Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 09-29-2013, 12:44 AM   #1
Bosinchi

Default Newbie Apocalypse question

Hi,
Played first game this weekend, and have a question about turn sequence that I would like to have cleared up.
Scenario 1:
Background: 6 seals are already opened
Player A kicks open door, draws a "+10 to monster and open a seal card"
Because Player B saw that someone had the ability to open a seal, player B says "before you make your next move, I'm playing a 'close a seal' card"
seals drop down to 5,
Player A goes looking for trouble and plays the "+10 to monster and open a seal card" along with the monster

Is this legal for player B to close a seal in between player A kicking open a door and looking for trouble? or does the 7th seal trigger because player A does everything in 1 consecutive motion?

Scenario 2:
Player A draws a disaster card.
Player B uses "play this card to cancel a disaster, open a seal"
Player C argues that since Scenario 1 happened, player C can use Militia's ability to cancel the disaster before player B can play his card and trigger the 7th seal.

I was player B in both the above situations, and I believe based on timing, scenario 1 is acceptable and scenario 2 isn't, since scenario 1 is a reaction to "kick down a door" which didn't have a seal opening effect, even though I know that someone had the ability to open a seal, whereas scenario 2 was a reaction to the seal opening, which isn't allowed as per the rules.

Can someone let me know if I've missed something?
Bosinchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: Newbie Apocalypse question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosinchi View Post
Is this legal for player B to close a seal in between player A kicking open a door and looking for trouble?
Yes, provided the card B played is valid to be played on another player's turn (and most such cards are). If timing is important, cards are resolved in the order they hit the table, and it is very unlikely that Player A will be able to play both the monster and the Monster Enhancer before Player B plays his card to close the Seal.

Quote:
Player A draws a disaster card.
Player B uses "play this card to cancel a disaster, open a seal"
Player C argues that since Scenario 1 happened, player C can use Militia's ability to cancel the disaster before player B can play his card and trigger the 7th seal.
Again, cards are resolved in the order they hit the table. If Player C discards his cards before Player B plays his card, then it would be cancelled that way and Player B would not be allowed to play his card. Once Player B plays his card, it's too late for Player C to change his mind and cancel it instead.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:22 AM   #3
Bosinchi

Scenario 2 seems pretty cut and dry then.

Just to further elaborate on Scenario 1:
Player A had the most bonus points, so player A had every incentive to open the 7th seal as quickly as possible.
To rephrase the questions a bit:

1. is it allowed to request a pause between "Kick the door" and "looking for trouble" to play a card?

2. or once "Kick the door" revealed a "+10 to monster and open a seal" card, since it is contingent on having a monster in play, it would be a race between Player A and Player B to see whether Player A can throw a monster out first or Player B to close a seal first?

2a) If it is a race, does Player A have an obligation to bring the "+10 to monster and open a seal" card into their hands first before playing it with the monster? or can they just leave the card on the table since it is drawn face up and drop a monster card to compensate for the missing criteria?

I know it seems like a bit too much details, but in a race, every moment counts. :)
Bosinchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosinchi View Post
1. is it allowed to request a pause between "Kick the door" and "looking for trouble" to play a card?
Yes, but this is something you will generally need to agree upon with your group. Nothing in the rules would make it a requirement to give others an opportunity to play cards before you Look for Trouble.

Quote:
2. or once "Kick the door" revealed a "+10 to monster and open a seal" card, since it is contingent on having a monster in play, it would be a race between Player A and Player B to see whether Player A can throw a monster out first or Player B to close a seal first?
By a strict interpretation of the rules, yes, although Player A needs to play both the monster and then the enhancer before Player B plays his card. Personally, I always give a very small break between playing a sequence of cards in case anybody does want to play cards, but then quickly move on.

Quote:
2a) If it is a race, does Player A have an obligation to bring the "+10 to monster and open a seal" card into their hands first before playing it with the monster? or can they just leave the card on the table since it is drawn face up and drop a monster card to compensate for the missing criteria?
Player A cannot Look for Trouble until s/he has completed Kicking Open the Door, and taking the drawn card into your hand is the final step of Kicking Open the Door. Thus, leaving it on the table is not an option.