Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-20-2015, 02:47 AM   #1
Vynticator

Default TBaM without skills

Is there an official pricing for Trained by a Master without access to any of cinematic skills list? I.e. only the combat bonuses to multiple parry/rapid strike and unarmed skills?

If not, how would you price such an advantage?
Vynticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:34 AM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: TBaM without skills

As far as I remember, skill access is pretty cheap, accounting at most for [6] out of the whole price (probably slightly less). After all, you can get individual cinematic skills for [1] as Unusual Training, and they should get cheaper in bulk.
Halved Rapid Strike is killer, though: it essentially makes you never want to buy DWA or EA again, as +3 skill [12] is extremely versatile and cheap.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:47 AM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vynticator View Post
Is there an official pricing for Trained by a Master without access to any of cinematic skills list? I.e. only the combat bonuses to multiple parry/rapid strike and unarmed skills?

If not, how would you price such an advantage?
Very early in 4e (so early ythat it occurred on the old Pyramid Forums and not here) I had a character who was very good with a greatsword but had no knowledge of the Cinematic Skills. I handled this as Weapon Master (20pts) and Mundane (-10pts).

There was some controversy but the eventual consensus was that it was probably legal. This theory would make the access to Cinematic Skills 10 pts and would probably apply to TBAM as well.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:57 AM   #4
WingedKagouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Very early in 4e (so early ythat it occurred on the old Pyramid Forums and not here) I had a character who was very good with a greatsword but had no knowledge of the Cinematic Skills. I handled this as Weapon Master (20pts) and Mundane (-10pts).

There was some controversy but the eventual consensus was that it was probably legal. This theory would make the access to Cinematic Skills 10 pts and would probably apply to TBAM as well.
Note that Mundane Background blocks out access to all kinds of supernatural skills, including Occultism and Hidden Lore. Also, it is only a legal disadvantage if the campaign includes such elements.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:15 AM   #5
Varyon

GURPS often follows a "5 is all" approach - a single-use ability is 1/5th the price of an infinite-use one, Offhand Weapon Training (applies to one skill/use) is 1/5th the cost of Ambidexterity (applies to all uses), and so forth. Having access to all the cinematic skills/Techniques is therefore arguably worth [5]. Now, technically speaking, that [1] for Unusual Training (I think that's the Perk) is for a limited version of a cinematic skill/Technique (Dual Weapon Attack, but only against a single attacker; Breaking Blow, but only against braced objects) so you might be able to stretch that up to [10]. If doing so, I'd give TbaM some additional bonuses (that reducing the price by [10] gets rid of) - stealing from Peter Dell'Orto (I think), characters with TbaM treat their unarmed strikes as weapons, so they suffer no penalties to Parry swung weapons and don't risk damaging themselves when punching foes with weapons and/or DR 3+.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote