monsters

Okay -- we're newbies and many things confuse us.... This is question 3 of 4 (all in separate threads)...

Player A is a Level 3 Magician. He opens a door and there is the Plutonium Dragon (Level 20). Fortunately, the dragon will not pursue anyone of Level 5 or below.

However, Player A decides to throw in all his cards to charm the dragon anyway, thereby getting the 5 treasures.

Is this okay? More generally, can a player decide to go to battle with a monster even if the monster would normally ignore the player?
anathanatoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:58 AM   #2
Nerftw

Default Re: Fighting High Level Monsters

Yes, "does not pursue" only applies to running away. It means you don't have to roll the dice, you succeed automatically. You can still choose to fight the monster, or in the Wizard's case, charm it and get the treasure. That's actually a pretty common tactic with the Plutonium Dragon.
Nerftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
Kirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerftw View Post
It means you don't have to roll the dice, you succeed automatically.
When a player must run away, but the monster will not pursue, the player does have to roll the dice, it is just that escape is automatic regardless of what is rolled.

"Running Away" includes rolling dice to run away. This is necessary because some cards cannot be played until a run-away roll, or any roll, is made. It is not fair to deprive other players the chance to play such cards if they choose.
Kirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
MunchkinMan

I'm really trying hard to think of why this matters. Why should I not deprive a guy of using a card that will make me re-roll, or adjust the result of my roll, when the result of my roll won't matter? I'm tired, it's been a long day and the beginning of a long week for me, so maybe I'm not recalling any cards where massive benefits can be gained by playing off someone's Run Away roll against a Monster that won't even chase them. If you're going to make potentially wild claims you need to do one of two things: a) Show me where Andrew or I said, in this forum, that it's a necessity, or b) convince me by telling me the card names of the cards that you think warrant rolling when not necessary.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
Kirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
If you're going to make potentially wild claims you need to do one of two things: a) Show me where Andrew or I said, in this forum, that it's a necessity, or b) convince me by telling me the card names of the cards that you think warrant rolling when not necessary.
I was misremembering a discussion about Dead End.

Andrew has said here and here that in such cases a roll is NOT necessary.

I stand corrected, and apologize for my wild claim (and moreso for not checking it first before I made it).

Last edited by Kirt; 06-22-2010 at 03:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Kirt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charm, combat, does not pursue, wizard