Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:13 AM   #1
Valadrim

Default Armor in GURPS Ogre

Hey guys. I have a question about how BPC armor holds up to a SATNUC. On page 109 of GURPS Ogre it says that BPC ablates 1 per 50 points of damage, but in the combine infantry article, http://www.sjgames.com/pyramid/sample.html?id=3360 it not only says 1 per 500 but has a lengthy example showing this. The 1 per 500 feels odd, but having not yet played I don't know which one is most appropriate. Can you give me your input?

Also as I am in the process of making sure the game makes sense for 4th edition, if you know of any pit-falls that I should be aware of I would appreciate hearing what you have to say. I suspect some of the battlefield scale things will be tricky, but I don't know yet.

Thank you.
Valadrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
ak_aramis

Default Re: Armor in GURPS Ogre

Pitfalls? depends upon your players...

if they know Ogre, GEV, and Battlesuit, they might be expecting micronuke armed infantry... but G:O retconned the nuclear armed infantry away.
If they don't know the world of Ogre via the Ogre/GEV/Battlesuit lines, it's a non-issue.

Also, the setting is one where active duty military characters are the norm; make certain that you don't have the wrong people taking charge by buying rank.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
Valadrim

Pyramid put nukes back in the hands of infantry, specifying that Combine infantry are built around that SATNUC, and providing rules for it.

Military games can suffer that problem, but I was more curious if I am likely to run into difficulties attempting to run a 4th ed game with this book. I assume that if I don't import any ultra-tech arms or armor I can at least get a consistent game if not a wholly 4th ed one, but I wanted to ask those of you who have already done this if I have any special hurdles.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
Apache
On Notice

I always assumed that the G:OGRE battlesuits were very baseline examples, and that the nuclear rocket launchers were special equipment only issued when they were about to go into battle.

I think they even mentioned that the rocket launcher provided in the book could launch SATNUC's, IIRC.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
hcobb

Note that armor and HPs got changed around for G4e so shaped nuclear charges will need to be redone from scratch.

Have they been covered in any of the new books yet?
Old 10-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
Valadrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Note that armor and HPs got changed around for G4e so shaped nuclear charges will need to be redone from scratch.
Could you elaborate a little about the armor and HP changes that will be relevant?
Old 10-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valadrim View Post
Could you elaborate a little about the armor and HP changes that will be relevant?
Armor hasn't changed. 1" RHA still is DR 70. HP has changed for inanimate objects. Compare the rules differences in the rules in the Technology chapter of campaigns with those in GURPS Vehicles (and by extension GURPS Ogre).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #8
hcobb

My bad, High-Tech has exactly the same damage and modifiers as G4 basic set.

Note that Pulver's rules from GO are official while mine (from the linked article) are only usable.

If you want to keep Pulver's one in fifty DR reduction then go ahead, but I suggest that you playtest a few rounds hitting in the same spot first.

If you do keep Pulver's rules then Infantry do NOT need nukes as the Personal Gauss Cannon can eat entirely through the main front armor of a Mark V in only 100 seconds.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:47 PM   #9
Apache
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
My bad, High-Tech has exactly the same damage and modifiers as G4 basic set.

Note that Pulver's rules from GO are official while mine (from the linked article) are only usable.

If you want to keep Pulver's one in fifty DR reduction then go ahead, but I suggest that you playtest a few rounds hitting in the same spot first.

If you do keep Pulver's rules then Infantry do NOT need nukes as the Personal Gauss Cannon can eat entirely through the main front armor of a Mark V in only 100 seconds.
And heavy tanks have about a 33% of popping said Mark V with a gauss round....per shot. Yeah, Pulver and them did such a WONDERFUL job on G:Ogre.

*rolls eyes*

And LGEVS roast SHVYs with their SATNUC rounds.....

*bites back further sarcastic comments*