Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 11-02-2010, 09:40 AM   #51
copeab

Default Re: Seaplanes & Submarines

Looks like I'm going to be using the setting for a one-shot adventure in a few weeks. The PCs will be crew members on a light civilian cargo sub, roughly similar to the Ha-101, a 500 ton, 45m sub with a cargo capacity of 60 tons. It might carry a one-man autogyro for utility purposes. I've decided to go with diesel-electrics for sub powerplants, with gasoline (or less common, diesel) for aircraft. Civilian subs do not carry torpedoes but can carry deck guns; civilian aircraft can only carry "defensive" guns.

As for geography, I've decided to go with two large land masses (each about the size of Australia) about 15,000 km apart on nearly opposite sides of the world. Between them are hundreds of islands, the largest perhaps 100 x 100 km. Almost all heavy industry is on the major two land masses. Perhaps 10% of the islands have working oil wells; these are accompanied by refineries and well-defended. Many islands are poorly or completely unexplored.

(I'm taking a bit of a Traveller view to this setting, with the two major land masses representing opposing empires and the island representing low-population worlds which may be allied to one of the two major powers (those closest to them), formed their own little alliances, or independent.)

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:25 PM   #52
Kale

Sounds like you are off to a good start. Who enforces the 'law of the sea' in each area? Is there such a thing as 'international waters'?
Old 11-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #53
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale View Post
Sounds like you are off to a good start. Who enforces the 'law of the sea' in each area? Is there such a thing as 'international waters'?
The two empires control the waters within, oh, 1,000 km of their continent and influence drops off from that. There is perhaps a 1,000 km band on each side of the planet where neither empire has much influence and their (military) ships and planes are rarely seen. There are no 'international waters' as such, but there are large expanses where no one is clearly on control (or no one is in control at all). And yes, this means there are lots of pirates ;)

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com

Last edited by copeab; 11-02-2010 at 06:36 PM.
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:34 PM   #54
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
The two empires control the waters within, oh, 1,000 km of their continent and influence drops of from that. There is perhaps a 1,000 km band on each side of the planet where neither empire has much influence and their (military) ships and planes are rarely seen. There are no 'international waters' as such, but there are large expanses where no one is clearly on control (or no one is in control at all). And yes, this means there are lots of pirates ;)
I hope you don't mind, but I'm probably going to steal some of this.

Tags
cliffhager, pulp, seaplane, submarine