Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 12-28-2018, 04:00 PM   #1
hcobb

Default Daily grind for XP grinding

Any feedback on 10 XPs per job roll?

That's the level I get to make my NPC's advance at a rate consistent with population models to generate enough supervisors for each level.

If the NPCs aren't getting XP from work then does their family strife count as arena combat?
Old 07-02-2019, 09:08 AM   #2
Tywyll

Default Re: Daily grind for XP grinding

I'm toying with some ideas for that as well.

Of course the original rules gave you an attribute point when you got the special result, so there was advancement.

I saw a house rule that went something like:
3=Stats x5xp
4-5=Stats x4xp
6-7=Stats x3xp
8-9=Stats x2xp
10=Stats x1
11=Stats x1/2

I like that idea, but it doesn't take into account different job chances.
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:37 AM   #3
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywyll View Post
Of course the original rules gave you an attribute point when you got the special result, so there was advancement.
The original rules were also later studied statistically by players, and shown to provide ridiculous results where retirees were typically 50+ attribute points (better listen when they yell "get off my lawn").
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:39 AM   #4
Tywyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
The original rules were also later studied statistically by players, and shown to provide ridiculous results where retirees were typically 50+ attribute points (better listen when they yell "get off my lawn").
I'd have to see that math. I find it hard to imagine that such characters would also survive the 4d6 damage from a bad roll often enough for that to occur.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:18 AM   #5
Shoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywyll View Post
I'm toying with some ideas for that as well.

I saw a house rule that went something like:
3=Stats x5xp
4-5=Stats x4xp
6-7=Stats x3xp
8-9=Stats x2xp
10=Stats x1
11=Stats x1/2

I like that idea, but it doesn't take into account different job chances.
My XP is awarded like this, but this is backwards. I reward bad rolls with more XP, and failure with more XP. I have two marks: Tally, and stars. Tally marks are worth 10 XP (I play with extremely accelerated XP, a tally could be worth 3-5 realistically), stars are worth 2xIQ XP. They are awarded whenever you make a significant die roll, like a combat roll or a regular old check. Any sufficiently warranted roll warrants XP. Marks are then awarded as follows:

Roll>=6 awards 1 Tally
Roll>=9 awards 2 Tallies
Roll>=12 awards 3 Tallies
Roll=16 awards 3 Tallies and 1 Star
Roll=17 awards 3 Tallies and 2 Stars
Roll=18 awards 3 Tallies and 3 Stars
A failed roll always awards 1 additional Tally.

There are two primary reasons I have for awarding XP for failure and bad rolls. The first is open to disagreement, but I think it's realistic that failure teaches you more than success. If everything goes smoothly, you'll never learn what can go wrong. The second is simply a game design decision. I think that it makes it less ruthlessly punishing to fail horribly if you get a big XP reward for it. Yeah you rolled an 18 and broke your weapon, but hey! At least you got a bunch of XP (that you might not even get to spend, because you just rolled an 18 which means you are utterly at the mercy of fate).
Shoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:09 AM   #6
Tywyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoug View Post
My XP is awarded like this, but this is backwards. I reward bad rolls with more XP, and failure with more XP. I have two marks: Tally, and stars. Tally marks are worth 10 XP (I play with extremely accelerated XP, a tally could be worth 3-5 realistically), stars are worth 2xIQ XP. They are awarded whenever you make a significant die roll, like a combat roll or a regular old check. Any sufficiently warranted roll warrants XP. Marks are then awarded as follows:

Roll>=6 awards 1 Tally
Roll>=9 awards 2 Tallies
Roll>=12 awards 3 Tallies
Roll=16 awards 3 Tallies and 1 Star
Roll=17 awards 3 Tallies and 2 Stars
Roll=18 awards 3 Tallies and 3 Stars
A failed roll always awards 1 additional Tally.

There are two primary reasons I have for awarding XP for failure and bad rolls. The first is open to disagreement, but I think it's realistic that failure teaches you more than success. If everything goes smoothly, you'll never learn what can go wrong. The second is simply a game design decision. I think that it makes it less ruthlessly punishing to fail horribly if you get a big XP reward for it. Yeah you rolled an 18 and broke your weapon, but hey! At least you got a bunch of XP (that you might not even get to spend, because you just rolled an 18 which means you are utterly at the mercy of fate).
That system sound really neat, but also kind of cumbersome. Are you doing it for every single roll? How does this relate to Job rolls?

Then again, my xp system is pretty clunky... you get xp for every point of damage you roll (not inflict, I include armor as armored foes should be worth more), every point you heal via physicker, every point of Fatique, and every point of damage you suffer.

Monsters then give a flat value based on their relative strength (1, 5, 12, 25, 50, 100, 200+). This value is split amongst everyone involved in a fight as I think sometimes a trip spell is more valuable to killing a fool then a summoned bear and should be similarly rewarded!

Then you get xp for saves, completing goals, roleplaying, exploration, and various other odds and ends.