Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-11-2019, 11:50 AM   #1
Tywyll

Default Death Test Mappable?

So I was trying to map the first death Test and three times I found passages that looped back or went the wrong direction or curved back impossibly.
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:46 PM   #2
Chris Rice

Default Re: Death Test Mappable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywyll View Post
So I was trying to map the first death Test and three times I found passages that looped back or went the wrong direction or curved back impossibly.
Well, if it loops back then it loops back; it's not impossible, it just may not be specifically detailed in the paragraph descriptions. I don't recall anyone ever complaining that they got lost or hit a dead-end in DT. In reality it was never intended to be mapped, so if you really feel the need to map it then you may need to accept some impossible loop backs.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:12 PM   #3
FrankB

I mapped it out - back in the day....looks like I need to dive back in.
FrankB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:30 PM   #4
Skarg

We mapped out Death Test back circa 1980, and it mapped out just fine. It's not a very complicated map.

I think either there's a typo in the new edition (seems unlikely), or you made a mistake interpreting/mapping or following the directions.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:39 PM   #5
malchidael

I mapped out the vintage Death Test 1, and I posted my simplified map in the forums. Not posting a link because you should have fun exploring :)

If you find it, award your characters 5XP.
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:51 PM   #6
Axly Suregrip

A typical error I see folks do is forget they are going West and go East, but continue to map it like West. And some passages bend so if the players are not paying attention to when it bent, again they mess up their map. Or other such differences/errors.

I have mapped DT and DT2 and found no errors.

The old Security Station had errors, which are hard to find since that one was all about gates, but they are there.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:19 PM   #7
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
A typical error I see folks do is forget they are going West and go East, but continue to map it like West. And some passages bend so if the players are not paying attention to when it bent, again they mess up their map. Or other such differences/errors.

I have mapped DT and DT2 and found no errors.

The old Security Station had errors, which are hard to find since that one was all about gates, but they are there.
Yep!

After the question on here about Security Station some months ago, I finally found the errata about that.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:26 PM   #8
JLV

Honestly, when I mapped vintage Death Test back in the day, I don't think you could get much simpler by way of a map... Seems to me someone made a mapping error somewhere.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:05 AM   #9
Tywyll

Well maybe there are typos in the new edition then?

Literally there are passages they say things like Go South (page XX). You go to Page XX and it says 'You are facing west...' There are places where it leads back to a previous room but after two right turns (i.e. not enough to actually create a loop).

Ditto for DT2.

Also, they are meant to be mapped...it talks about mapping them in the front of the book.
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:07 AM   #10
malchidael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywyll View Post
Well maybe there are typos in the new edition then?

Literally there are passages they say things like Go South (page XX). You go to Page XX and it says 'You are facing west...' There are places where it leads back to a previous room but after two right turns (i.e. not enough to actually create a loop).

Ditto for DT2.

Also, they are meant to be mapped...it talks about mapping them in the front of the book.
In DT1, in the four "corners" of the labyrinth there are "L" shaped corridors - they turn 90 degrees without mentioning it.

I don't want to give too many spoilers, but
Spoiler:  

I'm going to be sitting in a hotel room tomorrow night - I was planning on bringing one of the Dark City Games solo adventures with me, but perhaps I'll bring the revised Death Tests and see if I can find any typos.
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote